Internal roll cage fab - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old March 20th, 2009, 10:25 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
Internal roll cage fab

I'm finally getting around to posting these pics if anybody's interested. Jim Pace (a forum member here), my wife and I ruminated a lot over the design, and basically, the goal was to protect the rear passengers (in four jump seats) and look consistent with original factory bits. It was fabbed up by a local guy named Leroy who really did a spectacular job. (He also fabbed up a winch mount, but I'll save that for the sequel.) It actually protects the front passenger much better, too, because the POE's didn't come with a B-pillar bar over the top--the external cage is just bolted to the aluminum top with no real support on the inside as most of you already know.

As you can see from the pics, it's tied to the W-bar, the external cage, and to the original cage structure that goes under the truck amidships and aft. The little tabs in the top corner of the B-pillar bar are gone. Originally I planned for the tabs to be the seat-belt anchor points for the forward-most jump-seat occupants. As I was installing the belts, I found a better point right on the vertical part of the same bar. I just drilled and tapped a hole where the steel is double thick at the connector collar. I have no empirical crash-testing data, but it just looked like that tab might want to find it's way into a front occupant's head in a catastrophic situation. The tabs in the corner of the C-pillar bar work perfectly for seat-belt anchors.

I had to make sure the C-pillar bar was forward enough so the rear-hatch hinges would have clearance to allow the hatch to close. The two bars on top running fore and aft between the B- and C-pillars were located there to give the jump-seat passengers as much head room as possible, and also so the alpine windows would not be obstructed. For lack of a better alternative so far, I've since put cheap pipe insulation on the bars as padding. Not ideal, but a head saver for sure.

The bars are all removable except the B-pillar vertical bars. Those had to be welded to the existing bar that comes up from the W bar, because Leroy didn't have enough clearance to weld a collar in between the bar and the aluminum top. All the collars are bolted together with two "C" type deals just like the factory's cage joinery. One of them is welded to the end of a bar on either side of the joint, and when assembled they meet and mate and bolt together in wedded bliss. It's a beautiful ceremony. (I told myself I wasn't going to cry...)

BTW, these photos show some stuff that's not right but have been fixed--like the twisted seat belt, rusty brackets, etc...just so you know.

Big thanks to Jim and Leroy for all their help. Now we can get dirty safely!

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3093_1.JPG
Views:	865
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	18377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3095_1.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	18378  

Name:	IMG_3096_1.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	18379   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3097_1.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	18380  

Name:	IMG_3098_1.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	18381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3099_1.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	18382  

Name:	IMG_3100_4_1.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	18383  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

That is exactly what I want to do with my SW... Thanks for the great pics.

Scott

Old March 30th, 2009, 06:05 PM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

Pete,
Looks great. Safe, clean and simple. Super job on following through with the project.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2009, 09:26 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I love it. Did he do it all ad-hoc, or does he have cad drawings of the design?
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:41 AM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
Well, I talked with Leroy about what we wanted and he pretty much made it up as he went along. No cad stuff though. It ended up exactly as planned. If you want more pics or a different angle of something, I'd be happy to provide them. Just let me know.
Pete
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:47 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thank Pete

If you have any shots of the assembly in progress, and/or close ups of the "C" joints I'd love to see them.

I want to do some interior cage work on my 110, and would like to make it bolt in like you did, trying to keep the joints as similar to the LR ones as possible.

thanks,
charles
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:58 AM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
I don't have any of the assembly as it progresses, unfortunately, but I can get some of the joints later today or tomorrow. It's basically my daughter's daily driver, so I have to wait till after school/work/boyfriend/whatever.
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:47 AM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
So, here are some pics of a couple OE joints and a couple of the ones we fabbed up. Hope those help!
Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3565a copy.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	18654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3566a copy.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	18655  

Name:	IMG_3564a.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	18656   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3568a copy.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	18657  

Name:	IMG_3569a copy.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	18658  

Old April 8th, 2009, 08:10 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thanks Pete

I'd love to do the OE style bend in the strap instead of the half tube and tab, but that would certainly work.

With the right setup I imagine someone could crank these out at a reasonable price - probably no demand though.
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Thanks Pete

I'd love to do the OE style bend in the strap instead of the half tube and tab, but that would certainly work.

With the right setup I imagine someone could crank these out at a reasonable price - probably no demand though.
There has got to be a source or a fab shop already making them. It would be pretty labor intensive to cut some tube and add tabs - makes for a weaker setup anyway....

I am going to give Iron Pig Offroad in Fredericksburg a call.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just finished a Jeep Grand Cherokee internal/external cage. Here are the roll cage clamps I've started using. They are a little pricey at $30 list price, but seem much stronger to me.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...mp_p_1467.html#
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 13th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
cool. any photos of the cage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication
Just finished a Jeep Grand Cherokee internal/external cage. Here are the roll cage clamps I've started using. They are a little pricey at $30 list price, but seem much stronger to me.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...mp_p_1467.html#
Old July 13th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
cool. any photos of the cage?
I'll try to scare some up.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
cage