Engine Driven Compressor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old February 25th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Engine Driven Compressor

Who here has done one on a 300? If so, which model compressor, and which belt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Bump for science.
Old February 26th, 2014, 12:27 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Sheki has. He sent me photos of his York install. I will post them when I get back to the office. First project after my frame and motor swap are done is to install a York. I plan on putting together a kit and selling them on here if I can get it together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Sheki has. He sent me photos of his York install. I will post them when I get back to the office. First project after my frame and motor swap are done is to install a York. I plan on putting together a kit and selling them on here if I can get it together.
Excellent, I'm in no rush. Let me know when you get the kit together and I'll grab one for my project.
Old February 26th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Zack, I've done it & used all standard parts including aircon pump,belt and tensioner, I tapped the aircon manifold pipe fittings to suit 1/2"bsp push fittings.

The reservoir is a 5ltr brake reservoir from a truck via Ebay and now lives under the rear floor attached to the crossmember the oil trap & regulator are on the reservoir, easy to access and out of the way in dead space, the push fittings & nylon pipe came from from the local pneumatic supplies.
it's controlled from the dash via a pressure switch that's also tapped to the manifold of the pump

sorry for the crap pics.
regards all
Gren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 086.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	90377   Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 089.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	90378  

Old February 26th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Wow, thanks Gren. That looks great. Is there any way to retain A/C with your setup?
Old February 26th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Zack sadly not as the air compressor used the aircon mounting position, to fit a separate compressor like a york compressor would have been to much of a faff.

Sadly aircon is not such a necessity for the 35mins of high summer here in wales and the multiple door gaps keep me cool in north Africa

regards
Gren
Old February 26th, 2014, 03:25 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

For what it's worth, the bracket that plan to build will be designed to support a York and replace the A/C compressor. I've never been an A/C user (even back when I lived in South Texas) and the York is a better on-board air compressor than the Sanden A/C compressor units usually seen in Land Rovers. It would be very difficult to have both. The Yorks and the Sandens are big and there's just not much room to work with. Yorks need a specific mounting angle, too.

/
/
/
/
Old February 26th, 2014, 04:46 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Hey Guys

I thought that some A/C pumps couldn't be used do to oiling .

I have thought about using the A/C unit from a RRC or Disco but thought it wasn't possible due to oiling.

Can anybody confirm.

Thanks Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old February 26th, 2014, 04:57 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
Hey Guys

I thought that some A/C pumps couldn't be used do to oiling .

I have thought about using the A/C unit from a RRC or Disco but thought it wasn't possible due to oiling.
The York has it's own oil reservoir for lubrication. The Sanden must be lubricated via the intake air with an inline oiler that puts a mist in the air. The York produces more volume and is more suitable to the typical OBA applications: big tire inflation, blowing out dust from the truck, running air tools, etc. The Yorks are rock-solid reliable. If you need one on the cheap, you can get one from most 1970s/80s Fords and Volvos at the junkyard. There are also rebuilds available on eBay and Kilby Enterprises sells kits for OBA (but no 300Tdi brackets).

/
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
compressor, engine