New rear bumper for the D90 - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old May 31st, 2008, 09:58 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
please post some pricing information. Will you be shipping have the eight been spoken for? Will they have a tire carrier?
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2008, 10:11 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
tire carrier + Hi Lift mounting bolts.. thats what Id like to see.. Third brake light bracket too!
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:45 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

Here's a couple pictures showing our working prototype.
I already have a small list of minor mods - yes this will have Jerry Can holders, Hi-lift mounts and most likely a CB tab - we'll look into the light bracket too..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0624s.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	13757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0626s.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	13758  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2008, 08:26 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Woah, its lookin great! awesome!

Is it just me or does it look like the spare is going to be sticking way off the back? I'd want the whole thing as tight to the crossmember as possible if I was designing.

keep it up, count me IN!!!

~Steve
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Paul,

Is that a lift in your garage that the green 97 is on ?

Hats off to your wife for letting you have two 90's without demanding one for herself.

Bumper looks good- does it rattle @ all ? The swingout hinge looks similar if not the same as the one that Matt @ Rockware uses.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:17 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
Paul,

Is that a lift in your garage that the green 97 is on ?

Hats off to your wife for letting you have two 90's without demanding one for herself.

Bumper looks good- does it rattle @ all ? The swingout hinge looks similar if not the same as the one that Matt @ Rockware uses.
Yup a four post lift - doubles as a loading dock.
The wife is good people - she wants me to keep both D90s - I can't justify two - we'll see what happens.

I have not driven the D90 with the bumper and tire attached yet - plan to do that this weekend - I'll let you know.
Old June 7th, 2008, 06:06 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Paul, one last thing.. is there some sort of hold-open detent or rod or something planned?

~Steve
Old June 8th, 2008, 08:15 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
THe bumper does appear to stick out quite a bit but perhaps to accomadate the receiver hitch etc. looking good, I am anxious to see the finish product. if it can be built with jerry can holders and a highlift mount Ill never need a roof rack. looks stout enough i like the corner protectors. I am wondering about the final fit and finish on a production version. Have you given any thought to pricing and availibility?
Old June 9th, 2008, 02:40 AM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Are you guys planning on a 110 version?
Old June 9th, 2008, 07:29 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf110
Are you guys planning on a 110 version?

I am not too familiar with the 110 ...please educate me ... what would the difference be?

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
THe bumper does appear to stick out quite a bit but perhaps to accomadate the receiver hitch etc. looking good, I am anxious to see the finish product. if it can be built with jerry can holders and a highlift mount Ill never need a roof rack. looks stout enough i like the corner protectors. I am wondering about the final fit and finish on a production version. Have you given any thought to pricing and availibility?
The tire does/will stick out a bit - but this is do to accomodate the "Jerry Can" holders which is not shown in the photo. On top of the frame will be two bolts to attach Hi-lift.

If folks are concerned about the tire distance - we might be able to look at providing two bumper/tire carrier options - One with the Jerry Can/Hi-lift option and maybe one with just an A frame and shorter tire distance.

As far as pricing/availibility we are still working on that.
We've ordered one of the "stub axle/bearing pivots" as suggested by revtor to see if it's worth using.

Ron and I are still discussing finish options - I'd like to keep it simple and let the end user finish the bumper as they wish - this would keep the cost down a little and get the product out the door faster.

We are meeting this week and should have most of the details worked out and a price.
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:25 AM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

[QUOTE=pmd]I am not too familiar with the 110 ...please educate me ... what would the difference be?

On the 110, the rear fenders are longer. From the rear to the wheel well it is probably 2x longer than a D90.
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:14 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Will they all have tire carrier or will you build one without? Like in the first photos you posted??
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:29 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Will they all have tire carrier or will you build one without? Like in the first photos you posted??
The plan was to do bumpers with tire carriers - I think doing some without could be an option.

Follow-up Post:

[QUOTE=surf110]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd
I am not too familiar with the 110 ...please educate me ... what would the difference be?

On the 110, the rear fenders are longer. From the rear to the wheel well it is probably 2x longer than a D90.

Thanks
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:12 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Smile

The bumper is out about 3.5 inches from the rear cross member. This was done to accommodate the Gerry cans and makes it easier to get the half inch bolts started through the cross member. It looks like it sticks out because we had to accommodate the tire off set also.
We will have an option for a tire carrier and high lift only, its more like an A frame.

The bumper uses the stock bolt holes already on the NAS D90. This bumper should work with a 110 but the corner protectors would be eliminated for that application because that would be alot of metal hanging out on the rear quarters. This bumper should also work with an ExMod and the drop down tail gate.

This unit can be sold without the tire carrier if someone has an interest. Im not sure of interference with the stock tire carrier as they use the same bolt holes.But you could definetly use it with the SW.

I donít think this bumper/carrier is for everyone. But if you are tired of door rattles and replacing door hinges on your rear SW door then this is your bumper. If you want a beefier rear bumper with corner protection then this is your bumper. If you want a place to carry Gerry cans and a high lift jack then this is your bumper.
If you want something the other kids on the block donít have then this is your bumper.

The estimated production build is 10 units. We arenít sure if we will do another run.
Paul and I both wanted something that was better than what we have seen in the market.

That is why this bumper is being made.
These units will be priced below the competition.

If you have the slightest interest drop Paul or I a PM or email.

My cell phone is at Rattle Snake Gutter so that number will not work for a bit. Unless a moose picks up...
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:32 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Do you have a ballpark price in mind?

97 D90 SW
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:23 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

All, it looks like the all in product with the gerry can brackets and high lift studs in primer will be in the $1,200 ball park plus shipping.

It will be cheaper for the tire carrier high lift option or just the bumper.

We are working with different option for the pivot point and hasp assembly which could dictate price up or down depending on which way we go.

The second unit is being built now with a differnt pivot assembly that is why it is taking some time.

If you have any questions IM or email...
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:33 PM
steve mez
Steve Mez
1995 NAS D90

hey ron can this rear bumper work on my 95 D90 NAS ST with the tire carrier on it....
repley or pm

thanks
steve
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:38 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I'd be in at that price

97 D90 SW
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:30 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Will you require a deposit or prepayment? Any idea on a timeline, think it would work with a mantec tire carrier? looks like it would?
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:27 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Steve and Phillip, I think there will need to be some mods if you use your stock carrier as this unit uses the bottom crossmember holes. It may be doable . Ill have to look when paul gets back from shooting.

Not taking money right now. Hopefully have the first complete one done in a couple of weeks.

We may move this thread to the For Sale shortly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
90, bumper, d90