Murph's D90? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:13 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Murph's D90?

I guess I'm not sure if this should be posted in the "smaller projects" or complete build-ups, but here goes.

Prompted by J-Tisdaleís curiosity about his old ride earler today, I thought Iíd post some info as to what Iíve been up to with it over the last eleven months or so.

It started out as a Portofino Red high-mileage but good condition, leak-free (really) í97 SW, that Johnathan gave me a great deal on last December. It had some corrosion and needed some TLC (along with new doors), but Iíd just returned from deployment to the Arabian Gulf and Indian Ocean, and wanted another Rover without breaking the bank (initially). (Many Somali pirate leaders and warlords drive D90s and D110s, by the way. Iíve seen it myself. And they look cool on FLIR.)

My previous Landy experience was a hybrid Range Rover/Series II/Series III/D90 hybrid thing that Iíd picked up several years earlier from an ex-Army guy in horrible shape and made into something less horrible. (LR D100? Range-Ender?) With those lessons learned, along with this website, selective Ebay shopping, decent manuals and friends in James and Jake at British 4x4 in Jacksonville, FL, however, I figured Iíd dig into another money pit with fewer pitfalls. It does, however, now completely kick ass, and Iím not done! (But Defenders are never really done.) Itís awesome off road, even though James & Jake donít believe that I take it off road.

Since buying it, Iíve completed the following non-all-inclusive, not in order of completion list. (Iím sure I forgetting a few things, as all of you probably understand.) Each item seemed to either open up a can of worms requiring other ďadjustmentsĒ or helped me rationalize even more cash drain, but who cares. For the stuff beyond my grasp or tool ownership I enlisted the help of James and Jake, whom I recommend most highly if you need help in the Southeast. Theyíre good at what they do and great to deal with, plus theyíre funny as hell and also prone to random weird projects like I am.

- Tired stock springs and shocks were first replaced with RTE springs and OME shocks. I later discovered, however, that the OMEs would top out on rebound under my truck when getting into it, so I replaced them with long-travel Fox 2.0s similar (but cheaper) than those I saw on J-Tisís white rock monster. This, of course, required heim joint/eye-mount shock mounts, so I slapped those on from RTE later, too.

- Lifting it caused the resultant driveline geometry to groan and rumble like an old donkey under decel, so I also over time ended up with (in final version) front and rear double cardin driveshafts and GBR-recommended and built TruTrac front and rear diffs with 1:4.75 gearing for theÖ

- 35Ē MTRs and 15x10Ē steelies. (Iím currently just using my re-powdercoated stock 16Ē wheels with 33Ē ATs for around town, and while not ideally geared now with the smaller tires, it does haul ass.

- It also now has RTE trailing arms and Scorpion radius arms, and drives like a big car.

- With the help of this site and Johnathan I was able to track down the original AC kit from my truck that had been violently ripped out by one of the previous owners and sold to a site user unable to use it in its beat and incomplete state. All plumbing but one hose had to be replaced or replicated, but with a little cheapskate ingenuity, I was able to fab, repair or replace all parts without paying ridiculous LR part prices! The frozen compressor and stripped condenser were replaced with a good reman compressor and a hot-rod, high efficiency condenser. Once installed and James tested and recharged it, it worked immediately and continues to work like a champ. At one point this summer, I realized that it was blowing cooler air faster than my 2008 Z06! No joke!

- To add insult to injury, the gaping holes once cut in the seat box for 6x9Ēs have been supplemented with eight Polk speakers of various sizes, mounted in the aforementioned seatbox, doors, and upper and lower rear cabin, using speaker panels I found from Euro D90 models on Ebay. The stereo and changer sound great when Iím sitting still, but once moving, I can really only hear if set at helicopter volumes, obviously.

- All three doors were replaced to rid the truck of the dreaded Landy rot when it went in for a refinish. I took it to Mark OíSteen of OíSteens Autobody in Jacksonville, who is a master. He and his guys rid the truck of all body corrosion and spend weeks prepping for a beautiful refinish in between other work. Markís shop does all the repairs for the areaís luxury car dealers, but among other customers are the Brumos Porsche race shop and Ted Turner. A few months before I brought my truck to him, they restored Ted Turnerís D110. Mark is best known for super cool VW bug and bus restorations, and is currently doing an awesome Ď70s Bronco for himself. I was willing and able to do most of the disassembly/reassemble and prep myself, which saved me a bunch of dough.

- While the disassembled truck was at Markís shop, I had the roll cage, rear crossmember, RockWare winch bumper and wheels powdercoated. I also had the cage door bars repaired of the weird sawzall damage and strange clamp contraptions that the A/C ripper-outer owner had earlier done, I think as part of an aborted soft top conversion, were I to guess.

