Defender Source Forum banner

Headliner repair

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  4RF RDS 
#1 ·
So I have the dreaded sagging headliner. I removed it yesterday and have stripped the material off. The actual headliner base seems in good condition. Could probably do with stiffening a little to better hold its shape. I wondered if anyone has any experience of in stiffening these and if so what did you use?

Also any recommendations on what to do whilst the headliner is out. Obvious sound proofing is a must. Anything else I should do? I wondered about running some electric wire down the length of the truck for possible future use and also installing some rear speakers.

#2 ·
I am dealing with this now. I reinstalled my front headliner this morning. I paid an upholstery shop $300 to recover the headliner. I did not add any stiffening although it didn't really need it. While it was out I did roof sound/heat insulation and installed rear speakers, utilizing the upper channels to run the wire.

#3 ·
Having pulled and recovered my headliner years ago, I'm not sure how much you could stiffen it without greatly impacting your ability to reinstall. The process isn't necessarily hard, but it is definitely awkward and requires some manipulation/twisting of the headliner at times.

#4 ·
I recently restretched my hardliners in my 100. Took them out and pulled the material as it was sagging, mostly in the rear load area. Reglued it on the back side edges and stapled it in place. I then put B-Quiet sound deadening on the back side of each panel. Also did the entire underside of the roof. Adding the sound deadener to the headliner panels reinforces it and has the added benefit of helping with the vibration and sound deadening. It is a lot quieter in my 110 now, no sagging headliner and looks great. Cost about $100 in sound deadening and three hours labour. :thumb:

#6 ·
I need to get my headliner on my 110 csw installed, it has not been in since I bought the truck. I pulled the fabric and like others my panels are good so will be reusing them. Since I use the load area a lot, quite often with the back seat removed I need something pretty hard wearing because it is bound to get dirty/scratched.

Curious if anyone has tried a Line-x type or other spray on material that would work well on the panels and stand up to wear pretty good? Is there other options anyone might recommend if you do not want to use fabric?

#7 ·
I need to get my headliner on my 110 csw installed, it has not been in since I bought the truck. I pulled the fabric and like others my panels are good so will be reusing them. Since I use the load area a lot, quite often with the back seat removed I need something pretty hard wearing because it is bound to get dirty/scratched. Curious if anyone has tried a Line-x type or other spray on material that would work well on the panels and stand up to wear pretty good? Is there other options anyone might recommend if you do not want to use fabric?
Line-x for wear and maybe heat deterrent but there's no going back if you don't like it. The dark color would be something that would take some getting used to but maybe you can paint it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.