Headlight Guard Design - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:03 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The large headlight guard looks and fits great with the air conditioning grill as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060041.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	95623   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060038.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	95624  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060042.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	95625  
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:28 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Put me down for a set of the small guards.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:34 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Will do. Thanks Paul. One more round of prototypes before the Oct 1st launch. I'll be in touch with everyone on the preorder list to firm up commitments and send out Paypal invoices as I get closer to launch.
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2014, 08:59 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

I saw Carl's guards first hand at the Expo. He had a set mounted to his truck and if you like them, get them. They are really nice and very well made. If you have ordered already - congratulations! Just putting it out there. If you are on the fence...
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:19 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks Carmen! It was great meeting you at the Expo.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:21 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I saw those as well. Very nice quality kit. Recommended! Carl, was great to meet you

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:21 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
2 sets large here.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:32 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It was great meeting you Mark!

Noted, JP. Thanks!
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:05 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Thanks Carmen! It was great meeting you at the Expo.
Hey Carl - was great to meet you too. You have a winner there... passion and skill. Great product. I cannot wait to see your grill! - and whatever else you put out there.
Good job and until next time I see you ...all the best to you.
Old May 24th, 2014, 01:20 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Hey Carl - was great to meet you too. You have a winner there... passion and skill. Great product. I cannot wait to see your rear guards - and whatever else you put out there.

Good job and until next time I see you ...all the best to you.
edit..
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have created a product development blog that can be accessed by those of you on the pre-order list. The idea is that you can not only follow the development progress of the product that you are pre ordering in more detail, you'll also be able to comment and you will get previews of future products. Link and Password will be PM'd to those on the list. I'll still post images of the final products here, once ready.
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:45 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Carl,

Still very interested in the grills, especially the Diamond shaped one. The Kahn style is good but the BIG KAHN logo is what is killing it.

BTW, are you going to do headlight surrounds in metal, NAS style? Again, the Kahn is good but with the logo and ROW cut outs, it's a no go for me.

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...e=0&eq=&key=it
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:10 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Thanks Jeff,

Those look like ROW specs but I guess you could easily do the cut outs for NAS with the horn vents as well. The plastic covers on my 95 NAS are starting to look old.

Is the Defender steel or aluminum. Any issues with differing metals opposing one another?
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Hey. I'm prototyping an aluminum version of the OEM grill first. The Diamond grill and surround will come later as I am still trying to figure how to bring the cost down on both. Due to all the detail the Diamond grill design will cost me $420 just to have it cut out! The stamped portion of the surround is a piece of cake but the collar around the headlight has turned out to be trickier. Sure you can machine it but it just ends up being very expensive. More to come on those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post
Carl, Still very interested in the grills, especially the Diamond shaped one. The Kahn style is good but the BIG KAHN logo is what is killing it. BTW, are you going to do headlight surrounds in metal, NAS style? Again, the Kahn is good but with the logo and ROW cut outs, it's a no go for me. http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...e=0&eq=&key=it
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Having two cutting patterns for ROW and NAS is not a big deal but I have a personal preference for ROW as I'm not big on the comically large turn signals.

They'll be aluminum so that they are lighter and to avoid rust issues. Will probably offer anodized and bare for those who want to paint them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post
Thanks Jeff, Those look like ROW specs but I guess you could easily do the cut outs for NAS with the horn vents as well. The plastic covers on my 95 NAS are starting to look old. Is the Defender steel or aluminum. Any issues with differing metals opposing one another?
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

just remember I have a standing order for at least one set of everything...
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks Bill! I certainly appreciate your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
just remember I have a standing order for at least one set of everything...
Old May 30th, 2014, 03:11 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Having two cutting patterns for ROW and NAS is not a big deal but I have a personal preference for ROW as I'm not big on the comically large turn signals.

They'll be aluminum so that they are lighter and to avoid rust issues. Will probably offer anodized and bare for those who want to paint them.
I like the ROW better like you, but I'd like to keep the original look of the NAS as mine is quite original. Also, I've ordered the additional 95mm Perei LED turn signals from MUD UK for the front which look great and would like to use them.

The size for the bottom hole would be small as a plinth would be mounted there to enclose the larger turn signal. I hope you would offer it painted or coated in the same color as your grill as I'd like to have consistent coloration.
Old May 30th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

No problem to do two versions once I figure how to make the collar in a more affordable fashion. Yep, all accessories will be type 3 (hard) anodized aluminum (to the extent that it makes sense) particularly all the guards and grills so that they match. No logos either, at least not on the front. Like I said I'm thinking bare so that you can paint in the color and finish of your choosing or one consistent black hard anodized finish.

The biggest challenge right now is making things at a reasonable cost. It's expensive to make high quality parts and its expensive to manufacture locally.
Old June 1st, 2014, 02:01 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post

There was a bare prototype on display at Expo. (directly above the windshield)

-Jeff
How did I miss seeing that? Carl - those are going to be wicked!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
aluminum grill, custom, design, fabrication, headlight guard, military grill, nas, nas lamp guards, rear lamp guards, rear light guards, stage 1, wolf