Drum, Hub & Drive Flange paint advice... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old September 25th, 2017, 09:50 AM
DCG
David
1984 110 CSW 3.5 V8 LHD

Drum, Hub & Drive Flange paint advice...

I'm restoring the drums, hubs, and drive flanges on my early 110. The hubs are raw metal and the flange is only partially painted (exposed surface). My questions are:

1) Should I paint the inside of the drum (minus the braking surface) to prevent rust?

2) Should I paint the whole hub for rust prevention (minus the internal bearing/race area)?

3) Should I paint the exposed flange surface before assembling or after by masking off the hub cap, etc?

I plan on sticking with my steelies... so the hubs will be exposed. Ideally, I'm interested in ease of maintenance and rust prevention. I don't want to paint something that will cause issues later.

Thanks everyone...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Yes to all, none of this will hurt your vehicle. Will also make it look really nice!

I like using engine enamel on surfaces like this.

When I prepped all my suspension components for painting I used these steps.

Strip all old paint and Rust with a wire wheel on an angle grinder
Coat the entire part in prep and etch or ospho
Rinse off prep and etch and ospho
Completely dry part
Self etching primer
Engine enamel

For the axle tubes I added POR 15 and removed the self etching primer.

All the components look like new even after 2 years in New York and one year here in California

Edit : just noticed that you said inside of the drum. You can do all this if you want but frankly it's not going to matter for that part. It'll probably rust anyway and the assembly tolerances are so large on the rear brakes that if you back the adjusters off fully you can always Hammer off the drums.
Old September 26th, 2017, 12:13 PM
DCG
David
1984 110 CSW 3.5 V8 LHD

Thanks! This confirms what I was thinking. I saw your "Edit"... if the paints starts flaking inside the drum, I'm not sure I'd want particulate floating around in there. Freshly painted flanges with new bolts sounds like a beautiful thing.

Any recommendations from other members?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
advice, paint