License Plate LED Lamp & Rear Fog Lamp Install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old December 1st, 2007, 12:59 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
License Plate LED Lamp & Rear Fog Lamp Install

My stock license plate lamp housing was cracked when I bought my truck - so that was one of the small things I replaced. After 6 years of ownership I was always careful not to over tighten the single screw that holds the lamp housing together so I would not crack the new one. Well, I found that I was taking it off at least once a year to clean the dust out of the housing. The lamp housing design is a carry over from the vintage series trucks and the single screw concept worked perfect because the housing was metal rather than plastic, and the lens was glass. But when they made the same unit with plastic material they can crack if over tightened - and they flat out disintegrate from UV exposure. So I wanted to convert license plate lamp to a water proof LED. The original intention was to mount it on the inside of the plastic lens - but the single mounting screw would have to pass right through the LED assembly so that idea was canned. I decided to mount it to the exterior of the lens. I used my original cracked lamp housing and lens and bonded them together with epoxy. I drilled two holes through the lens and used machine screws to hold the LED lamp to the lens. It works very well and I get a nice flood of light on my rear step bumper.

I live in a area that doesn't get much fog - but when my son moved to California's central valley - that is famous for their tulle fog I wanted to have some added measure of rearward lighting to help avoid being rear ended in the fog when I drive out to visit him. My Audi A6 has a very cool rear fog lamp that is very effective so I bought a rear fog lamp from British Pacific. I mounted it to the rear bumper at the bracket that I assume is for a trailer wiring harness plug. I made a simple bracket and ran the wiring to a switch on my dash console. The lamp is very bright and works nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	licencelamp1.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	11188   Click image for larger version

Name:	licencelamp2.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	11189  

Name:	licencelamp3.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	11190   Click image for larger version

Name:	foglamp1.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	11191  

Name:	foglamp2.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	11192   Click image for larger version

Name:	foglamp3.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	11193  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2007, 01:49 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Nice! Where did you get the LED light?
Old December 1st, 2007, 02:24 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
Nice! Where did you get the LED light?
Hi Andrew,

I got the LED from iboats.com here is the url to the product:

http://www.iboats.com/6_LED_Strip_Li...view_id.215487

I also use one of these same LEDs in place of the stock light over my mirror. I am using a reverse lamp (a rectangular lamp just like the fog lamp with a clear lens) for my main dome light in my truck. The toggles on my dash console control the various lamps and my raised air intake blower.

Len

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2007, 06:51 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
C'mon Len, lets see some illuminated shots...
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:59 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

The rear fog light is so cool. Where did you mount the switch? Is this a kit from British Pacific. I have never seen it on a Defender.........

Flagg
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:11 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
C'mon Len, lets see some illuminated shots...
I can take some pics in the dark tonight - with running lights on, and with brake lights on as well so you can see the effectiveness of the fog and license lamp.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
The rear fog light is so cool. Where did you mount the switch? Is this a kit from British Pacific. I have never seen it on a Defender.........

Flagg
The lamp did not come in a kit form - it was the lamp with a a 9" wiring pig tale (bullet connectors for power and ground) I fabricated the bracket from simple 1/16" x 1" bar I picked up at the hardware store. I used a big hammer and vice to bend it into shape. (it helps to heat the metal bar with a propane torch in the area where you intend to bend it). I tapped in to a power line on the truck and ran wiring up to my dash console to a toggle switch. I believe the rear fog light is stock on non NAS defenders. It was distributed by Britpart. You might check with George at RDS as well - he may have a kit. I could make the bracket for you but it would cost more to ship it than its worth.

Old December 1st, 2007, 08:48 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
the illumination

I have taken 3 images of the lights just after the sun went down - first is just running lights, second is running lights & fog light, third is running lights, fog and brakes. You can see that the fog lamp is as bright as a brake light just bigger.

Len
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	runninglights.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	11205   Click image for larger version

Name:	runninglights_fog.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	11206  

Name:	runninglights_fog_brakes.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	11207  

Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:13 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Did you tie it into the dash warning light?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Did you tie it into the dash warning light?
No, is there a lamp some where in the block of indicator lamps under the tack, fuel , speedo ? I did think of running a simple single red led that would serve as an indicator lamp whenthe fog lamp was on, but I haven't done it yet.

Old December 4th, 2007, 03:46 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

But a Euro style fog light is supposed to indicate the drivers side of the vehicle...

The rest is cool though.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:46 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
But a Euro style fog light is supposed to indicate the drivers side of the vehicle...

