libcomm14cux/RoverGauge - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old May 26th, 2012, 06:32 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
libcomm14cux/RoverGauge

I just wanted to share my success using Colin B's libcomm14cux driver and RoverGauge program that uses the library to read data from the 14cux ECU. You can read all about it here:

http://code.google.com/p/libcomm14cux/
http://code.google.com/p/rovergauge/

I just bought the USB cable suggested and followed the steps he gave to create a cable that works. I couldn't find a source for the connector to match the truck so just added another one, which happens to be a readily available IDE hard drive power connector.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1176.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	52177

Name:	IMG_1172.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	52178 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1173.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	52179 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1174.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	52180 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1175.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	52181

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	52182

I have just done basic testing but love it so far, and hope to spend some time looking into what other data can be gleaned from the ECU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2012, 07:04 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
video is private ...

I checked 2 trucks today and found they could only open 80% throttle ...

You have a TPS value of 1% ... thats low! ideally 3-4% ... mine is around 7% which is high and i need to adjust ... any more than 11% and the truck doesn't go into idle mode.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 26th, 2012, 08:07 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Whoops, try now.

Mmh, what are the ramifications of a low TPS? Right now my only complaint is poor fuel economy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2012, 09:04 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Video is still listed as private...

as a separate note, I was able to witness Charles' new toy first hand and I will be interested to see what other info he can get out of it but it is pretty cool so far!
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:09 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Should be good now. Not a terribly good video anyway, but...
Old May 27th, 2012, 02:27 PM
colinb
Colin
'94 D90 ST

Hi all,

I'm the author of the libcomm14cux library and the RoverGauge front-end. I'm glad people are having success with it. There's also a thread over at PistonHeads:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...?h=6&t=1134539

Note that the library currently isn't using the stored minimum throttle position that the ECU has learned; the minimum throttle percentage that you read may therefore be slightly inaccurate. This is a change I plan make soon.

--Colin
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:06 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Colin I have a ECUmate and a real advantage of that device is displaying the actual voltages. Any chance you could incorporate that?

Also a version that compiles on arduino would be cool as I could pull in various other readings ... Oil pressure etc.

I'd like to make a mini dashboard to be wired permanently.
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:13 AM
colinb
Colin
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Colin I have a ECUmate and a real advantage of that device is displaying the actual voltages. Any chance you could incorporate that?

Also a version that compiles on arduino would be cool as I could pull in various other readings ... Oil pressure etc.

I'd like to make a mini dashboard to be wired permanently.
It's possible to add the capability of displaying actual voltages; the reason I don't do that right now is that the sensor values I read from RAM are simply in ADC counts. (In other words, a 10-bit ADC channel can read from 0 to 1023.) I'd have to do some voltage-to-ADC calibration for the software to convert counts to voltage.

I'll look into expanding support to include the Ardunio. It looks like I'll need to modify and use one of the soft-serial libraries to manipulate GPIO pins, since the onboard hardware UART doesn't appear to be programmable (such that it could invert the logic on the Rx line.)

I definitely plan to add more enhancements, but I'm pretty busy in the summer, while the weather's good enough to be working on my queue of projects in the garage
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Interesting...can the ecu be remapped with this device?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:53 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
no ... this is read only.
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:15 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Awesome! I especially like the rampant acceleration

Cool stuff, Charles
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:17 PM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

Collin, do you know what the values of the lambda trims represent? Is it MAF table value +/-(value/255 * MAF table value)? And are they per MAF table cell or global trims?

I'm chasing down a problem on mine, it runs great until it hits closed loop, then goes to crap until the efi fuse is R&R'd. New Lambdas and ignition.

Here is a log http://www.flemcodesign.com/14cux/20128.txt

and the graph

Old May 29th, 2012, 05:53 PM
colinb
Colin
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf View Post
Collin, do you know what the values of the lambda trims represent? Is it MAF table value +/-(value/255 * MAF table value)? And are they per MAF table cell or global trims?

I'm chasing down a problem on mine, it runs great until it hits closed loop, then goes to crap until the efi fuse is R&R'd. New Lambdas and ignition.

Here is a log http://www.flemcodesign.com/14cux/20128.txt

and the graph

The lambda trim values are applied per bank, and are independent of engine speed or load. After the initial value is retrieved from the fuel map, it's modified by the 16-bit adjustment factor for that map. The fueling value is further modified to compensate for fuel and coolant temperature, as well as for main voltage. This value is also then modified by the lambda trim value (-256 to +255). After all of this is done, the final value is converted to a pulse width for the injectors, and the ECU sets up the fuel injector timer for that bank.

In your case, it almost looks as though the signal from the lambda sensors is intermittent. The lambda trim probably shouldn't get to +/-100%, because this suggests that the sensor is still showing a general rich (or lean) condition, even after the entire lambda trim range has been used to lean (or enrich) the fueling.
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:20 PM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb View Post
In your case, it almost looks as though the signal from the lambda sensors is intermittent. The lambda trim probably shouldn't get to +/-100%, because this suggests that the sensor is still showing a general rich (or lean) condition, even after the entire lambda trim range has been used to lean (or enrich) the fueling.

I'm not buying the intermittent signal, yet at least. That log was taken minutes after installing the new lambdas, same results.

I used the fuel pump run feature and did a little experiment this evening that has me thinking injectors.

I pulled the pump fuse and started the car, it coughed and died. Repeated to verify there was no fuel left in the lines. I then ran the fuel pump for about 30 seconds then pulled both the ecm and fuel pump fuses. I turn the key and the vehicle coughed and died. There should have been no fuel in the manifold.

Another thing I checked was the FPR. It checked out fine, but the fuel pump changed tone quite a bit when vacuum was put on it. I have not noticed this on other vehicles before, but I haven't exactly had to diagnose this problem before. Maybe the fuel pump is on its way out, but I have evidence that the injectors are so I'll start with those.
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:17 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
At last an engine diagnosis thread based on measurement, values and analysis!!!
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:23 PM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
At last an engine diagnosis thread based on measurement, values and analysis!!!
well I skipped an important step in the analysis: get under the truck and make sure there is no rock rash on the catalytic converter.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:12 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

This project is rather awesome. Thanks for releasing it under GPL. Maybe I will look into making some Python bindings for your library.

Arduino library would be sweet. Softserial works alright. Another option is to score a attiny2313 microcontroller and flash it yourself. I've used the Arduino IDE to create code for that chip and then compiled it to hex with the attiny compiler and flashed it with a usbtinyISP. By doing it this way, you can design a custom board that does only what you need and costs much less than the Arduino.

How long did it take you to reverse engineer 14cux?
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:37 PM
colinb
Colin
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
This project is rather awesome. Thanks for releasing it under GPL. Maybe I will look into making some Python bindings for your library.

Arduino library would be sweet. Softserial works alright. Another option is to score a attiny2313 microcontroller and flash it yourself. I've used the Arduino IDE to create code for that chip and then compiled it to hex with the attiny compiler and flashed it with a usbtinyISP. By doing it this way, you can design a custom board that does only what you need and costs much less than the Arduino.

How long did it take you to reverse engineer 14cux?
Thanks for the kind words. I'm working on the project together with my dad, and we've been working intermittently for about five years now. There's still more to do, but I'm pleased with the progress so far.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:32 PM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I'm working on the project together with my dad, and we've been working intermittently for about five years now. There's still more to do, but I'm pleased with the progress so far.
Do you know the address of the final injector pulse width?
Old June 4th, 2012, 07:23 AM
colinb
Colin
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf View Post
Do you know the address of the final injector pulse width?
I'm not sure that the final injector pulse width is actually stored in memory anywhere. The common (i.e. non-bank-specific) value is stored as it's being modified for coolant temperature, fuel temperature, and main voltage, but once the lambda trim is applied to create a bank-specific pulse width, this might be used directly to set up the output timer.

We're still investigating this area of the code.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
geek, libcomm14cux, rovergauge