Headlight Guard Design - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old July 24th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Less than you think!

Yes, theres quite a few components but a large portion of them are identical which makes cutting and bending go really quick. This one was relatively pain free and pricing came in lower than I had expected. I got very close at first try considering I didn't even bother to mock this one up before prototyping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Wow that looks amazing. I can only imagine how much work it took to have that made in aluminum.
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2014, 01:41 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Wow that looks amazing. I can only imagine how much work it took to have that machined in aluminum.
X2

They look identical to the plastic ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Less than you think!

Yes, theres quite a few components but a large portion of them are identical which makes cutting and bending go really quick. This one was relatively pain free and pricing came in lower than I had expected. I got very close at first try considering I didn't even bother to mock this one up before prototyping.
Carl, how much is the grill? Didn't see it in the webpage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 24th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I don't have pricing yet. This is the first prototype of this design so some small adjustments will be made and I am simultaneously looking for an appropriate vendor to produce them for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
X2

They look identical to the plastic ones.

------ Follow up post added July 24th, 2014 01:42 PM ------

Carl, how much is the grill? Didn't see it in the webpage
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2014, 01:47 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
OK can I get the prototype when you're done then?
Old July 24th, 2014, 02:02 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Carl,

Are there any other color options in anodizing the aluminum grill? I'd like dark silver color along with the headlight surrounds as it would look great on a Arles blue truck.
Old July 24th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Hi Lawrence.

If I offer color options of any of my products it will most likely only be black or bare metal so that you can paint it with the color of your choice. Paint matching is a whole ball of wax I'd rather not get into. It is costly and time consuming to carry more than one color option of a product. I'd rather focus my time and energy designing and developing new ideas. I hope you understand. That said I do think dark silver would look good on an arles truck and I may be able to help you on your way as a one off. We can talk once the products are closer to being finalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post
Carl,

Are there any other color options in anodizing the aluminum grill? I'd like dark silver color along with the headlight surrounds as it would look great on a Arles blue truck.
Old July 24th, 2014, 02:41 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Quote:
Hi Lawrence.

If I offer color options of any of my products it will most likely only be black or bare metal so that you can paint it with the color of your choice. Paint matching is a whole ball of wax I'd rather not get into. It is costly and time consuming to carry more than one color option of a product. I'd rather focus my time and energy designing and developing new ideas. I hope you understand. That said I do think dark silver would look good on an arles truck and I may be able to help you on your way as a one off. We can talk once the products are closer to being finalized.
Carl,

Understand completely and thanks for the consideration.
Old July 24th, 2014, 02:54 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
LOL, like the reference. Okay, I'll go out on a limb. Tell me you didn't think Andrew + long coiffed hair + ST =

Old July 25th, 2014, 08:56 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Carl, these are amazing. Will be watching for the final versions. Thanks.
Old July 25th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks Randy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rankar View Post
Carl, these are amazing. Will be watching for the final versions. Thanks.
Old August 12th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Headlight Guard Update

Here's the latest. I've spun some additional options and I think I have come to a good place with the large headlight guard as well. I have added a cross bar between the headlight and marker lights in order to shorten the span that causes the flex. I have also modeled a grid version but I think this may be overkill so I'll keep that version in my back pocket for now. Although I am very fond of the original small guard I have made a newer version that is based on the geometry and design of the large one just to see what that would look like. I will probably prototype this one as well so I have a back up design should the original one have any issues.

I hope I'm not confusing you with all these iterations, its just part of my process, ensuring that the designs are the best they can possibly be. The little squares on the front of the mounts will not be visible as they will be plug welded and sanded down in this location. This particular feature creates an interlocking jig-saw puzzle assembly which further strengthens the products. I am currently also doing revisions to the rear guard and OEM grill. In terms of manufacturing I have decided to extend my scope to Asian manufacturers [insert sigh of disappointment here] and I am currently in the process of getting quotes from one factory. I am looking at each and every option in order to make the best possible product at a reasonable cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight Guard 020714.855.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	100614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight Guard 020714.854.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	100615  

Name:	Headlight Guard 020714.848.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	100616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight Guard 020714.852.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	100617  

Name:	Headlight Guard 020714.856.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	100618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight Guard 020714.853.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	100619  

-
-
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Looks Good! ROW only correct? on the lamps...
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Should fit NAS as well but I have yet to find a test subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Looks Good! ROW only correct? on the lamps...
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Should fit NAS as well but I have yet to find a test subject.
You had two at Expo to try out you drunk bastard!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Now that would have been a good time to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
You had two at Expo to try out you drunk bastard!
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Eh...just send me what you have and I'll test it...you all have a drinking problem so...lol!
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm 90% sure it'll fit just fine and its only the small one that needs verifying. Its slightly larger diameter but it sits lower and its slightly taller but there is a fair amount of clearance (impact zone) on the guards anyway. I may even have the old surround and NAS lamps in a box somewhere. Perhaps I should start there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
93-4 are the same as ROW. Its the 95-7 that have the awkward out out place rear light on the front. How much further does the big light stick out?

-Jeff
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Here is the large grill on a truck from Canada that has those same NAS lamps.
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
I vaguely remember that...
Old September 5th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

NAS Compatibility Update

I've had a chance to do some ball park testing. Looks like the small headlight guard will fit with the NAS size turn signal. It's tight but it looks like it will fit. I will confirm before production.

The large headlight guard may technically fit but I would advise against it. Because both guards are symmetrical in design, that is, one guard can be used on either side of the truck, it does not go all the way down to properly cover the NAS light. I do not plan to change this because I don't want to make a left hand version and a right hand version. The NAS bulb sticks out a fair bit more than the ROW bulb which means it would be much closer to the grill. This is not a good thing, especially in this location because you want a bit of distance (impact zone) between them. I don't want to make the entire guards stick 1/2" further because I don't want the guard to protrude too far out.

I also tested it with the Military bulbs as seen here which are of similar height as the NAS bulb. You can see from the side view how they are almost touching the grill so I would advise agains this as well. Another important thing to consider is that the military trucks don't have a headlight surround which means that there's an increased gap between the top and bottom edge of the small guard and the lamp is therefore more exposed. Sorry, no photo, I will take some next time and post up. So if you have a military truck I'd want you to be comfortable with this look before purchasing a set.

Since I can't make a design for each version and since I believe the design will be too compromised by trying to fit every possible scenario I have the following recommendations:

For a NAS Defender: small headlight guard.
For a ROW Defender: small and large headlight guard.
For a Military Defender: small headlight guard* (no surround means larger gap around headlight).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	<untitled> 1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	102212   Click image for larger version

Name:	<untitled> 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	102213  

Name:	<untitled> 3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	102214   Click image for larger version

Name:	<untitled> 4.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	102215  

Name:	<untitled> 5.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	102216   Click image for larger version

Name:	<untitled> 6.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	102217  

Name:	<untitled> 7.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	102218   Click image for larger version

Name:	<untitled> 9.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	102219  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
aluminum grill, custom, design, fabrication, headlight guard, military grill, nas, nas lamp guards, rear lamp guards, rear light guards, stage 1, wolf