Front Runner Shelf Conversion for D90 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old May 27th, 2016, 11:24 PM
cascade90
Mason Worley
'95/NAS D90 SW #59/500

Just one more thought on this. Instead of aluminum of any sort. How about 1" wide strap? This could be woven and spaced like cargo netting. Riveted at the ends and still very strong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2016, 09:38 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Id guess that strap is heavier than aluminum.
Old May 28th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Looks great mate....I like the idea of aluminum with thick rubber matting. only observation - once welded how do you get it in the vehicle and positioned? Just looking at it it seems a little too big to get it in?
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

At that point you may as well go with expanded aluminum mesh and reinforce it with cross bars. Perhaps use airline style tracks as reinforcements?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade90 View Post
Just one more thought on this. Instead of aluminum of any sort. How about 1" wide strap? This could be woven and spaced like cargo netting. Riveted at the ends and still very strong.
Old May 28th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks! So far so good. Yes, I'll probably have some rubber matting over the aluminum. I plan to put my alu-boxes up there so the ability to strap them down and have rubber mat underneath would be good. I intentionally test fitted the L-angles before welding them together to make sure that the bump on the rear door would clear the shelf and to make sure I could fit it into the vehicle once welded. They shelf should fit through the gullwing window at an angle once welded but its very tight. Same way I got the shortened FR rack in there (see earlier photos).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Looks great mate....I like the idea of aluminum with thick rubber matting. only observation - once welded how do you get it in the vehicle and positioned? Just looking at it it seems a little too big to get it in?
Old May 28th, 2016, 12:04 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Starboard is pretty resistant to everything, needs a bit of support but it's hardy.
Old May 30th, 2016, 12:02 AM
SARTech
P. Barber
1989/Defender 90

Registry
Did you install the side compartment hatches in place of the rear side windows? If so do you have the information and source of supply for them?
Thanks.
Old May 30th, 2016, 12:12 AM
SARTech
P. Barber
1989/Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Front Runner gullwings.

-Jeff
Thanks very much.
Old May 30th, 2016, 12:15 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARTech View Post
If so do you have the information and source of supply for them?
Thanks.
Defenders Northwest
Old May 30th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Fridge Size Opinions

I've mocked up the rear cargo system layout a little bit more to take into account the specific items I plan to carry (The jerry cans will most likely be water). I've come to realize that the MT60 Engel fridge that I ordered is fricken uuuuge. Particularly when fitted in to the D90 tub. The top left shows the MT60 fridge. The top right show the much smaller MT45 fridge. It makes me wonder if I should have ordered a smaller fridge?

The top shelf fits 4 x 73L Alu-boxes quite nicely. There is some room behind the fridge and cans as well as on top of the wheel wells as well. I'm also debating if I should hinge the sides of the top shelf so that I could access the wheel wells from the gullwing doors? The shelf itself will most likely be bent aluminum with Airline style L-tracks as reinforcement. I still need to work out the cargo slide design. I was going to make just one large slide but I am now starting to like the 60/40 approach. I think the fridge plus cans would too heavy for one slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cargo Iso.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	150541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cargo Iso 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	150542  

Name:	Cargo Iso 3.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	150543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cargo Rear.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	150544  

Name:	Cargo Top.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	150545  
Old July 9th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I picked up Mason's Front Runner Water Tank. I was planning on installing it between the dog guard and where the shelf is going to be but there isn't enough room. I like the dog guard a lot but I'm considering removing it to make more room. The water tank will cover the bottom part (to the top of the seat rests) so perhaps I can find or fabricate another solution for the top half that attaches to the cage. That prevents me from having to make the shelf any smaller than it already is plus I loose some weight. Since the bottom is covered with tank, the dog guard is a little redundant. Any thoughts on this?

The problem with the tank is that it does not appear to be compatible with the mats so I may have to trim the mats to fit I will ask FR about this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-491840411.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	509.2 KB
ID:	153438   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1505509635.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	481.9 KB
ID:	153439  

Old July 9th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I had an idea. I can fab an upper guard that mounts to the shelf lip (toward where the water tank will be).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2080201593.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	153440  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
90, conversion, d90