Fiberglass hardtop for Christmas tree! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old November 29th, 2015, 09:20 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Fiberglass hardtop for Christmas tree!

I just reinstalled my NAS fiberglass hardtop yesterday for winter. Took me about 3 1/2 hours largely alone except for when my wife helped me put the long upper piece on last. Most of the time spent was on making sure that top piece was lined up correctly around where it screws into the windshield header and also around where the NAS roll cage goes from outside to inside the vehicle. That definitely took some massaging.

While I'm not looking forward to doing this again next year I think taking my time paid off. It is really well sealed with no drafts or wind noise. I used some 3M strip caulk around the windshield header corners and around the rubber grommets again where the roll cage comes inside.

Looks great and we were able to get our Christmas tree on it today now that the soft top is put away!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151129_123924.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	135897   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151129_124010.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	135898  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2015, 10:42 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
But does it leak? That's the real question.
Old November 29th, 2015, 10:58 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I never noticed it leaking in the rain but the few times I did take it through a brushless high pressure car wash it did near one alpine window and rear hatch where it meets the tailgate.

Then again it wouldn't be a Defender if it didn't leak!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2015, 03:41 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
I have stopped leaks on mine by running a bead of non-permanent silicone btwn the header bar and the hard top and also around the screws that attach the top to the header bar. Those cupped indentations on the top for the headerbar screws catch water and that is the main intrusion spot. Also closed cell foam tape btwn the different sections of the top.

The silicone I have used is designed to temporarily seal household windows for the winter.

I have been putting the fiberglass hardtop on for winters since about 2002 (but skipped a couple winters thru the years and will probably skip this winter as well - it is a bit time consuming if you do it solo)

I like the look of your top painted

D90 Yahoo Group member since 2001

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
fiber, fiberglass, glass, hardtop, top