Interior Surfboard rack system - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old May 28th, 2016, 08:42 PM
kurtisblo
Kurt
1991 Defender 110, LHD 200TDI

Registry
Interior Surfboard rack system

Hi all. I'm installing 2 tip up seats in the cargo of my D110 and leaving the other side/wheel well open. I would like to install some kind of an interior surfboard rack and storage system on the empty wheel well side. Anyone have any ideas on storage systems or is it best to design/fabricate a custom setup. I would love to be able to hold 1-2 boards on the interiors side wall or ceiling and then have a few storage bins to hold random crap, wetsuits, etc.

Thanks for ideas!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

What size boards? You could just mount (modify) a wall rack to the interior side. Long boards I'd guess would have to go overhead.
Old May 29th, 2016, 09:12 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Mantec sells a "load lugger" which is a roof mounted shelf. Might work in conjunction with something up front, like a sling between the second row grab handles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2016, 10:02 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
I have been toying with making an exterior side mount rack for my D90 that is coming. No chance my 9'6" will fit inside.

I was imagining two brackets that attach to the roof channels that does a 90 degree bend with a couple rubber feet that would rest on the side of the body. Goal would be to fit two longboards on the side. Climbing up on the tire to the roof is a hassle.

A bit like this

Old May 29th, 2016, 07:24 PM
kurtisblo
Kurt

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Mantec sells a "load lugger" which is a roof mounted shelf. Might work in conjunction with something up front, like a sling between the second row grab handles.
Thanks. I will check that out.
Old May 29th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
I have been toying with making an exterior side mount rack for my D90 that is coming. No chance my 9'6" will fit inside.

I was imagining two brackets that attach to the roof channels that does a 90 degree bend with a couple rubber feet that would rest on the side of the body. Goal would be to fit two longboards on the side. Climbing up on the tire to the roof is a hassle.

A bit like this

Go ahead and call me a dick, but if you mount some ridiculous side rack, like on that Pleasure Way, on your Rover because getting your boards off the roof rack of a Defender is "a hassle" then perhaps you should drive a lowered car or a mini van or something. Yes, I realize I'm being a dick but how bad can it be getting your board off the roof rack?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portsmith Island 2014.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	150528  
Old May 29th, 2016, 10:49 PM
Matt223081
Matthew Scanlon
84 D90 200TDI

get a good bag and throw them up top
Old May 29th, 2016, 11:14 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I'm guessing the OP wants a side rack because of garage clearance?
Old May 30th, 2016, 01:31 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
No, more likely being able to keep his boards in the truck during the day (while at work/school/whatever) and if a swell hits you then don't have to go home then grab your board then head to the beach. You ditch work early and head straight to the break. Or vise versa and get in an early morning session then straight to the office and your board is secure.
Old May 30th, 2016, 08:55 AM
kurtisblo
Kurt

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
No, more likely being able to keep his boards in the truck during the day (while at work/school/whatever) and if a swell hits you then don't have to go home then grab your board then head to the beach. You ditch work early and head straight to the break. Or vise versa and get in an early morning session then straight to the office and your board is secure.
Yes, what he said. My boards are between 6'3" and 7'6". I always keep them in my car during surf season so I'm ready to go if/when surf gets good. I'm going to try and find/design a good interior board rack system. Or I'll just keep the 2nd row seats folded down and throw em in the back
Old May 30th, 2016, 09:51 AM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

I would think you could craft something that makes use of the bolts between roof side and roof top. Kinda like this, but with a quick-release at the skeg end/back of the car so you can clear the rear door arch:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/orsra...o-zr352-71.jpg

------ Follow up post added May 30th, 2016 09:53 AM ------

... and just because it was the first google image when I searched "suv fishing rod holder," I figured I'd share:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...f89e852529.jpg
Old May 30th, 2016, 10:05 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If it was me I would go to an electrician that can bend conduit, explain what I wanted to do. Have him bend it, take that to a fad shop and have them weld brackets so I could attach to the inner part of the upper top. Have it powder coated and BAAM, you have an internal rack for the boards.
Old May 30th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
If you look up my registry photos you will see an interior shot of my truck, as part of the roll cage there is a horizontal bar toward the top of the cage I simply put the nose of my short (7'8") board on that bar and support the tail with a strap in the back of the truck. You could perhaps replicate this set up with a garment hanging bar behind your front seats. It will stay up and out of the way but still have easy access to it.
Old May 30th, 2016, 10:46 AM
kurtisblo
Kurt

Registry
Great ideas guys. How do you attach a bracket of some kind to the inside wall of the roof? What gives it strength to hold weight? Does anyone have close up photos of things being installed and secured to the inside of their defenders?
Old May 30th, 2016, 07:11 PM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

From your posting, I'm speculating... forgive me if I'm off-base in my response...

I'm assuming you have a full headliner in your 110? Ever peel it back?? There's several bolts that secure the roof top to the roof sides. I thought you might be able to use those to secure "U" brackets that would allow you to attache cross-bars that hold up the surfboards along the "ceiling." The whole contraption would gain its strength from gravity. I can't imagine surfboards weigh very much - and you could use PVC or aluminum channel for the crossbars.

In case you haven't taken your headliner out, here's a picture of the rear portion of a POE 90 that lacks the liner:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4841.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	150592  
Old May 30th, 2016, 08:52 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'm thinking a Raingler net type set up might be possible.

Raingler Nets & Grips, Dog Barrier Nets

Put something like this inside not outside:
http://www.raingler.com/#!product/pr...sert-style-net

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/12...d4b7d14ff5.jpg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects