dash mounting the radio - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 15th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576
dash mounting the radio

So, you get the dash mount plastic kit and then...

Hook ups are antenna, power, speakers. Anything else?

What is the best way to transfer the hook ups from the center?
Should you run everything with extensions under the rubber floor mats and up behind the dash and can you even do that? Are there kits needed?

Old September 16th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Bryan Tate
When I wired my 110 I ran all the wires down to the fuse box (there is a channel behind the dash)
from there its your call. I had no wires at all, so some speaker wires were tucked in under the dash to the front doors.
I rigged some and strung them underneath like a Christmas tree lights....
Riggy, but its just speaker wire....worked fine. Same with sub wires, under the body

If you are going to tap into the harness that is under the tranny cover you may can run the wires over the tunnel but under the mat?? You can use your old wiring harness or tap in direct.
I tried to use the old harness, but the connections were corroded. So I had a stereo store fix it when the made a new sub box and added an amp.

Old September 19th, 2006, 09:36 PM
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000
Cut and splice all the wires, wrap them good so they don't chafe and run them under the mat or under the floor and back up the firewall to the new spot. It took me several stressful hours of soldering and swearing to do this project. Beer would have made it a lot easier. I had a 97 and it was a pain in the butt to make it all fit into that little box. A 94 will be a lot easier because you don't have the dome light module to move. I think I needed about a 3 foot antenna extension.
:O [==] O:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

dash, mount, radio