My First Landy: '85 110 SW - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old February 28th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
My First Landy: '85 110 SW

Hello Gentlemen,

My name is Jon, and I have proudly become the owner of a 1985 Land Rover 110 SW, 3.5L V8 with LT95 gearbox. Being stationed in Germany, I was highly motivated to find a 25 yr old Landy to take back to the US. Upon my arrival here in the summer of '09, I began my search.

I found a lot of sad looking Landys along the way. By December '10, I had located a good looking Alpine White 110 near Eindhoven and a "very" original '85 Camel Trophy 110 near Nijmegen. I packed up my family on a 4-day weekend and drove up to the Netherlands to take a look.

Having proudly served in the 82nd Airborne Division, I used the opportunity to visit Arnhem and tour the former HQ of the Parachute Regiment during the ill-fated Operation Market Garden. We then set off to Classic Defenders, near Nijmegen, to check out the Camel Trophy 110. It was one of the German team's vehicles and had low mileage, albeit Camel Trophy miles. Needless to say, it was in need of some serious attention and with my limited skills and knoweledge, I was not up to the task. Haks, the owner of Classic Defenders, kindly gave me a quick rundown of what to look for (and avoid!) in a used Landy. We set off for Eindhoven to check out the Alpine White 110.

After all I had seen up to this point, I was quite surprised to see an '85 110 in such good condition. It had began its life as an export to Switzerland and later ended up in German and Dutch hands. It has the 3.5L V8 with an Edelbrock intake manifold and 4-bbl carb kit from RPI installed by the previous owner. The gearbox is an LT95 4-speed also used on 101FC gun carriage trucks. The previous owner had also installed a Britpart (shitpart, so I've been told) 2" heavy duty lift. The frame appears to be in great condition for a 25+ year Land Rover. After some bartering, I happily agreed to purchase this Landy. It was too late in the day to transfer ownership of the vehicle, so we drove back to Germany and I returned to NL the following weekend to pick it up. The previous owner from Germany still has a website up with photos of the 110 when it was in his hands: http://www.oneten.eu/OneTen.html

After purchasing the 110 and obtaining the "export plates", which consisted of characters inscribed on a plastic card by hand with a fat permanent marker, I was off on my first moderate distance drive back to Germany. One of my friends pulled wingman duty in his BMW in the event the Landy broke down. Aside from chugging down unleaded at a sickening rate with the V8 and the high-revving LT95, I had a great time on my cherry-blast with the 110. I triumphantly pulled into our neighborhood, with my wife and 2-year old son cheering on the sidewalk. As a side note, my son is just like dad and completely obsessed with Defenders.

I am totally in love with this thing, and my wife actually digs it too! Also, last week I found out that JimC was recently assigned here as well, and works a few doors down the hall from me. I had a chance to ride in his awesome Puma Defender and he stopped by to check out my old 110. I'm glad to be working with a seasoned Defender owner, and look forward to picking Jim's brain as I work on improving my 110.

Since purchasing the 110, I have done some small jobs such as removing and repainting the wheel arches flat-black, and swapping the disintegrated shift knob with a new original one from Pegasus Parts in the UK. I also removed the tint from the rear windows, and ripped the tattered insulation off the bonnet. With my birthday around the corner, I am looking forward to taking on some more projects, like installing seat re-trim kits and some later model interior trim.

Over the horizon, I'd like to upgrade to a disc-brake rear axle among other things. I'd love to drop in a 4.6, but we'll see. My wife has kindly given me the green light to get another Landy to bring back to the US, so I am on the lookout for a 25-year old 90 with a 200/300 TDI.

