libcomm14cux/RoverGauge - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old June 5th, 2012, 07:30 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Just a quick update, CarlosZ hooked me up with a bunch of used 5 pin TTS connectors so I made a new cable with the proper end and took a test drive in truck #2. I noticed the RPMs don't match the truck in a non-linear fashion. It appeared to be about 3% off at 1k, 10% off at 2k, and 15% off at 3k. I haven't had time to investigate further, and have no idea if the truck gauge is considered reliable, but figured I'd share. Truck #2 also shows 0% throttle position as well when no throttle (but has had the same disco 3.9 conversion by the same guy, so I guess consistency is good ).

Loic, I have earmarked a connector for you, but if anyone else needs one (Jason?) or a complete cable (I ordered a couple extra), let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2012, 07:35 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Just a quick update, CarlosZ hooked me up with a bunch of used 5 pin TTS connectors so I made a new cable with the proper end and took a test drive in truck #2. I noticed the RPMs don't match the truck in a non-linear fashion. It appeared to be about 3% off at 1k, 10% off at 2k, and 15% off at 3k. I haven't had time to investigate further, and have no idea if the truck gauge is considered reliable, but figured I'd share. Truck #2 also shows 0% throttle position as well when no throttle (but has had the same disco 3.9 conversion by the same guy, so I guess consistency is good ).

Loic, I have earmarked a connector for you, but if anyone else needs one (Jason?) or a complete cable (I ordered a couple extra), let me know.
The rpm max out at about 1750 on my ECUMATE ... Did you read the instructions for that? It explains why ...

Using this document you can cross reference many of the values you see on your screen.

http://p38arover.com/rover/p38a/Engi...UX_Systems.pdf

Oh yes ... I'd like that plug for when I build an arduino console! ;-)

What do I owe you for it?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:42 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
No, I haven't read any of the ECUMATE stuff. I'll try remember to put all this stuff on my phone for reading while on vacation. I don't need anything for the plug - just PM me your address. I'll put a cable together for you if you are interested in comparing ECUMATE values with the libcomm14cux ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2012, 08:04 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
No, I haven't read any of the ECUMATE stuff. I'll try remember to put all this stuff on my phone for reading while on vacation. I don't need anything for the plug - just PM me your address. I'll put a cable together for you if you are interested in comparing ECUMATE values with the libcomm14cux ones.
The ECUMate manual will explain more about the workings of your 14CUX setup than reading every post on this board ... It moves from shady tree mechanic guess work to actual diagnosis based on measured values and expected behavior

We should start at thread for diagnosis by measurement values only ... No guesswork allowed!
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:23 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Oh I totally agree. I'm just trying to lay the groundwork to be able to get the data. Then, I'm game for discussion for all of this stuff.
Old June 5th, 2012, 05:42 PM
colinb
Colin
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
The rpm max out at about 1750 on my ECUMATE ... Did you read the instructions for that? It explains why ...
Was it in the ECUmate instruction manual that you saw this? I couldn't find it under the RPM section.

If the limitation is what I think it is, then the maximum displayed RPM is 1950. Beyond that speed, the ECU does not calculate the RPM directly. My libcomm14cux library gets around this by computing the RPM from a measured pulse width, which is stored at a different location in memory.
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:26 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post

I have an inductive timing light which pics up rpm signal from any spark plug wire and displays digital, let me know if you ever want to compare numbers, I will come to your shack and hook to test...and check engine timing as well....
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:31 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Sounds like a plan.

BTW, you really outdid yourself with the connectors man! I took a closer look last night and you must have given me a dozen of the things! Thanks a bunch, and let me know if you need a hand with any of the rovergauge stuff.

Jason, I scanned that doc and I didn't see a reference to low rpm cutoff - it was something in the 4k range iirc.
Old June 6th, 2012, 04:44 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
Where the donor truck is headed, those connectors won't be needed so put them to better use... I sent you a link on a pm in regards to rsw solutions and his protocol findings.
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:18 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I must have been mistaken about it being in ecumate manual ... But basically I understand the CPU is too busy to output the RPM beyond about 1950 and this is the ecumate displayed max. Nice trick to reverse calculate it from the pulse width ...
Old June 9th, 2012, 11:05 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
New connector thanks to Carlos
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	52739
Quote:
I checked 2 trucks today and found they could only open 80% throttle ...
Mine was maxing at 83%. I increased it but saw once I hit 97% no more adjusting helped, so backed the stop off to the point where it hits 97%. Is this consistent with what you have found?

Quote:
You have a TPS value of 1% ... thats low! ideally 3-4% ... mine is around 7% which is high and i need to adjust ... any more than 11% and the truck doesn't go into idle mode.
I adjusted mine to 4%, felt peppier but it could just be me wanting it to

Thanks for the heads up on these!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb View Post
Note that the library currently isn't using the stored minimum throttle position that the ECU has learned; the minimum throttle percentage that you read may therefore be slightly inaccurate. This is a change I plan make soon.
So it sounds like this is a live value you are reading and not some value the ecu caches and uses? I guess it would be handy to be able to see both.
Old June 10th, 2012, 10:20 AM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
normally to set up tps one would use a vohm meter, set to ohms and adjust accordingly, at idle it should be an ideal of 0% (shot close) full throtle should be as close to 100% as possible. (of course this is done with engine off and sensor disconnected with leads running to tester for obvius reasons...ahem...igniton not be on or off as we are not going thru ecu just a centralized value). I have never ever seen 100% throtle on tps signal even thou throtle is wide open with brand new sensor, lets be real do you really go "wot" long enough... that engine wants to shed pieces all over at 5k rpm... so as few have figured out find a happy median where idle is not affected but start line throtle is responsive.. then leave it the "F" alone....
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:31 AM
colinb
Colin
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
New connector thanks to Carlos
Attachment 52739

Mine was maxing at 83%. I increased it but saw once I hit 97% no more adjusting helped, so backed the stop off to the point where it hits 97%. Is this consistent with what you have found?

I adjusted mine to 4%, felt peppier but it could just be me wanting it to

Thanks for the heads up on these!

So it sounds like this is a live value you are reading and not some value the ecu caches and uses? I guess it would be handy to be able to see both.
A maximum throttle position of 97% is exactly what I see on three different test vehicles ('94 D90, '94 Discovery, '93 RR). Because of physical limitations of the potentiometer and its mounting location, I believe 97% is reasonable as the max reading.

As of version 0.4.4 of libcomm14cux, the software calculates the throttle position by using the lowest reading so far as the minimum, and the highest-theoretical reading (1023) as the maximum. This should give the most accurate number.
Old June 10th, 2012, 03:42 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yes this was with 0.4.4

Maybe I'll see what ohm readings I get as well sometime for kicks.

I did unplug the tps and plug in another one. The plan was to test and see if the other behaved differently with me turning it by hand. But the reading stuck on 10 or 11 iirc, and wouldn't move. I forget what I did exactly but I think I just plugged the installed one back in, maybe turned the ignition on or off and got readings again (although at some point I did see I got a code, oddly both coolant temp and tps).

Interestingly i could only clear the code with the truck running - is this normal?
Old June 10th, 2012, 04:36 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
11% is the limp home value the ECU inserts for an error condition ... the ECUmate displays 'limp home detected'
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:08 AM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
guys, in the haste of things I forgot to mention that the 3 to 5% loss you are seing at full throtle is designed to close the injectors at full throtle, in case you have a flooded engine and are attempting to clear by using the old trick of flooring the pedal while starting the engine. (if it makes any sense).
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:38 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Yes this was with 0.4.4

Maybe I'll see what ohm readings I get as well sometime for kicks.

I did unplug the tps and plug in another one. The plan was to test and see if the other behaved differently with me turning it by hand. But the reading stuck on 10 or 11 iirc, and wouldn't move. I forget what I did exactly but I think I just plugged the installed one back in, maybe turned the ignition on or off and got readings again (although at some point I did see I got a code, oddly both coolant temp and tps).

Interestingly i could only clear the code with the truck running - is this normal?
Makes sense for the coolant temp as that gets a limp home value too
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:51 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:

thanks! I really have to take those extra 30 mins and swing by... Since I got my truck back, I keep driving it and can't stop!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:50 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Long shot but just saw some videos on the Nexus 7 being used in some vehicles and I immediately thought of the RoverGauge.

Thought this looked slick and might be doable with a Mud UK dash.

http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-7-...ideo-20120806/

And this Audi guys setup is neat - seems like the '97 NAS guys could do it too:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...xus-7-in-my-B7
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B7YXOM/
Old December 14th, 2013, 02:36 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
RoverGauge and Jason to the rescue this morning! We were joking that it took longer to get coffee than it did to get the truck started. Had been having an issue where the truck would prime but the fuel pump would not run, therefore the truck would not start. It'd come so close, but just wouldn't. Had left the truck battery unplugged for a few days after the first time it happened to try to reset the ECU. Still wouldn't start though.

Today, Jason came with the RoverGauge and manually ran the fuel pump and she started right up! Relays were functional, but ECU wasn't sending signal to them I believe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
geek, libcomm14cux, rovergauge