Getto-rific front bumper build - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old October 8th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Well it is painted, and on the 90. I think it looks pretty good and am happy with it. Got it mounted last night. I am not completly done. I still have to weld the limb riser tabs to the roof rack and I want to put some 1/16 in wire rope on the handles and attach them to the bumper somehow so that when you unscrew them they don't drop off into the mud.

Thomas, I attached the bumper the same way your factory bumber is attached, but I added a piece of angle iron to the underside. (last photo) It bolts through the whole where the factory tie down loops were bolted. It is 3/8 of an inch from the frame to get around those little bends at the front. Made a washer to fit inbetween the gap. If you look at the first picture in this thread you will see the bumper with what looks to be a white H drawn on it. I was organally going to cut it there and then bend the tabs up. My welder buddy said bad idea and instead we cut a square out and then welded tabs top and bottom. (Second to last photos this post.) Hope that helps any other questions feel free to ask.

Dimentions:
67" long

From the center line the bottom bend starts at 17 1/2" and goes up to the mid point at the end of the bumper or 2" from the top.

The rearward bend starts at 23 1/2" and goes to the mid point at the end or 2" from the back.

Remember if you are going to bend you need to use a piece of steel that is longer than the finish length. I started with a piece that was 71" inches.

The tabs stick out 1.5 inches from the back of the bumper.

Things to remember, a place to hang a licence plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3225.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	32004   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3227.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	32005  

Name:	100_3228.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	32006   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3229.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	32007  

Name:	100_3230.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	32008  
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2011, 03:19 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Limb Raisers

Got the limb raisers built this week. Made them out of 3/16 stainless steel cable and either stainless or galvinized hardware parts, what ever I could find at Lowes. Everything is rated around 800 pounds.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3234.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	34418   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3235.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	34419  

Name:	100_3236.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	34420  
Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:23 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Just one thing...with the Hi Lift mounted the way you have it, will it not snag on stuff that you hope to clear with the cables? This is just me, but I always think it best to stash the Hi Lift inside, mounted to the tub. Neat, clean, accessible.
Also, you may wish to look into some Suncor swageless end fittings for the riser cable. Gets rid of that hardware store you got going there.
http://www.bosunsupplies.com/images/0762-0.jpg

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Just one thing...with the Hi Lift mounted the way you have it, will it not snag on stuff that you hope to clear with the cables? This is just me, but I always think it best to stash the Hi Lift inside, mounted to the tub. Neat, clean, accessible.
Also, you may wish to look into some Suncor swageless end fittings for the riser cable. Gets rid of that hardware store you got going there.
The owner of Bosuns lives right down the road here in Arnold.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Your right those fittings would of been nice and cleaner. Wish I had seen them before hand. But I think I will live with these for a while since they are paid for.

As for the Hi Lift. I think it will be alright. I suppose it may snag once in a while but putting it on the inside won't work as that is where my three kids and wife ride.

Quote:
Old January 7th, 2011, 02:54 PM
JBinAlabama
john
Series 2A ..more parts on the way

Well DONE!

L00ks great!
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:36 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Quote:
Bill- I like those fittings; I have the hardware store going on in the front of my truck too and would like to streamline it. You wouldn't happen to have any pics of that fitting attached to cable being used as limb risers, would you? I'm having a tough time picturing how it would all go together.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:05 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygoss View Post
Bill- I like those fittings; I have the hardware store going on in the front of my truck too and would like to streamline it. You wouldn't happen to have any pics of that fitting attached to cable being used as limb risers, would you? I'm having a tough time picturing how it would all go together.
Jay, you have to have an adjuster of some kind on one end. The other end is a jaw or ring or pelican hook or whatever you want. The cable is cut to length and you just stuff it in the fitting and tighten. They're expensive, but will be the last ones you ever buy.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:23 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

I know this is an old thread, but I just have to say -- it's amazing what you got built for Bud Light. I would have expected to at least pay IPA for that much work, if not some single malt.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old May 30th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Funny you should bring this up. For a 12 pack last week I got all the steel I need to make a new rear bumper like the one that PMD and RON built. Thread is here. http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=12979 My factory rear bumper is rusted really bad and needs to be replaced. They also said we could get a set of sliders made along with a new rear bumper for my sons disco.
Old June 8th, 2011, 03:48 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

I may have to drive through Texas on the way back to Oregon, and bring along a few cases of Yuengling...
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
bumper, front bumper