In line blower for mantec raised air intake system - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old November 20th, 2009, 02:36 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

A little basic physics - two years later- a 4.0 liter motor (4 liters displacement per rev) turning at 1000 rpm will move .... 4000 liters per minute of air. Or 141 CFM. At 4000 rpm, it's 565 CFM. So that 170 CFM blower will help at low rpms. Over pressure won't be a probelm from a blower of that kind - they are not designed to generate pressure, just high flow. Dead heading (or trying to deliver higher volume than the motor needs) will just burn a little electricity. The blow might actually contribute to restriction at higher demand rates than it can deliver. A bypass flapper would be ideal, but...I still think the blow is a good idea for around town and crawling.

There are flow losses do to that long run of corregated tubing for sure. When I had my '94, I saw a 2-3 mpg drop on highway with the Mantec installed - Len, interesting you haven't seen that. I basically would run it disconnected unless off road. I also notied a bit of loss of torque - so the 'long straw' effect was real in my experience. It's not as bad at low rpm - losses and restriction will increase with square of air flow rate, blah, blah, blah...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Maybe in some textbook. but probably not even there...too much hot air in the classroom. Guessing the VE of LR VB is around 80%?

Now if it was a tdi we'd be talkin'

And by your own estimation around town and at low rpms is exactly when you wouldn't need it. Snake oil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16kpsi
A little basic physics - two years later- a 4.0 liter motor (4 liters displacement per rev) turning at 1000 rpm will move .... 4000 liters per minute of air.
Old November 20th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Or you can just do what I do, put on the snorkel just for looks. I know I admitted I was a poser already.

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
air intake, mantec