- As the Safety Devices roof racks had reached the ludicrous price and availability range, I installed one of those similar made by Derek Chase at Urban Offroad in CA. The quality is as good as or better than any others Iíve seen, Safety Devices ones included, and Iíd also recommend his work and products very highly.

- Mostly just because I was sick of leaning over to open the windows, I installed electric window-openers while I was installing new VDO gages and an Iron Goat dash panel. The gages were all either doing the digital numeral dance or were so out-of-calibration that it made sense to replace them. It's funny to pull up to another D90 and have my windows roll down automatically.

- As far as other random stuff I can remember doing, Iíve installed some Hellas and a Superwinch, along with a CB and I recovered the torn up seats.

After all of this, let me remind folks that the truck has about 160,000 miles on it, is leak-free and is daily-driver ultra-reliable. I replaced my Z06 with a Subaru STI once I saw how crappy the Norfolk-area roads and weather were, but I can swap daily use of the brand new '08 STI with the í97 D90 without giving it a second thought or concern of getting stranded. Additionally, when I take my nephews and niece for a ride they have a gas, and itís even fun for my co-workers when I drive for lunch. (There are no limits to the funny crap that comes up when you put four Navy helicopter pilots in a D90 with jump-seats.) I expect that the stock high-mileage 4.0L may be great for some time, but perhaps a 4.6 is in order? (Another thread that prompted this one.)

Iíll post some photos when I get around to it in the next few days. Sorry for the long write-up! Thanks to those of you who have unknowingly helped by with your posts and imparted knowledge.

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:56 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm just glad you replaced that driver's seat - it must have been tore up by one fat fatty...

Oh, one thing: I know you mentioned it, but this thread is worthless without pix!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 9th, 2008, 10:46 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I'm just glad you replaced that driver's seat - it must have been tore up by one fat fatty...

Oh, one thing: I know you mentioned it, but this thread is worthless without pix!
totally worthless without pics...sounds like you've really breathed some new life into that 90! PICS!

Cheney...you crack me up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2008, 08:19 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

A few photos as requested.

OK, Gents-

Sorry for the delay, but between work schedules and Norfolk's crappy weather, I finally had an opportunity this afternoon to take a few photos. Hopefully my post is now a little less worthless.

Murph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2HPIM0449.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	16964   Click image for larger version

Name:	2HPIM0450.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	16965  

Name:	2HPIM0451.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	16966   Click image for larger version

Name:	2HPIM0452.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	16967  

Name:	2HPIM0453.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	16968   Click image for larger version

Name:	2HPIM0455.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	16969  

Name:	2HPIM0457.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	16970   Click image for larger version

Name:	2HPIM0463.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	16971  

Name:	2HPIM0464.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	16972  
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
'8X FankenRover D100
Old December 20th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Mighty
mighty
epsom 110 & stornoway 90

great looking truck. I knew that truck very well and boy did she need the love...
Kudos on the amazing work and 'killer' ride!!!
Old December 20th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Chris,

Great looking truck. We will need to see some pics with the steelies, of course!!

Where did you get the little surround that covers the CB? I have the same setup but there is a little space between the CB and the console still.
Old December 20th, 2008, 03:27 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Nice. What color are the rims?
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:16 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Thanks for the comments, guys.

The CB is a "single-din"-sized one, and I just slightly trimmed a spare Alpine head unit trim ring I had to fit it.

As for the wheels, I had the powdercoater that did my cage, etc. coat them sort of a gunmetal gray color, similar to some I saw in a Rover magazine on a guy's ride from the UK. They do look cool, but if I stumble across a set of the Boost wheels, those were what I was initially looking for, too. (Plus, I also have the steelies and 35"s, too, and sometimes I swap them back and forth when bored or miss the wide tire/redneck stance.)

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
'8X FankenRover D100
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:36 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Murph-

The truck looks great man, glad to see the progress and I like the way you have it built. I seem to remember seeing the land rover lettering on the hood somewhere else too...

Tis
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I like the gun metal gray rims. Maybe I will do the rims on the white SW that color. that should look Bad Ass.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

love the truck and that white sti in the background!
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloBubba
(Many Somali pirate leaders and warlords drive D90s and D110s, by the way. Iíve seen it myself. And they look cool on FLIR.)
Hope you aren't the guy in charge of firing the shots. I would have hard time taking out a nice 90 or 110.

B
Old July 6th, 2009, 02:55 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Oh yeah.

I just looked at my old thread, and realized that I never posted the 35/steelie photos for those that care.

Here they are, in all their sticking-out redneck glory.

Murph
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM0575w.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	672.7 KB
ID:	20417   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0576w.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	829.8 KB
ID:	20418  

Name:	HPIM0574w.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	701.6 KB
ID:	20420  
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
'8X FankenRover D100
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
nice rack.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
90, d90