Getto-rific front bumper build - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old September 16th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Getto-rific front bumper build

After SCARR this last spring I came to relize that I really needed some front recovery points. I felt that doing anything with the factory bumper would probably be a waste of time and that I needed to do something better stronger. With all the money I have put into her over the last year I really could not justify buying a really nice aftermarket bumper. Plus I would like to some day put a winch on her and I don't know what kind of winch I would get so I wanted to be able to add that on later.

So I did some looking around and grabbed ideas from what I saw on photos. I also looked at the bumper build that Jonathan (wolf fabrication) had done and decided that I could do this. First big problem that I had was that what I can weld is very limited. I can only tig weld well and most of the time it is small gun parts. The thickest steel I can weld is 1/4 in. Which is okay because that is what I wanted to use.

Anyway I went to the Fabrication shop next door and asked if they might have a piece of 4" square tubing that had 1/4 in steel. They took me out to thier scrap pile and there they had a piece. They cut me off a piece that was 70" long and I asked how much. NOTHING they said take it and have fun.

I brought them a 12 pack of Bud Lite as a thanks and they said hey if you want lay is out and we can cut it with the plasma and then you can put the bends into it that you want. Then just tack it and we will weld it.

So I did that as you can see in the first two photos. I took it to them with another 12 pack and they said that they would just bend it and weld it all at once. They had it for a little over a week and last Friday I picked it up. It looked like you see in the third photo. I also brought them a case of Bud Lite this time.

During the week that they had it I made four limb raisers. Fourth photo is if the front two limb raisers. I made them out of 1/4 steel. Super Glued two pieces together and machined them at the same time so they are the same. I am going to weld these to my brush gaurd. The fifth photos is of all four limb raisers done. the two with the smaller radius are going to be welded to the SD rack that I have on her.

The last photo is of the bumper, limb raisers and three handles that I plan on using to hold down my Hi-lift jack that I am going to mount on the top of the brush gaurd.

They forgot to weld tabs on the bumper so Monday I took it back and they did that and brought it to me the next day. It almost fits I have a little grinding to do on one side and it will slide on.

Here's what I have left to do:
1. Make three points for the jack to rest on and weld them to brush gaurd
2. weld on limb raisers
3. drill holes for mounting
4. Weld brush gaurd to bumper (not sure on this one) More Beer if so.
5. Sand Blast.
6. paint
7. make limb raisers

So far I have two cases of beer and my time into this bumper. I don't think that is a bad price at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0683.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	31155   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0684.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	31156  

Name:	DSCN0694.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	31157   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0689.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	31158  

Name:	DSCN0693.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	31159   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0695.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	31160  

Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2010, 08:12 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Looks great. Sounds like you have some nice neighbors!

What does that weigh? 1/4" is pretty thick!
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
digging those handles. My highlift has those damn wingnuts that when the time comes require pliers.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post

I am not sure what it weighs but it is heavy. I have been concerened that it will be too heavy but it seems okay. I would guess 35 pounds. But just a guess. I figure if it is to heavy I can cut the back off of it and lighten it up quite a bit.

------ Follow up post added September 17th, 2010 05:56 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
digging those handles. My highlift has those damn wingnuts that when the time comes require pliers.
Yes I wanted something that I could get ahold of in the mud and rain. I bought them from MSC for 8 buck a piece. They are machined steel. I think I am going to bore a hole all the way through one of them so that some of the bolt sticks out the top. That way I can drill it and but a lock through it.

Also ordered some Dixon-Bates 3.5 ton recovery points for the front from AB. They were on back order but suppose to ship today!!!!
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:45 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaker View Post
Also ordered some Dixon-Bates 3.5 ton recovery points for the front from AB. They were on back order but suppose to ship today!!!!
And they are packed and shipping today
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old September 17th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaker View Post
Yes I wanted something that I could get ahold of in the mud and rain. I bought them from MSC for 8 buck a piece. They are machined steel. I think I am going to bore a hole all the way through one of them so that some of the bolt sticks out the top. That way I can drill it and but a lock through it
I went looking and found them http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=93894304

Like to get a pair and tap them to match the high lift mounts-hate the wing nuts and exposed bolt ends. They seem like an easy way for some one or a dog to get hurt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	highliftmounts.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	31202  

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 17th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Xyst
Andrew
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
I went looking and found them http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=93894304

Like to get a pair and tap them to match the high lift mounts-hate the wing nuts and exposed bolt ends. They seem like an easy way for some one or a dog to get hurt.
Poking around on MSC, I noticed they have them available in aluminum as well. Just in case you're interested of course!
Old September 17th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Doug the ones you posted are blanks. Even thought the picture showes threads. That works if you want to tap them yourself. The ones I got were already taped at 1/2 x 13. A common thread. Same price either way.
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post

I Just went and weighed the bumper. It weighs 55 pounds.

What does everyone think, is this too heavy? I could cut the back out and loose a little weight? Maybe 10 pounds.
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Worked this weekend and got a fair amount done althougth not as much as I had hoped.

First picture is an action shot of the threads being cut for one of the Hi-Lift mounts that are going to go on the top of the brush bar. The handels that I bought will screw down on these and hold the jack.

Second photo is all three of the Hi-Lift mounts threaded and countoured, and the two pieces of 1.25 tubing that I countoured. The tubing is going to go on the ends of the brush gaurd and contect the bush gaurd to the bumper. I am welding the brush gaurd to the bumper.

Next two photos are of the mock up. First with just the bumper making sure the holes I drilled were in the right spot. The second is with the bumper and brush gaurd in place.

I now need to get all the paint off of the brush gaurd so that I can start to weld the attachements for the Hi-Lift and the limb raisers to it. Also the corner tubes that are in the second picture need to be welded and then the whole thing needs to be welded to the bumper. The brush gaurd is for a 94. But, it is what I have, so not big deal. It is a little bent but I have straightened it out.

That is the progress for now. I need to get this thing done as it is getting in the way of my getting gun work done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0704.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	31274   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0705.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	31275  

Name:	DSCN0706.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	31276   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0709.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	31277  

Old September 20th, 2010, 09:03 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I wouldn't worry about the weight myself. But you can always remove material from the back later if you decide it's too heavy.
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:23 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Well, getting that paint off of the brush gaurd sucks. Tried sanding, grinding and burning. Got a sand blaster today but all the sand I bought was wet so I now have sand all over my garage floor trying to dry it. I hope that this works. If not for this problem I would have the darn thing welded together by now.
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Well I got to work on my bumper today. I have had a heck of a time with that vinyl paint. I found out the seceret. Heat it up just enough to get a small puddy knife under the paint then heat the knife and paint a little, just enough to soften the paint and make a seam and the paint will peel off. My problem areas are the spots where I tried to burn it off that still needs to be cleaned up. What a mess.

I just cleaned the areas that needed to be welded together and got to work. So I still have a little to clean up before painting. Biggest bummer is that it rained on my freshely cleand spots there is a little rust that I need to get cleaned up before painting, which is no bit deal since I still have some paint to get off. I just went in and tacked everything in its place. My little TIG welder is really pushing it to weld 1/4 in steel so I just tacked everything in place and am going to take it next door on Monday and have them weld it with their MIG welder. More beer.

The first picture is of the bumper with the Hi-lift on it.

Second picture is of the limb riser tab

Third is the padon the brush gaurd

Fourth is the tubing I put at the end of the bumper to help stablize the brush gaurd

Fifth and the sixth is of the mounts for the jack

Seventh with out the jack

Last photo is of the jack mounts. These are going on the side of the frame and will bolt on through the side through the same holes that the steering gaurd is attached. I am going to have the bottome cut out so that it matches the frame and does not hang lower.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0713.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	31522   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0714.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	31523  

Name:	DSCN0715.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	31524   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0717.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	31525  

Name:	DSCN0716.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	31526   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0718.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	31527  

Name:	DSCN0719.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	31528   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0720.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	31529  

Old September 26th, 2010, 09:29 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I really like the design... Any reason not to include a winch tray?

Old September 26th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
I did not put a winch tray on it because I don't have a winch. I dont' know what winch or how I am going to have it mounted. I am thinking about getting one that goes into a reciever hitch but not sure. That is one of the reasons that I am just painting it so that when ever I decide what to do about a winch it will be no big deal to pull it off and add one. A winch is further down the wish list. Rock sliders are next. Winch, lift, and lockers are all after those. Then???????
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Looks good! I'm glad to see some DIY fabrication work.

Semper Fi!
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Looks good! I'm glad to see some DIY fabrication work.

Thanks, in more ways than one, as I took some of your ideas and made them my own.
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Primed

Well after several hours of sandblasting this afternoon I got it primed right at dusk. Paint tomorrow. And yes I painted the tree.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3216.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	31859  
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:04 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I banged up my stock bumper at MAR so I might borrow some of your Ideas... I can't wait to see it mounted.. The shop next to my work has some welders that work for beer as well. I might do the tack welding myself...
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:58 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I really like the bumper design. Can you take a few pics of the back side (where it mounts to the truck). I am going to build one my self as well. I will probably have a buddy of mine laser out the limb risers for me. I have the opportunity to get a brush guard cheap. I just need to take the powder coating off......

My neighbors also work for beer. They like corona's..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
bumper, front bumper