My importing a 1983 Land Rover 110 story in real time - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old May 16th, 2010, 02:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My importing a 1983 Land Rover 110 story in real time

So, on Wednesday May 12, 2010 I was doing my standard ebay.co.uk search for a Fairey or Superwinch PTO driven winch (PTO winch in title and description) and I came up with this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

These winches sell for between 300UKP and 650UKP on ebay.co.uk and to ship one direct (without going through a container) would be another $1000 US so I thought, why not buy the whole truck for 500UKP and import it!

I was traveling Wednesday and Thursday (and my cell does not have international) so Friday morning, May 14, 2010, I rang the seller (UK is 5 hours ahead of the east coast) and checked with him on the reserve and whether he would let me buy it. Guy sounded nice enough and knew land rovers and was a bit perplexed as to why I would purchase a 500UKP (his asking price) truck from 1000s of miles and an ocean away, but said if I was the high bidder it was mine and that he had it advertised in LROI as well. No red flags other than his status as a new member on ebay, but for 500UKP, if it is a scam, it is a rather poorly (or extremely well) done one and I was willing to risk the $722.

I emailed Doug at http://www.dividingcreekroverimports.com/ to get my total shipping costs and his fees so I knew what I was getting into.

When I got home at night, I placed a 500UKP bid and RESERVE NOT MET! Oh no, so I bid 510UKP and RESERVE MET at 500.10UKP! I went to sleep and set my alarm for 6am to snipe any additional bidders. Thanks to the better part of a handle of beam and staying up until 4:30am reading my First Overland book, I overslept. I woke up, thinking I must have lost, but I WON! I sent a message to the seller asking how he wanted payment (he asked for paypal, much easier for me than cash on collection, but it used up all but about $80 of my paypal allocation -- paypal limits you to $10k without a bank account and I was hoarding it for just such an occasion). Tried to pay him, but ebay.co.uk wanted me to pay another 500UKP for shipping. So I sent another message. Today, Sunday May 16, 2010, the problem was fixed and I sent the money. I talked to Doug just now and he is booking all the things needed and was nice enough to agree to trailer it up to me when it gets here. He really knows his stuff.

Yes, I have seen no pictures of the beast. Yes, it has been sitting for 6 years and does not run. I am not expecting much (other than the winch and a 110 PU tub and full length roof). I will update as the truck gets closer to arrival.

Ron
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Sounds like a great way to get the winch you wanted and for probably close to the same money a whole 110.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:13 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
At the very least it will be fun. Janey's original shipping bill wasn't a savings, but people still talk about it, so it was worth it. You need to get someone to get some pix ASAP...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2010, 03:25 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Congrats Ron! I know you have been looking for awhile for that winch setup. Can't wait to see pictures. I am beginning to think it's easier to find parts overseas and just shipping it over. It's too frustrating looking for parts in the US.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
At the very least it will be fun. Janey's original shipping bill wasn't a savings, but people still talk about it, so it was worth it. You need to get someone to get some pix ASAP...
I will see if Doug or I can get farmer Andy in the UK to get me some pics. His brother in law has a camera.

I think the process will be interesting, and hopefully with Doug's help, not TOO interesting. I figure the bed, roof/sides and winch would have cost me 75% shipped to my door of what the whole truck will cost. I plan to use this one's hood, fenders, bed, roof etc. on the white truck currently being rebuilt's NAS 110 frame and V8 drivetrain. Look for some parts for sale CHEAP when she arrives.

Ron
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:56 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I bet you could title it and sell the title, rolling chassis and bulkhead and get your shipping cost back.
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:58 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I read about it on the other thread and I am very curious as to how this thing looks when it comes over. Glad you started a thread dedicated to it. Words and actions that entail a "handle of Beam" will certainly add to the entertaining factor :D

My guess as you are not expecting much and that you have those Ninja skills with parts is that it might not be half bad. Don't want to jinx anything tho. Definitely keep us updated.
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:47 PM
leaterwood
Cleveland T. Leatherwood
95 D90

Thanks for starting this thread... this is now my new favorite tv show. Buying a 110 on ebay.uk sight unseen is awsome, I'm dying to find out more...
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:15 AM
evilfij
evilfij

I am sure when Doug comes to drop it off the bar tab for the two of us at the Roach and O'Brien (my local watering hole) will add considerably to the total cost.

If I get pics I will post them, or when it arrives I will for sure. I am expecting a pile of crap with a winch. Anything better is gravy. I think I am going to keep the identity/base to use on one of my other projects, but a lot of the parts wills be for sale. The guy says it has a solid bulkhead and frame so we will see.
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ron,
I heard back from my Uk transporter. My guestimate was within 29gbp. We are good to go there-just need to iron things out with Andy the farmer.

------ Follow up post added May 17th, 2010 09:20 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I am sure when Doug comes to drop it off the bar tab for the two of us at the Roach and O'Brien (my local watering hole) will add considerably to the total cost.
Always a pleasure to visit Ron !

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 17th, 2010, 12:47 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

This story will really pick up once those pictures start to trickle in! I'm shopping for all sorts of bits and pieces also: Such as seats and a lockable console. I have a feeling you'll do more than recover your costs, and still have a nice winch at the end of it all.
Old May 17th, 2010, 01:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij

After a slight delay in getting the money I paypaled into Andy the farmer's account, he just emailed me a copy of the V5 and Doug is working his magic with the shippers and getting it picked up.

I have to say, I would have NO CLUE how to make this all happen without Doug.

I think pics might have to wait until it hits the US shores.

------ Follow up post added May 17th, 2010 02:24 PM ------

Andy sent the wrong part of the V5. Doug is handling. I am being a pest to all concerned.
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:05 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Would be funny if it looked just like Janey.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:16 PM
evilfij
evilfij

It is blue with a white top and it is a 110 regular, not a 110 SW.
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Worst case scenario my transport driver will take a few pictures for us.....

like before he pulls it out of the thicket thats grown up through the floors over the past 6 years....just kidding

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 17th, 2010, 08:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij

It would not be the first time I bought a truck like that. My first series truck was a storage unit full of parts and the 80in I bought had a tree growing through it (ok that one I will get to when I retire).

PS did you get all you needed from Andy the farmer yet?
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:55 AM
evilfij
evilfij

I have pictures!

Ron

PS just a tease as I cannot post them from work so they come out tonight.
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:49 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
no fair!
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:50 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
just a tease
You bastard!!
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:54 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

so this isn't going roro, more prospros. thats push roll on stop, push roll off stop. or I guess literally roll on roll off, not drive on driver off

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
110, import