Here are some photos of the 110 after I brought it back to Germany. I'll take some more recent pics :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110 001.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	36231   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 002.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	36232  

Name:	110 003.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	36233   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 004.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	36234  

Name:	110 005.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	36235   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 006.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	36236  

Name:	110 007.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	36237   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 008.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	36238  

Name:	110 009.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	36239   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 010.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	36240  

Name:	110 011.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	36241   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 012.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	36242  

Name:	110 013.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	36243   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 014.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	36244  

Name:	110 015.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	36245   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 016.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	36246  

Name:	110 Matt.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	36247  

- Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the CT 110 from classic defenders has been bought by a member of this board and is currently somewhere in Belgium. I think eventual plans have it coming here.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 28th, 2011, 05:41 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Cant do any better then Jim just a few doors down for advice. If he didnt tell you already, there is a build thread of his truck on here. Welcome aboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Here are a few updated pics since I removed the rear side window tint, painted the wheel arches, and put in a new LT95 shift knob. My wife is completing her MBA while teaching online for a community college back in NC and pulling full-time Mom duty for our 2 1/2 year old son. This means I am often on Daddy-duty and have little time to work on the Landy, or at most a half-hour here, an hour there... I do what I can and without a garage. I'll have a month of geographical bachelor-hood this summer and I plan on using it to full advantage to work on the 110.

As I am a newbie to the Defender community, I'm open to suggestions on future projects.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110 017.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	36338   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 018.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	36339  

Name:	110 019.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	36340  

- Jon
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Thumbs up hooah

Nice 110, Airborne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Here are a few updated pics since I removed the rear side window tint, painted the wheel arches, and put in a new LT95 shift knob. My wife is completing her MBA while teaching online for a community college back in NC and pulling full-time Mom duty for our 2 1/2 year old son. This means I am often on Daddy-duty and have little time to work on the Landy, or at most a half-hour here, an hour there... I do what I can and without a garage. I'll have a month of geographical bachelor-hood this summer and I plan on using it to full advantage to work on the 110.

As I am a newbie to the Defender community, I'm open to suggestions on future projects.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Congratulations ... I'm not generally a 110 fan ... but yours looks just right!

Changing bolts for Stainless is a good place to start ... not difficult and gets you round the truck, headlamp upgrade to hella E-codes will be a good improvement if you are running old lamps - also pretty simple DIY.

JimC is a gentleman and tremendous source of defender knowledge ...
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Cool find! Welcome aboard!

Cheers...
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:21 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Jon, welcome to the forums. It's great to see you are making the most of your assignment!

I'd say do any and all rust prevention you can, even though that looks in good shape.

Then anything that is big/heavy so you don't have to pay shipping for it here in the US (like say an exo cage if you want one). But given it's condition I'd say focus on getting another one that you can bring back and sell!
Old March 11th, 2011, 03:03 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I just found this thread - and all I can say is, wow - what a great truck. I looked it over as well as you can in the rain with a surefire, but every place that you look for a problem was either fine, or had been adequately fixed up. This is the perfect driver Rover, and its really quite original to boot. The lift-up handle doors are in great shape with only minimal rust, but no bubbling or rust holes to speak of. The chassis and crossmember are fabulous. I've definitely never seen a truck this age which is as nice as this one.

On the other hand, its so nice that it makes you want to just break out your tools and start modifying stuff, since nothing really needs fixing...

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Updates - "New" 2nd Row

I moved back to the US last July to attend Warrant Officer Candidate School and helicopter flight school. I've had a little time to work on the 110, so I've started sprucing up the interior. I ripped out the old single piece 2nd row bench and fitted a 60/40 retrimmed in Exmoor G4. I was able to buy all the major parts secondhand from Europe. I bought a used 60/40 bench in techno cloth from Nakatanenga 4x4 in Germany. I bought the seat back locking towers from a Brit expat in Spain. This saved me a ton.

Pics of old 2nd row are above. Pics of "new" second row:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0776.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	48115   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0777.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	48116  

- Jon
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:14 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Updates - "New" Front Seats

I'm also working on retrimming the front seats in Exmoor G4. While the seat bottom cushions and retrim have fit just fine, I've run into a problem retrimming the seat backs. Apparently the old seats (the ones that bolt to the seatbox with 8 screws) have a slightly different framework shape than newer seats. As such, the new retrim foam will not fit properly to the frame.

I could try and bore out the foam a bit to make the framework fit, or I can cut and adjust the framework to fit the foam. I'm leaning more towards adjusting the framework, as I really don't want to risk messing the foam up. The tubular "oblique" framework on the seat back sticks out a bit more than newer seats.

Also, the retrim headrest covers are extremely tight, to a fault. The stitching is stretched so much in a few spots that you can see the foam underneath. I might remove them and have those seams reinforced as I really don't want them busting.

Pics of "new" front seats in progress:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0781.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	48119   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0782.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	48120  

Name:	DSC_0783.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	48121   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0784.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	48122  

Name:	DSC_0786.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	48123  

- Jon
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
I didn't like the original 4-spoke steering wheel, and I really wanted to fit one of the 36 spline wheels with the impact pad, but I did not want to pay the absurd prices to get one new. Luckily, while in Germany I was able to obtain one secondhand in excellent condition for only 20 euro.

I also did not like the plain Land Rover badge sticker on the back of the truck, so I fitted a reproduction cast aluminum Land Rover badge from Falon Nameplates. I'm not really interested in calling it a Defender, as I'd like to keep some elements of the truck retro, such as the ribbed roof. I decided to go with the "four wheel drive station wagon" badge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0780.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	48124   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0779.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	48125  

- Jon
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:55 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Im enroute to Kaiserslautern this fall....and I will be looking for another Defender myself (hopefully a 130).

Its funny...I hated the newer steering wheel in my 97 NAS 90 and went to the four spoke. But- glad you like your new wheel.

Nice truck-
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
I finished retrimming the front seats. A friend of mine and I had to cut the tubular supports, heat them up, and bend and weld them to the proper position for the new foams to fit. I sandblasted the seat frames and refinished them prior to fitting the retrim kit. I now have much more comfortable and good looking seats.

I recently celebrated my 31st birthday and my wife gave me a set of Mammouth 3mm 5-bar black wingtop protectors and the gaskets made for them. My wingtops had some dents from years of standing on them, so the protectors spruced them up a bit and definitely made them more useful as steps for reaching the roof.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110 001.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	50298   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 002.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	50299  

Name:	retrim01.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	50300   Click image for larger version

Name:	retrim03.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	50301  

Name:	retrim04.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	50302  

- Jon
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:52 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

It's looking good. What's that data plate in the third pic? I've not seem that before.
Old April 15th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
It's looking good. What's that data plate in the third pic? I've not seem that before.

Thanks. It's getting there, bit by bit. The data plate is for trailer weight, I believe. There is a weird gauge in the center dash fascia with a little trailer icon on it, and a weird secondary brake cylinder underneath the tub near the 2nd row floor that looks like it was for trailer brakes. I wish I knew more about the truck and what it was used for in Switzerland. Military or government? I'm not quite sure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	50309  

- Jon
Old July 20th, 2012, 05:12 PM
k_kowboy
Jon
None

I was looking at the pictures from the prior owner's website and then your first pictures with springs in the backseat... did the prior owner lower the truck? If so, do you know how much it was lowered by originally?
Old July 20th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_kowboy View Post
I was looking at the pictures from the prior owner's website and then your first pictures with springs in the backseat... did the prior owner lower the truck? If so, do you know how much it was lowered by originally?

The truck wasn't lowered. The German that owned the 110 had stock coils on the suspension. The Dutchman that I bought it from installed a heavy duty approximate 2" lift and cranked radius arms.

- Jon
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:47 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Hey nice truck! All the way!

Old February 16th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
I haven't posted an update in a while, but I've done a few things over the past several months, time permitting.

- Clear TD5 side-repeater flashers
A member here and a guy over at LR4x4 gave me a template to cut the correct hole in the fender wing panels. PaulMc supplied the correct MQS female connectors for the lights. These look a lot better than the old amber repeaters and the clear looks good on a white truck.

