iPad 2 Mount Project continued in D-110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old September 16th, 2011, 02:46 AM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
iPad 2 Mount Project continued in D-110

Hey guys,

Since I sold my Discovery and now am focused on the D-110 I thought I would post my new version of my iPad mounting system. Because I wanted to maintain a very stock and clean appearance on the dash I wanted this version to be invisible when not in use. My Defender 110 has essentially a 2002 Td5 dash but I maintained the head unit in the center glove box which allows me to stream Bluetooth audio, handsfree, and still have a regular radio (something I couldn't do in my Disco. Anyway, for those that didn't see my original design I just milled a piece of a aluminum in a lock and key like way that would allow the iPad to lock in either orientation. I wanted to make something that would be super rugged yet easily be able to slide the iPad out without scratches. Pictures tell the rest of the story:

CAD sketch of old system designed for Discovery from the front...

First fit of old system in the Disco...

Head unit I installed (KIV-701) in Defender that supports Bluetooth audio streaming from multiple devices. Example: iPad plays music and voice navigation, iPhone does handsfree...

New mount using parts from old one and modified to have a stealthy front...nothing but a milled key hole in a 1 DIN design...used quarter inch aluminum and bottom tapped everything so you wouldn't even see screw heads...

Rear of iPad 2 mount key...no real change here except that I shortened it to be lower profile...

Locked in Vertical...using my favorite Topo app...

Locked in Horizontal...using my favorite off road nav app...

Oh and a pic of the truck... ; )

Thanks for letting me share.

Christian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2011, 09:15 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Good job. Why not use one of those suction cup mounts on the windshield? What type of topo app are you using on your iPad. Does it work out on the trail without 3G?
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:58 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf110 View Post
Good job. Why not use one of those suction cup mounts on the windshield? What type of topo app are you using on your iPad. Does it work out on the trail without 3G?
The suction cup type mounts from like RAM or similar fall off too easy especially on very bumpy roads. An iPad falling off your dash is most likely going to get a dented or cracked screen. Also I prefer a more permanent installed look.

The app I use, among others, for topo maps is called TopoMaps. Its awesome because for $9.99 you get every map across the us in super res detail. Check it out. Also check out MotionX.

The GPS antenna in the iPad is built only into the 3G version so if you are going to use an iPad for nav make sure and get the 3G version.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
110, d-110, ipad, mount