Hi Lift Bumper Mount - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old May 3rd, 2015, 01:12 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Hi Lift Bumper Mount

So the only downside to the drop curtain I installed this winter is I lost my internal way to mount my Hi Lift jack. So I decided to make a removable bumper mount, as I really didnít care for the ones commercially available and they seem a bit overpriced. So for about $8.00 in hardware I fabbed a mount out of some stout scrap angle iron I had laying about. It mounts to my brush guard and is sandwiched between it and the bumper. I drilled the two holes in each and tapped them. The one supporting the jack I reinforced the mounting by welding a bolt on the backside to give a bit more thread bite. A couple of grade 5 bolts and some brass pipe to make some spacing bushings and it works. So last step is to drop it off at the powdercoater when I have some more stuff to be done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2015, 06:28 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Pedestrian tested?
Old May 3rd, 2015, 06:40 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Absolutely, killed every zombie I hit. "Come on brain sucker, shake a leg there!!"

Realistically, I don't leave it on the vehicle. I made it to go in under 5 minutes. Living where I do (we have a large seasonal derelict migratory population that passes through), you don't leave any of your field gear attached to the car that can easily be pawned. Besides, not going for the parking lot expedition look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2015, 09:57 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
(we have a large seasonal derelict migratory population that passes through)
Nice job and nicely put.
Is there room for the Jack to be flipped over so the handle is on the top? If the isolater let go that handle is going to do some serious damage.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:30 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
There's never a good place to safely stow these dangerous, heavy pieces of crap.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:56 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
There's never a good place to safely stow these dangerous, heavy pieces of crap.
Oh I don't know. Mounted like he has it in front of the bumper it makes a good if fragile bumper protector.

Before each use the I-beam should be checked to make sure it hasn't been bent and the ratcheting mechanism will probably require a cleaning prior to use.

I've never understood why people tend to mount them in locations where they are most likely to become damaged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 3rd, 2015, 12:27 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Nice job and nicely put.
Is there room for the Jack to be flipped over so the handle is on the top? If the isolater let go that handle is going to do some serious damage.
You know, I would have to check on that. I put it that way as the jack mechanism sticks out further on one side. If it didn't, a slightly longer bolt and spacer would do the trick. That handle holder is really substantial, but a large ducting tie wrap would do the belt and suspenders trick.

In the 38 years I have been a geologist going off road, I've never unintentionally hit anything. If I have to nudge anything (think water buffalo, camel, ostrich all of which like to stare you down on the road) It does come off really quickly, but yes it can get dirty there, but pretty much the same as any other exterior location. On a funny note, since we have so many people come up here to go off roading. I have watched, while relaxing during a bike ride, a clown clean all the goodies and bikes off his roof rack going under a tree. Thought it was a funny isolated thing, then in Moab another treated me to a curtain call performance. The Ponderosa Pine always wins. Apparently happens a lot here at fast food and old route 66 motel drive throughs, but I never seen it.

I've never had to use a Hi-Lift on a car. I keep it to break and move rocks, which I fortunately have not had to do in a while, who knows, could come in handy on the truck as well. My powder coating guy traded it to me for a new Canadian Specter military fuel can. It does little good in my hanger, while I'm in the field, should the occasion arise. I had a super spot on the reinforcing bar behind the seats for it. It also doubled as a mounting location for canteens and flashlights. The drop curtain, which I like more, interferes with that spot

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
bumper, mount