Headlight Guard Design - Page 9 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old September 5th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Production Update

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have been working hard to find a reliable production vendor for these products, both locally, domestically and in Asia. No luck just yet. I was originally going to wait to produce these until I had secured such a relationship but I have decided that I don't want you to wait for these any longer so instead I'm going to announce a group buy, take pre-orders and have these produced locally in small batches. Meanwhile in the background the search for long term production relationships will continue.

I have decided to create a new group buy thread for all these products and I hope to announce pricing and take pre-orders on that thread starting next Friday Sept 12th. I really appreciate everyones patience here. I am probably the most anxious out of everyone to get these out in the hands of people who will be using them. Stay tuned for the group buy announcement. Thank you.
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
One more thing to get your input on. I am also in the process of making a set of aluminum headlight surrounds. I plan just to make a set for myself or if there is interest, for others. The challenge I am trying to overcome here is the trim ring around the headlight. The surround would be stamped and I'm trying to come up with a more cost effective way than machining the trim ring. Personally I love the clean appearance of the body painted aluminum surround (pic 2).
Clearly not only am I fixated on the covers but also those JWpeakers. What connects did you need to plug these boys in? These look like they are worth the protection...
Old September 6th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Are you talking about the headlights, Mark? Mine came with an H4 plug so its as simple as unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one. If you at going to spend the coin on LED headlight I highly recommend getting some guards to protect your investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbull View Post
Clearly not only am I fixated on the covers but also those JWpeakers. What connects did you need to plug these boys in? These look like they are worth the protection...
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Quote:
Are you talking about the headlights, Mark? Mine came with an H4 plug so its as simple as unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one. If you at going to spend the coin on LED headlight I highly recommend getting some guards to protect your investment
Yes, I am in, when you open the group batch!
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Grill Updates

Here's an update to the "stock" grill design in aluminum. I have added slots in the vertical cross bars on the rear of the grill and I have designed an L-shaped bracket that can mount to any of these slots so that you can install lights, badges or other accessories. This way you get a flexible option of mounting something anywhere on the grill and should you not want this option there is nothing to detract from the original design. If you want it its there, if you don't its not. This design will be going through 2nd round prototyping shortly.

I have also been working on a heritage, series inspired grill for the Defender. The intent is to have a very solid all aluminum mesh grill that can be hard anodized and painted without the fear of flaking or corrosion. It's just a concept at this stage but I have begun conversations with my fabricator and I have also begun looking into mesh sourcing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill OEM 1 091014.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	102700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill OEM 3 091014.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	102702  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill Heritage 1 091014.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	102703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill Heritage 2 091014.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	102704  

Old September 11th, 2014, 02:32 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Your Heritage style grill looks great. Would you offer it in a basic non-blackened form? I'd like to powder coat it Brunel silver to match the headlight surrounds.
Old September 11th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Yes! Bare aluminum (for own preference of paint, powder coat etc) and anodized black will be offered for more or less all the products.
Old September 11th, 2014, 03:12 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Thanks Carl for the quick response.

BTW, are you still working on the aluminum headlight surrounds? I've changed from NAS type to ROW to get the Brunel Silver ones but they are still plastic. I'd like to get the Heritage style grill and metal headlight surrounds from you (if you plan on making them) so I can have them painted and easily matched.
Old September 11th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
I just wanted to let everyone know that I have been working hard to find a reliable production vendor for these products, both locally, domestically and in Asia. No luck just yet. I was originally going to wait to produce these until I had secured such a relationship but I have decided that I don't want you to wait for these any longer so instead I'm going to announce a group buy, take pre-orders and have these produced locally in small batches. Meanwhile in the background the search for long term production relationships will continue.

I have decided to create a new group buy thread for all these products and I hope to announce pricing and take pre-orders on that thread starting next Friday Sept 12th. I really appreciate everyones patience here. I am probably the most anxious out of everyone to get these out in the hands of people who will be using them. Stay tuned for the group buy announcement. Thank you.
Looking forward to it. Any news on a production date?

