KAM Locker install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 17th, 2014, 09:01 PM
discojosh2000
Josh
1995 Black ST

KAM Locker install

I'm going to be installing KAM lockers into my D90. So far we have cut the axles housings and welded the mounting ring. We will see how this goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3284017420.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	88042   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-660224484.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	486.8 KB
ID:	88043  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

espere un momento....you're doing this?...lol. I'm impressed, are you getting ready for a wheelin expedition? Was going to come down to see you guys this week but I've been hold up with the flu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2014, 10:57 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

What's the advantages to kam over arb or Ashcroft?
Old January 18th, 2014, 12:30 AM
Ash
Ash Heller
6.0 LS 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
What's the advantages to kam over arb or Ashcroft?
Ashcroft and ARB are both air-actuated, while the KAM is electronically controlled. You could definitely argue in favor of the KAM in terms of simplicity and reliability due to the fact that it requires fewer components, but the ARB is a proven setup and I don't know that either one has a significant advantage over the other.

All selectable lockers require a 'feed' of sorts from the cabin to the axle housing, be it an air line, wiring, or a cable. The biggest downside with these types of setups is the risk of pinching or breaking your means of controlling the lock/unlock function, which would render the differential useless. Careful routing can negate the risk, but I have seen a handful of failures over the years.

The only real negative I have seen with the ARB is the hassle of potentially leaky fittings at your air compressor and/or tank.

I think it's really a matter of what you prefer and who you'd rather spend your money with. KAM and ARB are both great in my experience, and although I have no firsthand with the Ashcroft, there seem to be a lot of folks out there running them with positive experiences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

Old January 18th, 2014, 03:29 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Having to cut and weld your axle tube seems like a pretty big disadvantage to me.

Unless I'm missing something, there's no going back from that, except to source a new tube. No longer interchangeable with generic LR open diffs if you blow one up in the desert somewhere. Better hope your KAM dealer has them in stock because you won't find a spare at a junkyard.

On the other hand, I love an electric option other than a Toyota axle conversion.

/
/
/
/
Old January 18th, 2014, 03:53 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #463
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Having to cut and weld your axle tube seems like a pretty big disadvantage to me. Unless I'm missing something, there's no going back from that, except to source a new tube. No longer interchangeable with generic LR open diffs if you blow one up in the desert somewhere. Better hope your KAM dealer has them in stock because you won't find a spare at a junkyard. On the other hand, I love an electric option other than a Toyota axle conversion.
Exactly why I went Ashcroft front and rear!

Semper Fi!
Old January 18th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Ash
Ash Heller
6.0 LS 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Having to cut and weld your axle tube seems like a pretty big disadvantage to me.

Unless I'm missing something, there's no going back from that, except to source a new tube. No longer interchangeable with generic LR open diffs if you blow one up in the desert somewhere. Better hope your KAM dealer has them in stock because you won't find a spare at a junkyard.

On the other hand, I love an electric option other than a Toyota axle conversion.
Oh man, I cursed the last set of Toyota E-lockers I did.

The install is a bit labor intensive, but you can still run a standard open 3rd if you happen to grenade a diff. The modification made to the housing is on the diff cover side, to allow clearance for the solenoid and locking dog, and the way the differential mounts into the housing remains unchanged. It really isn't much more work than installing a sewer cap diff cover, which is a pretty popular option these days.

And as cheap as axle housings are, if you ever decide you no longer want it you can pick up a junkyard Disco axle, rebuild, and toss it under the truck at minimal cost.

352-572-3236

Old January 18th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Someone needs to tell Kam to tone down the marketing,

A big, shiny plate with "KAM" and "DIFF" "LOCK" ?

Yuck.

I'll keep my ARBs.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 18th, 2014, 09:50 AM
discojosh2000
Josh
1995 Black ST

Bill we are trying to plan a trip to Hidden Falls around the first week in Feb.

While this setup is a lot of work and everyone has there personal opinion on what Locker they prefer. I do like the look of the removable diff covers and the idea of a e-locker. I decided to give KAM a try. Hope to get both axles done next week. (KAM e-locker, 4:10 R&P, HD front and rear axles)

Old January 18th, 2014, 12:16 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discojosh2000 View Post
Bill we are trying to plan a trip to Hidden Falls around the first week in Feb. While this setup is a lot of work and everyone has there personal opinion on what Locker they prefer. I do like the look of the removable diff covers and the idea of a e-locker. I decided to give KAM a try. Hope to get both axles done next week. (KAM e-locker, 4:10 R&P, HD front and rear axles)
I kinda wish these were out when I started buying parts for my front Toy conversion. I like the E-locker as that was one of the main reason I went Toy. And the removable diff cover seems like a really nice option. It seems like a lot less work than a Toy setup (which IMO fabrication wise the Toy setup wasn't bad at all).

Question on the KAM E Locker - can you engage/disengage manually if the power supply is compromised? I can do so on my Toy setup and did for a while when I was street driving it.
Old January 18th, 2014, 01:12 PM
JSBriggs
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Someone needs to tell Kam to tone down the marketing,

A big, shiny plate with "KAM" and "DIFF" "LOCK" ?

Yuck.

I'll keep my ARBs.
ARB sells bling covers for Dana axles, besides 10 minutes with a flap disc will take care of that.

-Jeff
Old January 20th, 2014, 02:10 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D90 truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
ARB sells bling covers for Dana axles, besides 10 minutes with a flap disc will take care of that.

-Jeff
Devon 4x4 make a H/D diff cover that's bolted to a weld on ring. There proven in UK hard core off-road events, combined with an ARB or Ashcroft a great combination
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
Devon 4x4 make a H/D diff cover that's bolted to a weld on ring. There proven in UK hard core off-road events, combined with an ARB or Ashcroft a great combination
Linky to D44's cover for info :http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=14
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Lovely.

A bright red diff cover.

That would look great....on a Jeep.

Of course....I paint my OME shocks black because the yellow is too *bling*.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Lovely.

A bright red diff cover.

That would look great....on a Jeep.
Of course....I paint my OME shocks black because the yellow is too *bling*.
They do them in black too....
Old October 5th, 2016, 10:48 PM
User Name
User
NAS D90 '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by discojosh2000 View Post
I'm going to be installing KAM lockers into my D90. So far we have cut the axles housings and welded the mounting ring. We will see how this goes.
can you show us how you wired this? mine keeps blowing fuses....
Old October 11th, 2016, 11:03 PM
RamblerRob
Rob Apps
1967 series 2a 109 NADA

Registry
I'm about to take possession of a rig with a set of these installed front and rear along with all the kam HD axles and all. They are reported to work great but there is a small issue in power draw. They are supposed to draw 45amps to preload the spring and only 5amps to stay engaged. In this case they are continuing to draw high amps while engaged.
Old October 11th, 2016, 11:10 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Honestly not sure why anyone would run these, besides to be different. They don't work better, they aren't easier, they aren't more reliable, they require more modification, they're not cheaper, etc. There's no reason.....
Old October 11th, 2016, 11:52 PM
User Name
User
NAS D90 '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerRob View Post
I'm about to take possession of a rig with a set of these installed front and rear along with all the kam HD axles and all. They are reported to work great but there is a small issue in power draw. They are supposed to draw 45amps to preload the spring and only 5amps to stay engaged. In this case they are continuing to draw high amps while engaged.
Maybe that's why we keep blowing fuses... not sure. it's been a pain in the a$$. i now think there's a short to ground in the main harness so, i'm going to run through it all and see.

I'm curious to see where you got the 45 amps number from?? the directions call for a 30-35 amp fuse (yea, clear as mud) and it's funny because it calls for a 70 amp resisted relay....

Maybe that's the problem I'm having? needs a 45 amp fuse? i've tried 40 and that blew... took a little longer but blew. i'm just worried it will legitimately cause a fire if i try larger fuse and something happens...

------ Follow up post added October 11th, 2016 11:54 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Honestly not sure why anyone would run these, besides to be different. They don't work better, they aren't easier, they aren't more reliable, they require more modification, they're not cheaper, etc. There's no reason.....
zack, because at the time of purchase they had the only LSD diff with a combined with a locker option. i'm not sure anyone offers that. that said, i would not get this again if given an opportunity. their customer service is horrible and they wont warranty mine because Allmakes didn't pick up that line when they bought KAM...
Old October 12th, 2016, 01:01 AM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW #2-300Tdi #3-'12 LR4

Registry
People run them because they work. Read some Aussie off road and rally/RAID sites, it is a popular option even in ARB land. Not my cup of tea, anyway.

I personally would lean towards Ashcroft Locker. These guys have been doing Land Rover gearing for about 30 years.

There is also the Detroit option. No, not give up and just move away... Detroit lockers for Salisburys.
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects