New mods to the 1994 NAS Defender 90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old September 13th, 2014, 09:57 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
New mods to the 1994 NAS Defender 90

Added a new Snorkel kit and 1994 correct amber front driving lights (previous were clear). Also completely replaced all old and rusted hinges and bolts with factory OEM hinges and stainless bolts. What do you think? Next is stainless factory styled exhaust and OEM shocks and springs.

CORRECTED SNORKEL! Thanks everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0744.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	102839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0715.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	102840  

Name:	IMAG0712.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	102841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0714.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	102842  

Name:	IMAG0733.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	102843   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0732.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	102844  

Name:	IMAG0729.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	102845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0746.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	102854  

Name:	IMAG0747.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	102855  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2014, 10:17 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Looks great. Isn't your snorkel main pipe upside down though?
Old September 13th, 2014, 10:17 PM
jruti
Jon Ruti
'94 D-90, #20

Registry
Looks very nice! Tasteful mods, love it. I have the new hinges as well sitting in my garage all painted and ready to go, just haven't found the time to get them on. Let me know if you ran into any issues during the hinge install or if you have any tips on installing them. About how long did it take for the hinge install? Thanks, truck looks awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2014, 10:20 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankar View Post
Looks great. Isn't your snorkel main pipe upside down though?
I hope not? I don't think so. Didn't come with any directions but it did match the photos that were on the site I purchased the kit from.
Old September 13th, 2014, 10:27 PM
jruti
Jon Ruti
'94 D-90, #20

Registry
Believe Rankar is correct. The bend in the tube allows the breather to sit more parallel to the ground. This will also take a little of the slack out of the flexible tubing that is bunching up a tad. Here's a pic for reference...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02933.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	102846  
Old September 13th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmatos1001 View Post
I hope not? I don't think so.
It is upside down.
The snorkel top should be straight up, not tilted back.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old September 13th, 2014, 10:30 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruti View Post
Looks very nice! Tasteful mods, love it. I have the new hinges as well sitting in my garage all painted and ready to go, just haven't found the time to get them on. Let me know if you ran into any issues during the hinge install or if you have any tips on installing them. About how long did it take for the hinge install? Thanks, truck looks awesome.
Took about 4 hours total. Maybe a bit more. Tips on the hinges. Hit them with some rust remover repeatedly before you start to work them off. Also obviously take out door card inserts to get at back of the bolds that mount to the doors. Also I used an impact driver (kind you hit with a hammer) to get the screws started. But be very careful to not hit too hard with the impact driver/hammer to dent the doors.

I was able to get all bolts and hinges off for the doors successfully without any issues. Also when installing the new ones be sure to take one old one off and put a new one back on. Do not take both off so the door has no hinges at all. Also, when putting one hinge on at a time make sure the door is closed and locked tight. That way the door will align perfectly when you are done with the door hinge install. Mine aligned perfectly, the doors shut way tighter than before. For the door hinges and rear hinges best to have two people. This is not really a one man job.

For the rear two hinges I ran into two bolts I could not get off at all. Had to drill them out. That took about an hour more. If you are doing the rear hatch be sure to get access to the rear of all the bolts from the interior. But there is one set that bolts to the car you can only access from behind the rear bumper underneath. Best to have an open wrench (not a socket) to secure the bolts as there isn't much room back there.

Good luck and it is well worth the work. I can't believe how great they look and doors slam shut like a vault now. Also no more wind noise around the door frame since they sit tighter now.
Old September 13th, 2014, 10:33 PM
jruti
Jon Ruti
'94 D-90, #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmatos1001 View Post
Took about 4 hours total. Maybe a bit more. Tips on the hinges. Hit them with some rust remover repeatedly before you start to work them off. Also obviously take out door card inserts to get at back of the bolds that mount to the doors. Also I used an impact driver (kind you hit with a hammer) to get the screws started. But be very careful to not hit too hard with the impact driver/hammer to dent the doors.

I was able to get all bolts and hinges off for the doors successfully without any issues. Also when installing the new ones be sure to take one old one off and put a new one back on. Do not take both off so the door has no hinges at all. Also, when putting one hinge on at a time make sure the door is closed and locked tight. That way the door will align perfectly when you are done with the door hinge install. Mine aligned perfectly, the doors shut way tighter than before. For the door hinges and rear hinges best to have two people. This is not really a one man job.

For the rear two hinges I ran into two bolts I could not get off at all. Had to drill them out. That took about an hour more. If you are doing the rear hatch be sure to get access to the rear of all the bolts from the interior. But there is one set that bolts to the car you can only access from behind the rear bumper underneath. Best to have an open wrench (not a socket) to secure the bolts as there isn't much room back there.

Good luck and it is well worth the work. I can't believe how great they look and doors slam shut like a vault now. Also no more wind noise around the door frame since they sit tighter now.

Awesome! I'm even more excited to get them installed now that I hear your doors shut tighter than before.
Old September 13th, 2014, 10:34 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
It is upside down.
The snorkel top should be straight up, not tilted back.

Thank you both. I do appreciate it. I will need to correct that although I can't lie I am dreading it a bit. Was not that easy to get it on!
Old September 13th, 2014, 11:43 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruti View Post
Awesome! I'm even more excited to get them installed now that I hear your doors shut tighter than before.
Good luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
mod, defender, defender 90, nas, 90, 1994