Installing A Cruise Control In a D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old July 7th, 2015, 03:23 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Installing A Cruise Control In a D90

Finally got around to installing the Rostra Cruise Control in my 97 Defender 90. I had been putting this off for a few months since I really couldnít find a good spot to mount the actuator. I eventually realized it would fit under the air filter. So using the supplied mount and a piece of Stereo mounting bracket, I bent the brackets to clear and bolted the actuator under the Air Filter. There are a lot of wires that go to the Actuator and I needed to open up one of the blank holes in the bulkhead pass through and install another grommet. I picked up power and VSS signal in the instrument cluster area.

I didnít want yet another stalk on the Defenders steering column. So I opted for the surface mount unit, which is internally lit and also has power and engaged lights. It had one feature I didnít realize when I ordered it. It required two holes be drilled for the fir tree pins on the back, along with a hole for the wires. Well I didnít want to drill holes in the panel. I made a block from ABS sheet and drilled the holes and made a channel for the wires to pass along. I mounted this with cold weather double backed foam tape (really grips and is thin).

I had to eliminate the Tach signal, as for some reason, it is not compatible. So for over-rev protection, you have to use the Neutral Safety Switch, which the unit accepts as an alternate. Also you need to set high gain, 4000 pulses per mile and high sensitivity response. It works, which does relieve your leg on long trips. I got the unit and control off ebay, all for under $200. For reference it is the model 250-1223, the universal model.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Nice...I thought to myself, why? then I remembered, you're a pilot....lol. I guess it's kinda like cruise control on a motorcycle!!
Old July 7th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Look, if we (pilots) don't have a lot of buttons to push, along with lots of flashing lights, we go all German. Here in the open country, there is a lot of distance between anyplace, so it is boring and long. The other thing I use on long trips in the Defender, Bluetooth, noise eliminating, earbuds. Yeah, I use my AC as well. I spent way to many years in the Eastern Sahara without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2015, 01:08 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I like this.
Old August 19th, 2015, 01:17 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Clever? Is your switch plate on the other side of the wheel column already filled up? That would seem like a natural spot for this unit. To make space you could always move the dimmer to the empty hole just underneath on the binnacle support panel.

Anyhow, nice job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 19th, 2015, 01:57 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Really nice! I'll be getting to that someday! If I'm driving a whole tank of gas off, I usually buckle my knee as I get out of the truck from the strain! ;-)
Old August 19th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Yes, the other side already has switches for the diff lock. They do make stalk models, but the Defender already looks like some kind vegetable with all the stalks. The strong cold weather double backed tape makes it semi-permanent without any holes, allowing you to change your mind later on.
Old August 19th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I have the AudioVox unit, it's been in place since about 2000. I used the pulse signal from transponder(?) signal that drives the speedometer, at the rear of the transfer case, on my '97 to drive the cruise unit. The operational buttons on yours look almost identical to mine.
Old February 12th, 2016, 10:01 PM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

James,

Thanks for the write up. Where did you tap into for the neutral wire? What about for the brake light switch positive and negative? And power? Do our 97 have sine or square signals from the VSS? Just started to work on this.
Old February 12th, 2016, 10:24 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
The brake switch is there, nicely hidden on top of the brake pedal box. The switch completes a circuit, which goes to a couple of items, mainly the brake lights and tranny. I believe, dim recollection, you can select high or low on the controller, high being a 12V signal and low being a ground signal. You need to test it with a meter, I believe it went high, to 12 V. I do believe the VSS is a square wave. One thing I noticed, to keep it from hunting, I needed to keep the cable to the throttle cluster tight, if it has too much slack it is slow to respond.

My mounting location, while nicely tucked away, makes it impossible to re-set any of the switches without removing the unit and flipping it over so you can actually see the ridiculously tiny switches. I still have not tapped the neutral switch, since it is too cold here to do much lie on the ground work here at the moment (water freezes nearly instantly on the floor of my hanger). Not a big issue, it is really easy to switch it off manually, should it ever get bumped into neutral. Besides, if you tap the brake it disconnects as well.
Old February 12th, 2016, 11:40 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

On my '97, I tapped into the speedo sensor wire right behind the instrument cluster.
Don't remember which of the 2 wires I tapped, that was in the year 2000
Old February 12th, 2016, 11:46 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Here this might help a bit to find the sensor wire:

Old March 9th, 2016, 04:26 PM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

I finally got mine dialed in. However, I set gain to low, pulses to 8000. For me, setting gain to high made the cruise do some weird things. The tech support folks I talked to said they've only seen gain set to high in a few instances such as a motorhome or some diesel trucks.
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:22 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Motorhome or diesel, both kind of fit. I had to experiment with the installation on my VW Syncro to get it to run smooth. For the Defender, I actually jacked up the truck and rotated the wheel to count the pulses, but is 8,000 working? I think it only effects the minimum speed setting, which should be ~30mph.
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:50 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
sweet. i want more buttons to press too.
Old March 10th, 2016, 09:49 AM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

I calibrated my VDO speedometer via GPS and the result was approximately 8400 pulses. The Rostra tech did say the minimum speed the cruise control should activate was 35MPH. I have not tested that yet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
90, d90