Glass to Blade fuses - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:13 PM
BostonAndy
Andrew
Moose :: 1985 110

Registry
Glass to Blade fuses

The time has come to replace the old glass fuses for something a bit more modern and easy to find replacements for. I thought I would toss this project write-up on the boards to give members some ideas for when they attempt this on their own. My main goals was to find fuse blocks that were as close to the original size and to limit the amount of cutting required.

Here are the fuse blocks I decided to go with. They are .5mm longer than the previous blocks.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
or
http://www.delcity.net/store/8!way-A...-Block/p_10823

Here is the only major cutting I required to fit the blocks. This was to allow the mounting tabs to fit. On second attempt, I would not have cut as much and just enough to slide the tabs in.

fuses by andrewblpratt, on Flickr

closer shot

test fit. 4 holes drilled in the bracket for mounting hardware.

I decided to use the provided dust covers and needed to space the blocks back 4mm. I used 6.35mm nylon spacers ground down to ~4mm (all I could find)

Roughly 1mm of clearance between the dust covers and the plastic trim cover.

Disassembled for a few coats of Rust-Oleum Hammered Gray.

Another showing the close clearance.

And finally assembled.

Once I get some free time this week I'll finish this project up and update the post.

Cheers,
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:00 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

There is a Genuine Parts fuse block and backing plate available, if anyone is looking to do this the factory way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:27 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Who has the backing plate?
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:35 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Brian Hall at Defenders Northwest can get the Genuine stuff in. George at RDS sells a "fuse box repair kit" that's just the fuse insert portion and the wire terminals that plug into the back but no backing plate.

Useful thread here:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=30201

/
/
/
/
Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:49 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I believe these are the needed part numbers. Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

PRC4826 - Fuse block
AMR3138 (or) PRC8072 - Bracket - Fuse box

/
/
/
/
Old March 10th, 2014, 05:52 PM
BostonAndy
Andrew

Registry
Finally got some decent weather over the weekend. I added new .250" quick connectors and everything seems to be working fine. I've got 4 extra bays that will house spare fuses till I add a reverse lamp and dome light.

Project total: $25.

defender by andrewblpratt, on Flickr

defender by andrewblpratt, on Flickr
Old March 10th, 2014, 06:20 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Looks factory, nice job.
Old April 18th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Nicely done

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 21st, 2015, 05:28 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Hey Andy,

How did the wire switchover part go? Did you have enough slack on the wires to clip the old terminals and crimp on the new stuff? I've had the parts for this conversion sitting on the shelf for a few months now, just waiting on the courage to tear into it. Everything works now and I don't want add electrical gremlins where they didn't exist before.

/
/
/
/
Old April 21st, 2015, 05:34 PM
Hache
Henry Lambert
1983 Ex-MOD 90 2.5N/A

Great write up.
I've been trying to get up the courage to do this too but, like Chris, don't want to screw up something that currently works.
Old April 21st, 2015, 06:20 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
I did mine a few weeks ago...as long as you have the proper wire stripper, crimper, and connectors and cut one wire, attach the connector and attach to the new terminal....took no time and went together without one issue...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150414_172210.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	118935   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150414_173325.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	118936  

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old April 21st, 2015, 07:03 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

So there's enough slack in the wires? Did it feel tight after you cut and re-crimped?

/
/
/
/
Old April 21st, 2015, 08:34 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
There was enough slack, but remember you are cutting right at the connector, stripping only 1/4" off and using new connectors that add about 1/4" so there was no issues at all...took me very little time...The only issue is the weird fuse ratings LR used so you have to go up or down a few amps ....I went down and have not had an issue...

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old April 21st, 2015, 11:30 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Perfect. Thanks.

/
/
/
/
Old April 23rd, 2015, 01:47 PM
BostonAndy
Andrew

Registry
Sorry for the late reply, but looks like you're sorted now. Been offline in Vegas working for a few weeks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
glass