Great to meet you at the ABFM!
Old September 11th, 2014, 03:29 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Here's an update to the "stock" grill design in aluminum. I have added slots in the vertical cross bars on the rear of the grill and I have designed an L-shaped bracket that can mount to any of these slots so that you can install lights, badges or other accessories. This way you get a flexible option of mounting something anywhere on the grill and should you not want this option there is nothing to detract from the original design. If you want it its there, if you don't its not. This design will be going through 2nd round prototyping shortly. I have also been working on a heritage, series inspired grill for the Defender. The intent is to have a very solid all aluminum mesh grill that can be hard anodized and painted without the fear of flaking or corrosion. It's just a concept at this stage but I have begun conversations with my fabricator and I have also begun looking into mesh sourcing.
Interested in the stock grill.
Old September 11th, 2014, 04:25 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I saw Carl's work in person last month and it is really good stuff.
Old September 11th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I definitely am going to make them. The design is done and partially prototyped but as it turns out this one is the most challenging to make affordably in small batches. Technically it is a piece of cake... if you make 15K units. Stamps and deep draws require tooling so at this point they may have to be machined. I'm leaning towards stamping the front facia and machining the trim ring to reduce cost but only if welding the ring to the facia will be durable and won't cause any issues. I can't wait to get a set of these myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post
BTW, are you still working on the aluminum headlight surrounds? I've changed from NAS type to ROW to get the Brunel Silver ones but they are still plastic. I'd like to get the Heritage style grill and metal headlight surrounds from you (if you plan on making them) so I can have them painted and easily matched.
Old September 11th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Great to see you too, Paul! I plan on organizing a pre-order 'group buy' for these items. I was hoping to announce it tomorrow and then start taking orders and payments. Realistically though it may be a few more days until I have my ducks in a row. These first batches will be made in Portland where I can have control and oversight over the final product. Did you notice that I took your request for mounting lights and badges into consideration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Looking forward to it. Any news on a production date?

Great to meet you at the ABFM!
Old September 11th, 2014, 05:42 PM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

I'm interested in both the stock and the Heritage. I think I have a grill fetish . . .
Old September 11th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Did you notice that I took your request for mounting lights and badges into consideration?
Much appreciated!
Old September 11th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Great!

The "stock" version will be done first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgottehrer View Post
I'm interested in both the stock and the Heritage. I think I have a grill fetish . . .
Old September 11th, 2014, 07:16 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Great!

The "stock" version will be done first.
That's great! I'll be ordering a stock grill too. I've got my finger on the paypal trigger! Great work!
Old September 19th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Quick Update

Just a quick update to let everyone that I am currently working hard to get a group buy ready for these products. In order to avoid delaying things further I may go ahead and start a group buy with the small headlight guard and the OEM grill design first and then have the other products follow suit. Thanks for your patience and stay tuned.

- Carl.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Old October 12th, 2014, 08:48 AM
kgottehrer
Kevin Gottehrer
1997 D-90 SW

Any update on the grill group buy?
Old October 12th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Here's the latest.

Yes! Thanks for the interest, Kevin. New developments causing some delays but all for the better in the long run. Parts were water-jet cut for the next generation of the small guard, large guard, rear NAS lamp guards and the OEM grill this past week. These final samples will be assembled and tumbled this week and should be anodized the following week. Once finished I will photograph them individually as well as on a Defender so that you can see exactly what the final designs look like in its finished form for each product. The good news is that I have also found a vendor for the headlamp surrounds so it looks like these will be available around the same time as the other products.

I'm going to start a new thread today for all these products where I will be posting more preliminary pre-order information as well as a non-binding sign up list.
-
-

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
aluminum grill, custom, design, fabrication, headlight guard, military grill, nas, nas lamp guards, rear lamp guards, rear light guards, stage 1, wolf