Name:	TD5 repeater.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	66329

- Hella E-Code H4 headlamps
The old headlamps were rusting on the inside and had to go. Got a set of Hella E-codes from amazon and they were very easy to install. Still have a stock headlight harness and I would like to upgrade to better wiring with a relay. Still, the light and pattern is better than the old Lucas lamps.

- Replaced side light, turn signal, tail light, and fog/reverse lamps
Bought the euro type genuine lamp kit from RN to replace my dry rotted and corroded old lamps. Land Rover apparently changed the size of the bullet connectors at some point, as the newer lamp male bullet connectors were to small for the female portion on the wiring loom. I ended up using adhesive lined shrink tube butt-splice connectors to splice the new lamps into the old wiring aft of the connectors. I also replaced the old rectangular reverse lamp and fog lamp with the newer round lamps, and used a clear reflector on the fog lamp to use as an additional reverse lamp.

Name:	lights 01.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	66340Click image for larger version

Name:	lights 02.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	66331

- LED bulbs in gauges, clock, and dash warning panel
I replaced the incandescent bulbs with LEDs in the gauge cluster and clock. What was once nearly impossible to see is now well illuminated. Also installed LED bulbs in the dash warning panel, with the exception of the turn indicator, which needs a non-polarized LED to be able to blink for both right and left flashers. Bulbs were from superbrightleds.com

Name:	gauges.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	66333

- Replaced lamp bulbs with LEDs
LEDs from superbrightleds.com, with the exception of the tail-light lamps. I used the 18 SMD LED tower bulbs and while they are plenty bright for the side lights and turn signals, they weren't quite bright enough for the tail lights. I'll have to upgrade to the 45 SMD LED towers for the tail lights. I also had to put incandescent bulbs back into the side repeaters, as I was having issues with all of the turn signals flashing when only activating the left or right. I had this problem even with the flasher relay from superbrightleds. The problem went away as soon as I took the LEDs out of the side repeaters and put the incandescent bulbs back in. I'll have to upgrade to the CAN bus LED bulbs, with built in resistors, for the side repeaters.

Name:	lights 03.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	66332

- Replaced power steering box, reservoir, overhauled PS lines, new tie rod ends, new steering damper
My PS box was leaking like crazy and the steering was very loose. I could turn the wheel 1-hour in either direction before the wheels would turn. Replaced the old box with a rebuilt box from Meridian. Overhauled the lines with hose from Napa. New QH tie-rod ends with zerk fittings. Also installed an OME steering damper. Took the truck to the auto skills shop on Fort Rucker and got everything done in about 6 hours. Instead of buying a new drop arm, I rebuilt the ball joint with a kit. I am still amazed at how much better the steering is, and how much more I can enjoy driving the truck. I saw some old comments from Dan regarding the supposed quality of the QH TREs, but they looked like solid parts to me, and I like that they are serviceable. Time will tell.

Name:	PS 01.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	66335Click image for larger version

Name:	PS 02.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	66336Click image for larger version

Name:	PS 03.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	66337

- Replaced old Cooper Discoverer 235-85-R16 tires with BF Goodrich 255-85-R16 Mud Terrains
Found a smoking deal on a set of 5 almost-new BFG tires mounted on Freestyle alloy rims. Kept the tires and sold the alloys. Tires are great on the trail. As expected they are noisy on road. 255-85-R16 is pretty tall!

Name:	new tires.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	66334

- Installed Bonnet Spare Tire Carrier
My wife has always said she likes the look of a Defender with a spare on the bonnet. This mod was mostly aesthetics driven, as I keep the spare on the rear door. Some day I can get another spare for the bonnet. I get plenty of extra stares and questions about the bonnet mount. Genuine mount kit from PA Blanchard, for far less than elsewhere. I predrilled mounting holes in the bonnet and frame and then disassembled the bonnet to refinish the rusty frame. Had the frame sandblasted and refinished in two coats of black powercoat. The underside of the bonnet was LineX'd. Now, the underside of the bonnet is the nicest looking part of my truck!

Name:	bonnet spare.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	66339Click image for larger version

Name:	bonnet under.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	66338

- Jon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags