Jerry Can Lockers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old June 3rd, 2011, 12:50 AM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Jerry Can Lockers

My 110 Ambulance camper conversion has officially started. I just installed the first of two Rhino jerry Can Lockers. These are the same boxes that Foley's has been installing for their expedition prepped 110 2drs, so it's a proven design. In a sizable heavy box, you get everything needed for the installation. Not for the faint of heart, you start by measuring and cutting a 365mmx 495mm hole in the side of your 110. There are some guide lines to use, but variations can be compensated for, and moved a few mm's either way. This allows them to be installed on 109 2drs, up to modern 110's due to the size of the box. Once the ginornous hole is cut, you fit the first of two very stout reinforcement pieces, which bolts to the side panel reinforcement mounting point, and will be bolted to the bottom of the box with the lower panel. I was concerned of the stability after removing so much metal of the lower panel, but after it is bolted together, it is rock solid. Next the box is fitted into the space, and I needed to cut down a few over size bolts in the wheel box. Once positioned correctly, the holes for all the rivets are drilled, and an extra pair of hands will make it much easier. After the rivets have been done, the second steel reinforcement piece is positioned on the forward out rigger. Depending on age,and condition, one or two holes will need to be drilled to fit the brace. Once this is in place, the braces will be riveted to the under side of the box, which you can see the placement in one of the interior pics. Next the door is riveted into place, and again an extra pair of hands will help. You could also bolt the top, and bottom holes, and rivet the middle one first, if alone. Now just the latch will need to be drilled, and bolted into place, and then you are done. Now the ginormous hole is a real functional piece of kit, that will hold 2 jerry cans, or anything else you would want to mount down low. There is a high quality rubber seal included, to seal from water, or dust, which would work for say housing a water heater, and filtration system. One of the boxes I brought over, will be used for just that purpose. Having a bad back, it took roughly 6 hours to install, but a healthy person should be able to do in 2-3 hours, if everything is close at hand. I just found a Rugged Guide video of a 110MOD retrofit, from a Wolf locker, to a Rhino Locker, here is the link Next, motor and gearbox swap.
Cheers,
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WheelBox1.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	39326   Click image for larger version

Name:	BigHole1.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	39327  

Name:	ValanceBrace3.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	39328   Click image for larger version

Name:	LockerBody1.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	39329  

Name:	InteriorRivetLocation1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	39330   Click image for larger version

Name:	LockerClosed1.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	39331  

Name:	OutRiggerBrace1.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	39332  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:14 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Greg

That thing came out great
Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:31 AM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Hey Barry
Thanks for that. It took me a bit, but glad how it went in. Never easy to cut a giant hole in the side of your truck.
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:50 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Nice, Greg! Do you have more pictures of your ambu-camper?
Old June 3rd, 2011, 02:54 AM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Hi Carl
Thanks. I will email some to you.
Greg
Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:42 AM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

Hi Greg,
Wow ! Thanks for posting the details of the installation and the photos. It turned out great ! ! !
Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Hi Frank
No problem. I will forward the info later tonight. You will be very happy when your done.
Thanks
Greg
Old June 8th, 2011, 03:43 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchinsr View Post
Hey Barry
Thanks for that. It took me a bit, but glad how it went in. Never easy to cut a giant hole in the side of your truck.
Greg
So true. I put windows in the sides of my 110 van, I did the "measure twice, cut once" routine about 20 times...

I have a set of military side locker doors I salvaged from my parts truck. The lockers were shot, but the doors are good. I'm going to build new boxes of aluminum rather than steel like the originals.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 8th, 2011, 04:40 PM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

We don't have a lot of ex mod trucks available for parts, so I opted to bring a few of these to the US. Having the doors and fab up the box will cost a lot less. I like the fact that these are sealed from the elements as well, so they are well suited to housing other systems sensitive to being exposed to the elements. I am very happy how solid these lockers are, and how much storage space I now have. I am having a left rear locker made now from Rhino, which I plan to fill with the service fluids, and some spares. I will take any unused space I can get from the exterior,as I wont have a roof rack.
Greg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects