Gas tank guard cover problem... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old April 27th, 2008, 04:00 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Unhappy Gas tank guard cover problem...

Okay here it is,

I have been sanding and rust proofing the D90 & worked my way to the rear end, I started to unbolt the sway bar bushing and broke 3 bolts doing this,....not fun so far. So I start to unbolt the the gas tank cover and find the gas tank starting to shift, I stopped with just (1) bolt still in place and I'm kinda afraid to keep going if the gas tank is gonna drop if I remove the cover.

Is this how the gas tank is held in place (by the cover plate only)or are there any straps which secure the gas tank or worse mabey what ever holds the gas tank rotted thru?

Any suggestions or ideas would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2008, 05:25 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
The cover/skid holds in in place. You can get awesome thick aluminum aftermarket ones. Sadly I can't recall the make of mine but it's great. I am sure you'll find out what's available here by searching the forums.

charles
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Before you tackle this further, you might want to wait until you're low on fuel...it will make the job easier. Maybe someone can suggest what to use to hold the tank in place while you remove the gas tank skid plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Low fuel is definitely the key. I would siphon the gas to make the job much easier.

Check this thread out:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...+plate+removal

I have the tank guard from Rock Ware, bought through Expedition Exchange, but I hear there may be a back order on those now. I know ECR has them (I think they do anyway) and Rovers North does.

I think most guys will recommend the Rock Ware plate. Draken Offroad has the Equipe one as well that is pretty nice, in my opinion.
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:31 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Yep!!

I'm gonna start to siphon the gas out then, I'm thinking about placing some straps in place like the kind for a truck bed to hold down cargo and wrap the gas tank in place.

I will check out Draken/Rock Ware/Rovers North and see which I like best.

Thanks guys.
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:14 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Sorry I was a bit brief there. I had started to respond and then was getting yelled at to leave the house.

Yes, do siphon some gas (or put a few bolts back in and run it till close to empty).

A ratchet strap worked fine for me.

The skid I have is by slickRock and I love it. I am not sure they are still available though.

http://www.slickrockfabrication.com/...p?prod=D90skid

Oh, and if you need to drill/tap some threads, they are 10mm 1.5 thread

hth
charles
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

The skid plate by slickrock is not available, very nice looking.

So I went ahead and ordered the unit from "Rovers North", yeah I found a good way to give back some of the "Tax refund by the Bush administration" just my way of stimulating the economy.

I just hope it gets here before my wife gets home and finds out, that women puts fear thru my body...hey maybe I will soften the blow by getting her a new vacume cleaner...I surprise myself sometimes....priceless.

Thanks for the tread sizes I will need to start on this part to get everything ready before it arrives.
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:46 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If you're not against dishonesty, just tell her you had the plate galvanized.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 28th, 2008, 02:53 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I just changed mine to a Slick Rock one I bought off Ebay a few months back... I used two pry bars one in each side to prop up the gas tank, then removed the 4 bolts and put the new one on.

Scott

Old April 28th, 2008, 09:28 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaD90
I just hope it gets here before my wife gets home and finds out, that women puts fear thru my body...hey maybe I will soften the blow by getting her a new vacume cleaner...I surprise myself sometimes....priceless.
I think your best bet is to have her come home to find you driving that vacuum cleaner around the house!

charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
cover, gas, gas tank