Feeler for D90 cargo slide - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old November 1st, 2016, 10:48 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Feeler for D90 cargo slide

I am working on a design for a D90 cargo slide and since I'm planning to make one for myself I thought I'd see if anyone one else would be interested in one. Essentially it'll be a low profile platform that sits in the bottom of the tub and that will pull out with full extension. Load rating would be 500lbs and it would have locking latches. Let me know if you're interested. Suggestions and ideas welcome. I am working out a design in CAD right now so I don't have any pricing yet.
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2016, 12:47 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Carl,

I'd be interested...
Old November 1st, 2016, 12:59 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Nice. Once I have dialed in the 90 design I may also do a 110 version if the mods are only slight. Stay tuned for more updates.
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2016, 11:42 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm thinking something along these lines. 35" wide by 42" deep by 3" tall. I plan to use the Heavy Duty (500lbs) Accuride Industrial Sliders. The sliders come in 42" and 48" (48" would be too long).
A couple details still missing, like slots for straps, mounting holes for base, etc. Please note that the CAD shows a 36" slider but I intend to use a 42" which would go full length of the interior of the base.

Suggestions and comments welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cargo Slide Assembly 1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	161438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cargo Slide Assembly 2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	161439  

Name:	Cargo Slide Assembly 3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	161440  
Old November 3rd, 2016, 04:27 AM
Rocky
Chris B
72 + D1 drivetrain =?

Looks like it's set up for drop down tailgate. Us station wagon folk will watch jealously....sigh
This is so overdue! Liking a lot!
Old November 3rd, 2016, 06:40 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
lots of firms installing servers would have loads of those rails spare and gathering dust ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 3rd, 2016, 10:23 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Glad you like it!

I needed to pick up a slider for my new Engel Fridge which is how this all started. Why not make my own? At first I thought about having two sliders but there's not enough room so it became one large cargo slider. I don't want to skimp on the sliding hardware since its the most critical component of the whole design. The HD Accuride sliders are lock-in and and lock-out with full extension and two front latch releases. I'm getting quotes for those now and I will quote the rest of the design with my fabricator next week.

Any other desired features that you would like to see? I plan on doing slots on the lips for strap mounting. Perhaps holes for hooks (cargo netting) as well? I will check fit with a local station wagon eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Looks like it's set up for drop down tailgate. Us station wagon folk will watch jealously....sigh
This is so overdue! Liking a lot!
Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:09 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Suggest installing on at least the long sides (but may be great for all four sides) the cargo rail system that you can attach all sorts of stuff to? Hooks and diff types of tie downs and its adjustable.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:28 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Great idea. I was going to install some for myself but I am debating if I should sell it bare bones for you to do your own mods (rails, mats) or if I should come up with something. The cargo rails if installed across the bottom of the tray would also add rigidity and prevent contents from bouncing inside the tray. They're also not cheap so they will bump up the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
Suggest installing on at least the long sides (but may be great for all four sides) the cargo rail system that you can attach all sorts of stuff to? Hooks and diff types of tie downs and its adjustable.
Old November 6th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Some updated details. I added holes and slots for straps/cargo net hooks on the front and rear lip of the interior tray. MudUK has cargo nets that will fit perfectly. I have one so I can post pictures once mocked up. I also added mounting holes on the base and a lip at the rear for strength. I'm sending this out for fabrication quotes today and should have pricing end of the week hopefully. As you've probably seen with comparable products of this size, it won't be cheap. The Accuride Sliders are $260/pair (wholesale) so that should give you an idea. Once I have pricing I will post it up here and see if anyone else is interested in one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture 2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	161663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 3.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	161664  

Name:	Capture 5.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	161665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 1.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	161666  

Old November 6th, 2016, 02:10 PM
lightwriter
Carlos Ascencio
'84 One Ten

Registry
Great idea. I modified a very heavy duty "off the shelf" model to fit in my FJ60 - total back saver when working on the house. I was planning on making one for my 110 but would be interested in buying one in the interest of saving time. My idea to make one also started because of the Engel hardly a day goes by that it does not pop into my head.
Old November 18th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have a rough estimate. It's not final but thought I'd check if anyone is still interested after the initial sticker shock. I didn't expect it to be cheap. The sliders are a small fortune just themselves. For comparison, Front Runner sells a load bed cargo slide for $1200. Its bigger than my design but I aim to beat their quality. I bet they don't use Accuride sliders.

At this price point I may as well include tray insert (possibly with airline tracks) so that it is complete. I am revising the design this weekend and will post up new photos. I plan to make it out of aluminum and hard coat (type 3) anodize it for durability. It'll be roughly a third of the weight compared to steel a version. The cost will come in around $1000 - $1400 without shipping. I will make mine first as a prototype and see how it comes out. If anyone is still interested at that time I'll place an order for a batch.
Old November 19th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Here's a few minor updates to the design. I changed the base to make it lighter weight and more robust. I've also added inserts (either marine plywood or rubber mats). There are 4 Airline tracks in an asymmetrically grid to give you more of a variety of fastening options. The airline tracks are recessed so they won't interfere if you're not using them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture 4.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	167385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 5.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	167393  

Name:	Capture 7.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	167409  
Old April 13th, 2017, 07:17 AM
sad_story
andre
95' D90

Updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old April 14th, 2017, 12:54 AM
MCMLXIX
Rich
None

suggestion for a product to use as a base....

google " King StarBoard "
Old April 19th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Temporarily on hold. I'll get back to it towards the end of May as I'm in the process of changing vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_story View Post
Updates? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old April 19th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Interesting! Do you have experience with this material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMLXIX View Post
suggestion for a product to use as a base.... google " King StarBoard "
Old April 19th, 2017, 06:47 PM
MCMLXIX
Rich
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Interesting! Do you have experience with this material?
Sorry, no personal experience. I had planned to make some interior panels for the rear cargo area of a 72 Chevy Blazer convertible. Not to the point where I need them yet.
Old April 19th, 2017, 08:44 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
It's just processed HDPE, with no additional reinforcement. Same bulk properties of typical material, all isotropic. Very low yield modulus, very high elongation at break. Subject to creep, etc.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
90, d90, slide