Ignition wiring question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 25th, 2014, 09:10 PM
1988 RHD 110
Ignition wiring question

First thanks to the 2006 thread that explained the use of an easy-out to get the bolts off the ignition housing.

I am replacing my ignition (switch and housing) because I was getting intermittent power through the switch. When I got in there I noticed the very thick brown wire (#8 or even #6 wire) that plugs into the back of the ignition switch had evidence of heat on the plastic shield that covers the female connector. It struck me as bad engineering to see this very thick wire attached to a single small spade connector. It did not surprise me that this connection would generate heat.

Well that male spade for the brown wire is connected to another male spade right next to it on the back of the switch - I presume this is so you can connect additional accessories onto the switched power supply. Since I am not planning to use the extra male spade for anything I am thinking of soldering a short jumper onto the brown wire and add a female connector onto the jumper - that way all the current now going through a single spade connector into the brown wire will have the benefit of two spade connectors.

Anyone have any experience with this? think its a bad idea for any reason.

Finally I would like to know what the four wires that connect to the back of the ignition each do.

They are: Thick white wire, thin red with white stripe, thin white with red stripe and the thick brown wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0457 (Medium).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	88636   Click image for larger version

Name:	new ignition.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	88637  

'88 ROW 110 5-door SOLD
'01 Disco II

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects