Minimalist Trail Bumper and Steering Guard - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:06 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Action shot (courtesy of Doug's friend Colin):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1267a.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	54565  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:13 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wait...where did you go test out the new bumper? Is that The Cove?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:21 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Wait...where did you go test out the new bumper? Is that The Cove?
Yes, that is on a trail called Corum at the Cove
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:00 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Yes, that is on a trail called Corum at the Cove
And I think Jason would love it! It's a mini Rock Creek going slightly uphill
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Thumbs up

Nice photo, location and...bumper!
All looks so nice!

I wouldn't worry too much about the bolts, as long as they're at least the same grade of the stock ones.
As I said I had my bumper built out of S/S, and the 8274 (which came after the X9 shown below) is sitting right on top, so more leverage in my case, the recovery rings are placed exactly in line with the chassis rails.
I pulled the Cube at some crazy angles, and it never flinched, and I'm still using the 4 stock bolts...I had planned to add a reinforcement bracket each side with an extra bolt, a la "Equipe", but in the end it was never needed.

The "minimalist" style bumper is IMHO the best thing for a Defender,
unlikely the "hot dog" style which ruled for the last years...personally it doesn't match the lines of the vehicle, but each to his own...

BTW, this was mine being test fitted...many years ago...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	54598  
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:47 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Looks great, Michele!

I agree Stainless is the way to go. I would have loved to use weld-on recovery points, but I couldn't find any in stainless online. Now that I think about it, I really should have just made my own from 1" bar stock!! Stupid me...

I like what you did with the winch tray on your bumper...I may have to steal that idea if I ever go with a winch!

BTW - to anyone who is planning to make their own trail armor, I highly recommend the AR400 steel in 3/16" (or AR500 if you can find it). I got a bend in the brackets from rock impacts, but the guard itself didn't deform or experience surface abrasion at all. It really does stand apart from hot/cold roll.

The brinell hardness of quartzite (the hardest component of granite) is 178. Mild steel has a brinell hardness of 120 and AR400 has a minimum brinell hardness of 360. AR500 has a nominal brinell hardness of 500. So if you want something that won't turn to bubble gum on Appalachian Granite, my recommendation is to go alloy.
Old July 24th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Hey Ed,
thanks...

That cradle in the pic was the v1...when I got the 8274,
I thought and added plenty of gussets and a fold to the design of the new cradle...and plenty of inner "blades" below, hidden in the bumper, to avoid flexing.

It took a boulder as big as a washing machine to slighty bend the passenger, tapered wing...navigator's mistake, and I simply drove into it, and heard a loud bang, and the 300 stalled

In the end, the bumper is dimensionally the same of the stock one (also because of the nazis here when it comes to modifications and accessories, so I wanted it to look "stealth")...I maybe did steal a few mm in depth if I remember well, and had the eyes cutted out of S/S again,
they're pretty thick and shaped to slide over an eventual obstacle.

The only alternative design I could have thought of would've been the "raised" one as Matt at Rockware does...still, it sits high nicely, but still it sticks out a tad too far.

I'd love to go alu with the 109" I am working on, but I'm not sure I'll find any fabricator available, nor to be able to afford the cost...

BTW, I had my sliders made out of the same S/S...I love it
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
bumper