Illumination of the Heritage marque - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old November 21st, 2017, 01:20 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Illumination of the Heritage marque

To take my NAS D90 into the 21st century I installed a small led lamp to illuminate the vintage land rover badge installed on my grill...even with the badge I am sure I will still get complements on my Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7100.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	328009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7093.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	328017  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2017, 02:23 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You do have one of the nicest jeeps I've seen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 21st, 2017, 11:29 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You do have one of the nicest jeeps I've seen

Thanks Jim , - do you still have your yellow 90? I like the 130 - are you driving it around Europe?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2017, 11:37 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
now all you need is a set of puddle lights for when you open the door

https://www.amazon.com/DELEIKA-Land-.../dp/B06XNYC8K2
Old November 21st, 2017, 01:07 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
now all you need is a set of puddle lights for when you open the door

https://www.amazon.com/DELEIKA-Land-.../dp/B06XNYC8K2

Those are pretty cool ! - but I would likely install them to point outward (parallel to the ground) so they would laser project the Land Rover logo onto the cars passing me on the highway - I would keep them directed low enough (car door level). so no one loses an eye!

Old November 21st, 2017, 02:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB View Post
Thanks Jim , - do you still have your yellow 90? I like the 130 - are you driving it around Europe?
Still have the yellow 90, and the NAS 110 which you never saw because I bought it after we moved out to NY. I'm cruising around Europe (slowly) in the 130. We took it skiing in Norway last winter. I mean, we took it to go skiing, the 130 itself did not ski.

Old November 21st, 2017, 07:34 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
here is a view of the business end in daylight
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7104.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	328433  

Old November 22nd, 2017, 02:38 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
What is your ARB indicator hole setup? Are those marker lights or fogs? I really like it.

Old November 22nd, 2017, 07:52 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
What is your ARB indicator hole setup? Are those marker lights or fogs? I really like it.
Hi Jim - Those lights are re purposed NiteRider mountain bike lights. But they have been mildly customized. instead of using halogen lamps I installed LED lamps with the same form/fit as the halogen lamps. Each lamp has the output equivalent to 20 watts. (but only draw 3 amps of power.) I use the bumper mounted lights as daytime running lights, ( they are very bright) I also have 6 Dual beam NiteRider lamps installed on my roof rack and as interior lights for the load space. The rack mounted lamps are very good work lamps. But I also use them for night driving on narrow roads. (it lets me see just how close I am getting to rocks, tress, edges of cliffs, etc). I have one mounted at the rear of the truck which is tied into my backup lights - so I have good lighting when backing up. I sourced the NiteRider lamps on eBay over a year ago - I bought 8 dual beam lights and 5 single beam lights and was able get most of them for $10 to $15 each - I got a couple for $2.50 each. The units are weather proof and seem to be holding quite well. I used the niterider mounting components to attach the lamps to simple brackets I fabricated. If you want to do the same I'd be glad to fabricate the brackets for you.

I attached a couple pics for you - the lamps in the bumper are single beam units - the ones on the roof rack are dual beam units. I also attached a pic of the lights turned on... the sun just went down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7110.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	328537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7113.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	328545  

Name:	IMG_7114.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	328553  

Old November 23rd, 2017, 02:44 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB View Post
Hi Jim - Those lights are re purposed NiteRider mountain bike lights. But they have been mildly customized. instead of using halogen lamps I installed LED lamps with the same form/fit as the halogen lamps. Each lamp has the output equivalent to 20 watts. (but only draw 3 amps of power.) I use the bumper mounted lights as daytime running lights, ( they are very bright) I also have 6 Dual beam NiteRider lamps installed on my roof rack and as interior lights for the load space. The rack mounted lamps are very good work lamps. But I also use them for night driving on narrow roads. (it lets me see just how close I am getting to rocks, tress, edges of cliffs, etc). I have one mounted at the rear of the truck which is tied into my backup lights - so I have good lighting when backing up. I sourced the NiteRider lamps on eBay over a year ago - I bought 8 dual beam lights and 5 single beam lights and was able get most of them for $10 to $15 each - I got a couple for $2.50 each. The units are weather proof and seem to be holding quite well. I used the niterider mounting components to attach the lamps to simple brackets I fabricated. If you want to do the same I'd be glad to fabricate the brackets for you.

I attached a couple pics for you - the lamps in the bumper are single beam units - the ones on the roof rack are dual beam units. I also attached a pic of the lights turned on... the sun just went down.
(Sorry - I wrote "draw the 3 amps of power" in the description - It is was suppose to say 2.5 to 3 watts of power) - they draw of very little power for the high output of light.

here is the url to the lamps I used:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-bulb-hh/2113/

Old November 24th, 2017, 03:53 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
I just went out to eBay to check the prices that sellers ar easking for the vintage niterider gear... it looks like prices have skyrocketed - making it cost prohibitive to buy the used bike gear for LED lamp replacement. There are plenty of other LED lamps out there configured for 4 wheelin'

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects