First time stranded... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old November 11th, 2013, 09:28 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
First time stranded...

My Defender finally left me sitting on the side of the road... Cranked it up this morning and took off down the road, I noticed it was shifting kinda rough, but I didn't think much about it... Stopped at the red light, and it wouldn't go into gear.

Luckily I was able to roll it into this banks parking lot... My fluid reservoir for the tranny is bone dry... I'm hoping it's just a fluid issue... One of the techs is headed out with fluid.

What's worse case on this?

This could be my calling to start my project of converting to an auto transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Do you have a 5 speed? Do you the mean clutch reserve was dry?
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:12 AM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Yeah, clutch reserve... My tech brought me some fluid... It looked dry, but only took like 1/2 oz of fluid. Cranked it up and it shifted just fine... Assuming because it warmed up a bit...

I'm clueless... I have noticed when I shift, it feels "metal"... It doesn't feel very "fluid"... If that description makes any sense... Maybe there's air in the lines...

------ Follow up post added November 11th, 2013 10:13 AM ------

And yes, 5 speed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Your going to be replacing the master or slave.....its going somewhere. In the mean time learn to shift without a clutch.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
If either the clutch master or slave cylinders are leaking, replace both and the hydraulic line.
Also if any fluid leaked onto the floor, clean it up ASAP. It will eat the paint in no time.
Use Castrol gtlma only!
Good luck!
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A clutch failure should not leave you stranded. You need to learn to start and drive without a clutch....

As everyone says above, replace all of the hydraulics and use OEM parts. It is not worse the trouble to go half assed.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 11th, 2013, 12:38 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Yeah, I can shift it without a clutch, the only problem was it wouldn't shift into gear at the time it happened... It was bad timing this morning... the windows were fogged up, the light turned green, I started rolling, and didn't think to shut it off and shift into first in the heat of the moment.
Old November 11th, 2013, 01:07 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I did this 2 weeks into series ownership that was a fun 20 mile ride. check for a leak somewhere in the clutch hydro system, mine was the flex hose.
Old November 11th, 2013, 02:25 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
this was happening to me a few weeks ago, sometimes it just wouldn't shift in or out of gear at stop signs etc. I would just turn the car off and pump the clutch a few times and it'd shift. I replaced the slave and master cylinders and all is good now.
Old November 11th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

Not trying to hijack your thread, but my lt95 box makes sounds while in neutral. Is that normal or should it be completely silent.
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:47 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
The techs are thinking it's my clutch master cylinder... well, the famous words were "we're going to start with the clutch master cylinder"... this definitely makes me want to yank an auto transmission out of one of our parts Discoveries...

None of our techs have ever done a 5-speed to auto switch, and I didn't have much time to discuss it with them. I'm curious to know what all is involved with the swap other than the shifter placement. I could really care less if it looks original.
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD90 View Post
The techs are thinking it's my clutch master cylinder... well, the famous words were "we're going to start with the clutch master cylinder"... this definitely makes me want to yank an auto transmission out of one of our parts Discoveries... None of our techs have ever done a 5-speed to auto switch, and I didn't have much time to discuss it with them. I'm curious to know what all is involved with the swap other than the shifter placement. I could really care less if it looks original.
Tell your techs to replace both master and slave and to set the free play right on the master. No need for a trans swap for a hydraulic system failure (which is normal at the age of your truck).
Old November 11th, 2013, 07:36 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
Both the slave and master cylinder are pretty cheap, especially compared to swapping in a transmission. Like I said, my transmission seemed like it was toast before the two new cylinders, after that it shifts very nicely. I bought the cylinders from Rovah Farm http://rovahfarm.com/defenderclutch.htm and had a local mechanic put them in while I was away. Its a cheap and quick fix. I was also told it makes more sense to do both at the same time because the older one will probably soon fail as well.
Old November 11th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You MUST replace both cylinders AND the flex hose.... Every single person that has tried to get away doing a part job has been bitten in the ass. Once one goes, the other two are close behind. And they must be OEM branded parts. The non-OEM ones have a very high failure rate. These are normal parts that have a limited life and need to be replaced.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 11th, 2013, 09:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
You MUST replace both cylinders AND the flex hose.... Every single person that has tried to get away doing a part job has been bitten in the ass. Once one goes, the other two are close behind. And they must be OEM branded parts. The non-OEM ones have a very high failure rate. These are normal parts that have a limited life and need to be replaced.
The hose seems excessive. Not saying it is a bad idea, but I don't think it is required.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects