Depurification of an NAS 110 - The overland build - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old October 25th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Depurification of an NAS 110 - The overland build

After of years of working on this, I'm going to use this thread to document all the random overland modifications I've been adding over time. I'll start with current projects and then catch up the past ones eventually.

The Gull Wing Pantry
After Expo East, I became re-inspired to replace my rear sliding window with a Front Runner gullwing access hatch, and build out a pantry box. This mod is very popular in Africa and makes great use of unclaimed space, as well as really helping to expedite camp setup. My intent is to be able to replace 2-3 wolf boxes of dining and cooking equipment, and free up quite a bit of my sliding drawers for other things. Installing on the left side of the vehicle, the gull wing hatch will open just above my side mounted table for cooking prep/bar counter and will be under my Foxwing awning. I'm going to make sure that my coffee kit and mini-bar are setup in the pantry box to for easy deployment

I don't have the gull wing from Frontrunner yet, so I'm starting with the box. I had a lot of 3/4" and 1/2" ply from previous projects, so cost is very minimal for this box. after making a cardboard side template to get the contours correct, it's gone together rather quickly. I'm going to give it a marine varnish coat then cover the box in grey trunk lining carpet. The inside of the box will have a hinged full length access door to get to the top shelf for items, and easy installation and removal. The mounting is tied in to the lower trim 10mm bolts (x4) and I already had placed 3x M10 rivnuts in the upper roof frame so tied into those as well.

I already built side boxes over the wheel wells that hold quite a bit of kit, so this pantry box design has an angled bottom, so that the well box lids can still open. Last year I also created a mod so that my 60 bench seat can be installed as a 3rd row, so when that's in, passengers can still use the well boxes as an arm rest with the pantry in place.

Once that's done, I'll be ordering some 1" thick sheets of polyeurethane foam off ebay to create the forms on the lower portion to hold dishes, cutlery, cups and such. I need to get a hot knife to cut them out to from harbor freight.

This is going to be an awesome mod. I'm getting excited.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2014, 01:49 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Will the gull wing door open with the NAS cage in the way? From what I have seen, the B pillar of the exo-cage slightly covers the leading edge of the sliding window.

I'll be watching your mods. I want to outfit my 110 build as more of an overlander.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old October 26th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
wolf, on mine there appears to be sufficient clearance between outer window frame and the vertical cage bar. that concern was one reason why I waited so long, but I didn't do the research. If there is by chance any minor interference, the gullwing hatch will get trimmed. this project is a go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have been planning on a similar mod myself. Why didn't you extent the shelf to cover the entire window? There seems to be a gap in the front portion of the window. The cage would be a good spot to mount a fold down table.
Old November 16th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Well, got the box to the 95% complete today, and loaded it full up with kit to test for load plan and rattles that will need to be addressed. Just need to the gull wing hatch now (in the spring I hope..sheech their expensive).

Since the original post, been working a little every day and thinking about the final design and integration into the overall plan. Have to say, I really am pleased with how it turned out.

Sealed the wood and covered with trunk carpet. Also added a full length hatch door on the inside to aid in mounting/unmounting (as it's semi-permanent and removable in 5 minutes).

I really struggled with exactly how I was going to store all my dining kit and bar in the sloped lower portion without it being a total mess. Having poured through dozens of S. African and Oz pics of gull wing storage boxes, as well as caravan trailers and yachts to see how things are stored, I had decided on ordering up a bunch of 1" foam squares, getting a hot knife, and cutting out patterns for everything like my Bundu box dining kit does it. But with no foam yet in hand, at some point a few days ago I had an epiphany: A tipping box. So off to Lowes I went, and just so happen their hobby cut wood was the perfect dimensions 1/4"x 4" strips of red pine. BTW, for those doing mod's involving wood, the Dremel Saw-Max is the best tool since the cotton gin. It made this entire project too easy to do.

So off I went cutting and gluing, and since it's my bar as well, I threw on some nice chestnut stain. I partitioned it to fit everything: 3xwine bottles/Ron Zacapa, 6xdinner dishes, 6x salad dishes, 6x bowls, 6x flatware place settings, 1xled lantern.

I installed the box today after all the stain and sealer had dried with pivot bolt and spacers on the rear side so when the box tips forward it goes a little past the frame and is proud of the body, tipped forward to make access easier. I added a footmans loop to secure the box tipped towards the inside for storage, that will help with rattling and I'll probably add more elastic chord as required to quiet everything for off road/corrugated roads. I also have my tableclothes stored behind the box, and the box rests on them when stowed.

Also added a full length shelf for cups/coveted mugs/ humidor, etc.

As has happened so many times in my modification, measurements of later things unplanned at the time just happened to work out. In this case, the remaining space above the box inside just happened to be perfect for my previously "hard to find space for" PETT toilet. Footmans loop and strap=good to go.

On the shelf, in the back and the front, I added elastic chord with a pinch clamp so I can take up the slack for all the cups and stuff when storing.

------ Follow up post added November 16th, 2014 04:50 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Why didn't you extent the shelf to cover the entire window? There seems to be a gap in the front portion of the window.
2 reasons. First, the frontrunner and most other gullwings need a space for the strut. 2nd, that is the point where the seatback clears the box. any farther forward is problematic. I installed headrests on my bench as well. You can see the strut in this Frontrunner pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
The cage would be a good spot to mount a fold down table.
As those who have seen my truck in camp setup knows, I have had a bar counter under that window for years. This setup is complementary to it.

Old November 16th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Got it. I figured it'd be something like that.

Looks great!
Old November 16th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
BTW, here is a pic of my wheel well box under the window box, with the rear compartment lid open. this is why I went with a sloped design vs the full length box that goes all the way down to the fender.

Old November 16th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
My compliments to the "chef" very well done and thought out. I look forward to seeing it in action!
Old November 16th, 2014, 07:32 PM
fireball
Ben
Shopping!

I can't tell from the photos but do you have the fridge on a slide? If so you can build a box around it for a nice storage space above the fridge.

That under window bar-countertop is really slick!
Old November 16th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
I can't tell from the photos but do you have the fridge on a slide? If so you can build a box around it for a nice storage space above the fridge.

That under window bar-countertop is really slick!
Thanks. A piece of advise to anyone doing any kind of overlanding mods. Get your suspension to it's final end state first to include tires. All my cooking, shelving and tables setups that are part of my rig were measured to work with standardized heights, or as close as I can get to it. you don't want to create an add on table like mine, then go put in a lift and bigger tires, and then find out you just moved the table up to impracticable height that requires a stool to use.

After Expo East, I started to make some changes based on ideas gathered. Everything I do is designed with one goal in mind: to get setup in camp as quickly as possible with as little effort and fuss as possible. I started this journey with about 1 hour needed to setup my campsite while my wife keeps the kids occupied. Now I"m down to about 20 minutes, and working towards to 10-15 with even less effort. I want to be able to have a scotch and cigar in 3 minutes, and be able to start cooking in 10 minutes from engine shutdown. You ever notice that people always seem to plan on arrivals around a meal time?

so that said, I did make a fridge slide that was in between the middle row seats, but I just deconstructed that and relocated the fridge to the back based on seasoned pragmatism regarding campsite ergonomics. so for now, I have no slide. I intend to put a stove on a slide next to the fridge, which will pull out along the full length of the safari door using the door as the back splash. that's next up.

I still have a requirement to seat 7 when needed in my daily driver configuration, so everything is modular, and the window box is compatible with the 3rd row bench.

Old December 29th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quick update. Thanks to Zack at RN, I've fitted my Frontrunner gull wing hatch. It's a perfect fit on an NAS 110, clears the exo cage with no issues. I did have a few mods I need to make on my window box due to the rear strut. Looks great. Will post pics soon when I get my POS Samsung phone back from repair.

Old December 29th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Great! Looking forward to seeing the result as I just placed an order for a set of gull wings yesterday.
Old December 29th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
BTW, I would never consider trying to make my own gull wing hatch. the quality of the fit and hardware cost alone would probably be no cost savings at all when all is said and done. I did do research on different brand gull wings for Defenders, and the Oz and SA forums all identify the Front Runner as the top choice, for anyway considering these.

Old December 29th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Did you get steel or aluminum?
Old December 29th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
pretty sure it's aluminum. It's all black but it would have been heavier if it was steel. it's robust though. very thick aluminum stock.

FYI. The Frontrunner included instructions referr to having to trim the expose hole the window came out of after test fitting the frame. I didn't have to do that at all. perfect fit.

Old December 31st, 2014, 03:27 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Got my phone back, and here's the photo of the exterior. The galley box flips forward once the gull wing is open for easy of access. there is an upper shelf that has lexan glasses, mugs, tumblers and my humidor. this is a full dinner place setting for 6 in there. I picked up a battery operated LED light set which is velcroed to the gull wing, and nicely illuminates the pantry box and the shelf area (when installed). I have my table clothes and placemats thrown in there too. I'm going to add a few more things in time to take advantage of the space in there. might even through in a USB outlet to charge flashlights and phones when in camp. I'm quit pleased with it.

Old January 1st, 2015, 10:18 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
mark, it turned out nicely!
Old January 4th, 2015, 08:56 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
That is slick. I'm bummed I missed you at the Expo. Your 110 looks awesome.
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:08 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Just today, I was telling my brother about doing this with one of my side windows.

I like what you have here. But I gotta ask.... why did you leave the gap? On the vertical line on the forward end of the shelf, I would be totally OCD about that every day, seeing that through the window would bug me to no end. Is it because of the rear seat?

That said, I'm going to build this type of thing in mine as well. Good stuff.
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Just today, I was telling my brother about doing this with one of my side windows.

I like what you have here. But I gotta ask.... why did you leave the gap? On the vertical line on the forward end of the shelf, I would be totally OCD about that every day, seeing that through the window would bug me to no end. Is it because of the rear seat?

That said, I'm going to build this type of thing in mine as well. Good stuff.

Thanks. the gap issue was addressed earlier in this thread.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
110, nas, nas 110