Thought I would put up some photos and words to my head gasket project that turned into a head refresh. The engine was purchased from a shop down in Atlanta so I never recieved any info on its milage or service history. With that in mind and some blow by concerns I decided to replace the head gasket, replace a few old hoses, new fan clutch, remove 2lbs of RTV, and inspect every damn bolt. I found heavy carbon buildup about halfway up on push rod #8 which I believe is a known problem area on these engines (but I could be wrong). Found a few missing bolts/studs. I replaced all of the springs, retainers, gaskets, seals, studs, and most all of the nuts & bolts.
All 8 retainers were in need of replacing.
Tearing down the head
all organized. Definitely went overboard but a little OCD never hurt.
Nice and skimmed.
Rebuilt ready for action
after a 650mi trip up to Maine, no issues to report.