The rest is cool though.
Thanks for the info and compliments - I had a feeling that's where it should be located - since the rear fog lamp on our audi is on the drivers side. - I was just taking advantage of the nice little bracket on the bumper. I should probably fab up a small simple bracket and attach it to the base of my rear ladder mount off of the rear cross member.

Old December 4th, 2007, 05:29 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB
Thanks for the info and compliments - I had a feeling that's where it should be located - since the rear fog lamp on our audi is on the drivers side. - I was just taking advantage of the nice little bracket on the bumper. I should probably fab up a small simple bracket and attach it to the base of my rear ladder mount off of the rear cross member.
Didn't mean to nit-pick, but they do that so that you know where the outside of the vehicle is for passing and safety. Doesn't really matter, no one in the US knows what a Euro fog light is or where it should be located. When I use them during snow storms or fog in the D2 or the wife's S6 people keep telling us "Hey, Your brake light is stuck on." Duh.

Old December 4th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB
No, is there a lamp some where in the block of indicator lamps under the tack, fuel , speedo ? I did think of running a simple single red led that would serve as an indicator lamp whenthe fog lamp was on, but I haven't done it yet.
Yeah, it is the one that looks like a front fog light icon except that instead of the wavy lines angling down, they go straight out horizontally. I think some people here use it as an indicator for Driving Lights though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Didn't mean to nit-pick, but they do that so that you know where the outside of the vehicle is for passing and safety. Doesn't really matter, no one in the US knows what a Euro fog light is or where it should be located. When I use them during snow storms or fog in the D2 or the wife's S6 people keep telling us "Hey, Your brake light is stuck on." Duh.
Including Audi apparently since they mount them just a few inches to either side of the license plate! haha

Don't discos have one on each side, not just one on the driver side?
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I think US regs you are supposed ot have a matching pair.
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
Yeah, it is the one that looks like a front fog light icon except that instead of the wavy lines angling down, they go straight out horizontally. I think some people here use it as an indicator for Driving Lights though.

Including Audi apparently since they mount them just a few inches to either side of the license plate! haha

Don't discos have one on each side, not just one on the driver side?

Audis and D2s have them on the LH and RH side, but only 1 or the other works. If the car is LHD then the LH one works. If the car is RHD the RH one works.

There are no US regs for rear fog lamps. Only European cars have them. Its carry over stuff from the Euro regs. They just don't bother to delete them for the US market.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I think US regs you are supposed ot have a matching pair.

Wouldn't that just be brake lights at that point? I've never seen rear fog lights on in pairs, not in the US or in Europe.

Old December 4th, 2007, 09:33 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Could you go yellow for the fog light so it would not have the brake light effect or is yellow not seen well in fog?
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:55 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Wouldn't that just be brake lights at that point? I've never seen rear fog lights on in pairs, not in the US or in Europe.
Jaguar, I've followed plenty of them (always in crystal clear conditions mind you) with their rear pair of fog lights on... I must be cracking up as well, I would have sworn my old '96 Discovery had a pair of fog lamps as well, one in each taillight cluster...

Old December 5th, 2007, 10:10 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

OK, I sit corrected.

My D2 has provisions for L and R, but only the LH comes on, same with the wifes Audi and the BMWs I have had in the past. Holly who works here, lived in Germany before coming to ECR and she said only the drivers side is supposed to come on.

Maybe because it was a Jag it had an electrical problem!!!

Old December 5th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I think a lot of Discos have both working...maybe techs that don't know better put a bulb in when they are checking bulbs?
Old December 5th, 2007, 10:33 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

The State of California has regulations on the matter as follows:

A vehicle may be equipped with not more than two red fog tail lamps mounted on the rear which may be lighted, in addition to the required tail lamps, only when atmospheric conditions, such as fog, rain, snow, smoke, or dust, reduce the daytime or nighttime visibility of other vehicles to less than 500 feet.

When two lamps are installed, one shall be mounted at the left side and one at the right side at the same level and as close as practical to the sides. When one lamp is installed, it shall be mounted as close as practical to the left side or on the center of the vehicle

The lamps shall be mounted not lower than 12 inches nor higher than 60 inches

The edge of the lens of the lamp shall be no closer than four inches from the edge of the
lens of any stop lamp.

A non-flashing amber pilot light that is lighted when the lamps are turned on shall be mounted in a location readily visible to the driver.

... leave it to CA to actually have rules about where you put a light.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
lamp, license plate