Installation of Webasto Air Top 2000 ST "BLUEHEAT" Air Heater - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old February 17th, 2012, 07:40 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Lightbulb Installation of Webasto Air Top 2000 ST "BLUEHEAT" Air Heater

NOTES ON COMPILING THIS GUIDE

I have quite a few images and some notes included in this layman's guide. My hope is that these will eventually be very comprehensive, so please bear with me as I work on this guide. As I'll be uploading pictures and text instantaneously, extensive editing will undoubtedly be required. My aim is to provide folks with sufficient knowledge to be able to complete this installation on their own and/or with the help of friends with the minimum of fuss.

STATE, PROVINCIAL & LOCAL GOVERNMENT EMISSIONS REGULATIONS

Before you think about installing an after-market heater of any kind, please make sure the heater complies with your local Emissions Regulations governing their use in your State/Province/Country. If you are unsure of what these are, a good place to start would be your authorized Webasto dealer/distributor via the Yellow Pages or their North American HQ directly at 1-800-860-7866.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Check-Contents-&-Paperwork.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	738.4 KB
ID:	47721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mounting-Template.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	532.2 KB
ID:	47722  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drilled-Mounting-Position-In-Passenger-Underseat-Storage-Area.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	832.2 KB
ID:	47723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Positioning-Air-Heater-Unit.jpg
Views:	1127
Size:	904.2 KB
ID:	47724  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2012, 09:10 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Admin: I note the limit of 60 minutes which has been set for editing forum pages. Is it possible to allow me to have this privilege amended to enable me to continue with this Guide? By that I mean that it would be advantageous to just put together one single document rather than separate posts so that my notes are easier to follow for Members.

Would it be possible to do this?

Cheers for your consideration!

RedD90

For example, this is my edited version of the above. You can see how messy it will get if I do it any other way.

NOTES ON COMPILING THIS GUIDE

I have quite a few images and some notes included in this layman's guide. My hope is that these will eventually be very comprehensive, so please bear with me as I work on this guide. As I'll be uploading pictures and text instantaneously, extensive editing will undoubtedly be required. My aim is to provide folks with sufficient knowledge to be able to complete this installation on their own and/or with the help of friends with the minimum of fuss.

STATE, PROVINCIAL & LOCAL GOVERNMENT EMISSIONS REGULATIONS

Before you think about installing an after-market heater of any kind, please make sure the heater complies with your local Emissions Regulations governing their use in your State/Province/Country. If you are unsure of what these are, a good place to start would be your authorized Webasto dealer/distributor via the Yellow Pages or their North American HQ directly at 1-800-860-7866.

SO WHY A WEBASTO AIR TOP 2000 ST "BLUEHEAT" AIR HEATER?

After I had made a variety of improvements to the existing stock heater, including most if not all the suggestions recommended by other Defender owners, it was becoming very clear to me as I fiddled and poked my way to eking out an extra degree or two of warmth from it that I was failing in my efforts. Indeed, Mrs RedD90 made me very aware that unless I did something to make the ride more comfortable for her, she was going to force me to do the unthinkable; sell "Big Red!"

As all my fellow Defender owners know, this miracle of a four-wheel drive is THE quintessential of hard-working farm and utility vehicles. It rightly lacks the 'creature' comforts you would normally associate with most other vehicles that are on the road or trail but what it lacks in lots of luxurious extras, it more than makes up for in so many other ways that other drivers just don't get. Needless to say, I'm not here to teach or preach to any of you because you all know where I'm coming from.

Anyhow, I knew I had to do something as our economic woes continue to hit us and we have been forced to succumb to becoming a one-vehicle family; accordingly, I had some drastic choices to make. Needless to say, I was not going to make the mistake of selling her because my love for my truck is far too strong. Thus, I spent an inordinate amount of time over the past two months looking at every conceivable option, including more affordable solutions along with far more expensive ones, including the Eberspächer and Webasto Gas heaters.

In the end, I opted for the Webasto Air Top 2000 ST "BLUEHEAT" Air Heater because of its compact and quality design, its ability to throw out a tremendous amount of heat and because it is reasonably economical to run. Cost was a consideration but ultimately, I set this aside because I was looking for a great solution that I knew Mrs RedD90 would be very pleased with and so it has proved.

I can attest to the fact that Canada is indeed a very cold country in the wintertime and coupled with the fact that my Defender is a soft top, you can imagine just how hard it is to maintain a decent temperature inside, especially at levels above the waist where the cold wind whips at the canvas top and makes its way through all the gaps around the doors etc.
Old February 18th, 2012, 10:49 AM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Admin: My creative juices are flowing and I'm hoping you have a solution to my request above! lol I could create a html page and/or PDF document with images and text which will have a better look about it as an alternative. The drawback with that is that the process becomes prescriptive rather than a two-way process, which is what I want. I want feedback! I want to be able to incorporate feedback!

I guess if this is technically not possible from an administrative perspective, rather than doing this on the fly, maybe I should complete it offline and then just upload it then? The only problem with this is that there's a huge delay in getting the guide out there for feedback which I think is a key part of compiling a robust guide that will stand the test of time and draws on the expertise, talents and worldly advice from other Members.

Do you get what I mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2012, 01:31 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

I am in need of help from Admin to enable me to get over the problems I'm having with being able to knock this guide up in the way that I've asked for. If my request is not possible, then please let me know and I'll try and come up with an alternative. I am more than willing to go thro' any learning curve and/or do things in a different format to achieve the compilation of an interesting, informative, robust and comprehensive guide that D-90 Members will appreciate. I'm a procedure writer by trade and recognise the importance of feedback and keeping things simple.

To further explain, I would like the ability to edit any pics and text in the draft guide up which to a point when we can agree it is complete and then disable further editing at that point. Is that possible? If it isn't, please advise and I'll probably produce a PDF file with a link to it held elsewhere online to get over this issue. I would rather avoid this because the final version of the Guide will lose its D-90 roots if you get my drift.

Let me know as soon as possible as my time in the next week or so will become more limited as I work for myself and can't keep the window of opportunity of completing this open without knowing if there's a solution to what I'm asking.

Cheers folks!

JNH (Hicktonite)
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:26 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Thanks to all that have PM'd me. As promised and as an alternative, I'll be sending out the full details of the project via email. Please let me know if you have any additional queries once you've trawled through my notes and copious images; I'm more than happy to answer any and all questions!
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I have just seen this thread (along with your other thread in the help section). I think you are assuming we see each and every post on this site, but we don't! We cannot currently change the settings for your thread afaik.

It looks like the biggest issue is the images, is that correct? I just did a test and it appears you can't just reference those same attachments directly in a later post. I will look into this and let you know if there is a way.

But please note that no-one has commented on your post yet, so I say post up a consolidated version and ask for feedback. At the very least if you focus on the project and not asking for Admin help, it may encourage others to participate.

hth
charles
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
We can also merge posts together later. So if you do multiple posts and want them put into one, let us know. Use the "report post" link to let us know you want something.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:54 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Thanks for your input, Gents! I was feeling very forlorn. Ha ha!

Due to my busy schedule, I had to put my write-up on the back-burner for now. Maybe if I get the time in March, I'll try and finish it all off. It really is a bit much me asking you guys to change things just for me, even if what I'm trying to accomplish is what I'd prefer. It's for me to change the way I work to fit in with the way the website works, not for me to suggest enhancements, even though they would be awesome.

It is the pictures and consolidation of everything into one post which is what I was after but I totally understand if this can't be achieved. It is also getting feedback in real time which would really enhance the final write-up I think but again fully accept this won't be possible. No biggy.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

And Janet. Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
2000, air, heater, installation, top, webasto