Expedition camper - tribute to the Defender? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old January 13th, 2015, 01:20 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

I have a little different design (TEV-3) for a Tacoma that loses some of the premium features to work with the light payload of that truck. It's nice to see the 2016 Tacoma just got a refresh at the Detroit auto show. A TEV-3 could be awesome on a Tacoma ute. And you make good points about the F-150. I'm not a huge Ford fan but, when in Rome... You cannot argue with the sales and popularity of that truck. It's unreal how well those sell. I also see Land Rover is finally bringing diesels to the U.S. in the 2016 Range Rover. Following suit, fingers crossed, maybe a diesel Discovery or Defender might not be so far behind? One can dream... ------ Follow up post added January 13th, 2015 02:24 PM ------ It's fun to dream, if nothing else. ------ Follow up post added January 13th, 2015 02:27 PM ------ The problem I'm running into with the Tacoma and F-150 and RAM 1500 is payload. They can tow, but the pod relies on decent payload to not significantly mod the truck for off-road. I'm struggling to get much useful features in the pod with the Tacoma's limited payload. I don't want customers to have to mod their trucks too much (going to a flatbed is already a big sacrifice for many customers, I imagine).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2015, 01:40 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Check out Timbren, good way to add stability cheaply.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 13th, 2015, 02:01 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

Those look like a very simple option for customers who wouldn't want to significantly mod their suspension for the TEV-3. I'll keep that in mind. I am hoping to keep the design such that it does not require specific modified vehicles to make it possible. TEV is short for "Telos Expedition Vehicle". Telos is a philosophy from Greek (τέλο&sigmaf for "end" or "purpose" or "goal". The journey and the expedition goal are more important than just the sum of the things which get us there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TELOS View Post
I have a little different design (TEV-3) for a Tacoma that loses some of the premium features to work with the light payload of that truck. It's nice to see the 2016 Tacoma just got a refresh at the Detroit auto show. A TEV-3 could be awesome on a Tacoma ute. And you make good points about the F-150. I'm not a huge Ford fan but, when in Rome... You cannot argue with the sales and popularity of that truck. It's unreal how well those sell.

I also see Land Rover is finally bringing diesels to the U.S. in the 2016 Range Rover. Following suit, fingers crossed, maybe a diesel Discovery or Defender might not be so far behind? One can dream...

------ Follow up post added January 13th, 2015 02:24 PM ------

I also have an engineer on my team who is convinced we can use the diesel turbine system on the pod to modify the Cummins to get 2-3 MPG improvement enroute. For cost reasons, I don't see a way to make that feasible and I'm not in a big hurry to try to mess with a Cummins. But, nonetheless, the pod and truck and onboard heating and cooking systems all draw from the same diesel tanks so a turbine-electric-diesel option isn't completely out of the question for "art of the possible" future concepts. It's fun to dream, if nothing else.

------ Follow up post added January 13th, 2015 02:27 PM ------

The problem I'm running into with the Tacoma and F-150 and RAM 1500 is payload. They can tow, but the pod relies on decent payload to not significantly mod the truck for off-road. I'm struggling to get much useful features in the pod with the Tacoma's limited payload. I don't want customers to have to mod their trucks too much (going to a flatbed is already a big sacrifice for many customers, I imagine).
I'm not a pickup afficienado. Never owned one. I just know Tacoma's are all the rage in the fast growing US overland market. And I through F150 out there as a common pickup platform. most people aren't going to buy a new vehicle just for overlanding. they want to use what they have and can easily service here. The cross borders overlanders are that small niche I was referring to, and that's a bespoke group anyway.

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding a tying your pod into a turbine, but it sounds to me like having the ability to drop your pod in a campsite or at home, and also having it tied into the truck diesel tank are not complimentary designs. If I had a pod I could put the legs down and leave in camp, I'd want it to have a webasto on board for hot water and heat, that runs off it's own batteries and fuel tank. 2-5 gal would be plenty. And i wouldn't want any complicated fuel tank quick disconnects. drop and go.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 13th, 2015, 02:10 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about regarding a tying your pod into a turbine, but it sounds to me like having the ability to drop your pod in a campsite or at home, and also having it tied into the truck diesel tank are not complimentary designs. If I had a pod I could put the legs down and leave in camp, I'd want it to have a webasto on board for hot water and heat, that runs off it's own batteries and fuel tank. 2-5 gal would be plenty. And i wouldn't want any complicated fuel tank quick disconnects. drop and go.
Awesome thoughts on the fuel and disconnect systems - I appreciate the feedback! For one year as a part-time job in high school I was a lineman at an airport and spent a lot of time getting jet fuel into the aircraft on the line. They have a unique point system that is so much faster (both to connect/disconnect as well as flow rate) than automotive or even 100LL aviation gas piston aircraft. Literally plug and play on the underside of a wing. I wonder if a fuel system connection like that could provide the answer here. Slide the pod in, connections made to piggy-back off the truck's larger tanks. Slide the pod back out, connections close and it automatically switches to on-board systems.

------ Follow up post added January 13th, 2015 03:18 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about regarding a tying your pod into a turbine...
Long story, but the idea is essentially adding an additional turbine (think small turbine engine like on a small radio-controlled jet aircraft) under the hood which runs on diesel from the vehicle's tank. The turbine has an electrical shroud and can be used as an electric generator (physically shift the magnets into place to generate electricity) and can also be used to boost air through the engine's turbo routing, essentially making a turbocharged engine a dual-turbo when demanded. The end result: a single unit which can add torque and/or serve as an electric generator to charge batteries or power on-board electric systems as necessary. The efficiency of the turbine engine would charge batteries using much less fuel than a conventional camp gasoline generator, and it's not dead weight on a trip because it serves to boost the engine as needed as well. In theory, you could also give yourself a jumpstart if you ever found yourself with a dead battery and had some diesel in your tanks.
Old January 13th, 2015, 03:15 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

www.trayon.com (not to be confused with trayvon)

Old January 13th, 2015, 06:22 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
unless your magnets were on the turbine, that wouldn't work. you would be forced to put your coils on the turbine, which would be very difficult.

what you are suggesting would usually require a turboshaft and subsequent gear reduction. this is used in aircraft auxiliary power units (apus)
Old January 13th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
The overland community in general has a mindset of "simpler is better". It sounds like you are striving to make a more complicated mousetrap. battery bank with solar power, webasto hot water fed by an onboard dedicated tank, and it all is part of the module when you leave it in camp so everything still works. no reason to go farther than that or you'll turn people away.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects