Installing carpet in RHD 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 24th, 2016, 11:57 AM
rjwellman
Robbie
None

Installing carpet in RHD 110

I'm about to begin the process of insulating/sound dampening and then adding new carpet into my 1991 RHD 200tdi 110. I want to carpet the entire thing, including the cargo area. I'm having a hard time figuring out what carpets are available and what I need to be looking to buy.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2016, 12:18 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Have you checked out Exmoor Trim's options yet? Probably would not hurt to swing by an upholster shop. These boxes are probably pretty straightforward for them. Might want to make it all removable in case water gets in and you need to dry out.

Are you trying to bring the noise level down?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2016, 12:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Unless the truck is garaged and never driven in rain, you will probably be happier with rubber mats. A cut down NAS d-90 mat in the back and removal genuine mats in front is a good option.
Old August 24th, 2016, 12:27 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Here is a video detailing the install of the Exmoor carpeting. I think I am going to have a local upholstery shop do my front area carpeting rather then using this kit.

Old August 24th, 2016, 01:10 PM
rjwellman
Robbie
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Have you checked out Exmoor Trim's options yet? Probably would not hurt to swing by an upholster shop. These boxes are probably pretty straightforward for them. Might want to make it all removable in case water gets in and you need to dry out.

Are you trying to bring the noise level down?
Yes, I am trying to bring down the noise level a bit. My thought was to do something like dynamat or similar to help with insulation and sound deadening. I have looked at the Exmoor stuff. I sent an email to get clarification from them (I guess it went straight to Rovers North here in the US) on what I'd need and response has been a little slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Unless the truck is garaged and never driven in rain, you will probably be happier with rubber mats. A cut down NAS d-90 mat in the back and removal genuine mats in front is a good option.
It will be garage-kept. I'll definitely have rubber mats on top of the carpet and in the cargo area.
Old August 24th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Exmoor trim does a rubber sound deadening mat system. Carpet is a bad idea.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 24th, 2016, 01:23 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Exmoor trim does a rubber sound deadening mat system. Carpet is a bad idea.
Voice of reason...

We've installed and uninstalled most of the major options out there and the only thing I currently recommend for front seat in-cabin effectiveness and long term functionality is the moulded matting.

Do not affix deadening materials to panels - the same goes for carpets. Eventually water will work it's way under the covering and then corrosion starts. This goes for bedliner and powedercoating as well. Sound and heat are best attend to with layered solutions that are non-permanent. And avoid anything at low points that will hold moisture...
Old August 24th, 2016, 01:54 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
My front mat is the original one-piece that goes from door to door. I use a rubber floor mat in the footwells too. I've covered both sides of the trans tunnel with a self adhesive insulation material just like dynamat and I stuffed the void around the tcase shifter with heavy foam. In the back I'm still running the original thin factory floor runner in the cargo area and the middle row floor. They're factory original so to be honest I should roll them up and save them before they crack or split.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-184758400.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	156322   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1864268855.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	625.4 KB
ID:	156323  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2534672109.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	156324  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 24th, 2016, 02:01 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
My front mat is the original one-piece that goes from door to door. I use a rubber floor mat in the footwells too. I've covered both sides of the trans tunnel with a self adhesive insulation material just like dynamat and I stuffed the void around the tcase shifter with heavy foam. In the back I'm still running the original thin factory floor runner in the cargo area and the middle row floor. They're factory original so to be honest I should roll them up and save them before they crack or split.
You take out the carpet out of your 97 SW?
Old August 24th, 2016, 02:27 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
You take out the carpet out of your 97 SW?
No, kept the carpet in the 90. I'm referring to a tdi 110.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
110, rhd