Defender Source Forum banner

D90 transformation post--dynmat/4.6 conversion

8K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  mfj20th 
#1 ·
Gents
I am more of a lurker than a poster here, but as a neighbor and friend of BJF, I've gotten more active. I've made some purchases from Nadir--roof rack, and Barry--heritage grill.

I have a 1997 D90 SW, that was purchased new, sold for 4 years and came back to me...
I've recently done some pretty cool upgrades--full dynmoat, black carpet, new headliner, 4.6L conversion, black powder coated rims, and awaiting my SD full cage from ECR...

I blog about my interests and the D90 always gets a lot of comments, and search engine traffic...
I thought you guys might like to see this post...
Hope this isnt considered too spammy.
Peace,
MJ

http://www.focusonthedonut.com/2009/11/18/defender-90-redux-no-boring-cars/#more-212

#2 ·
mfj20th said:
Gents
I am more of a lurker than a poster here, but as a neighbor and friend of BJF, I've gotten more active. I've made some purchases from Nadir--roof rack, and Barry--heritage grill.

I have a 1997 D90 SW, that was purchased new, sold for 4 years and came back to me...
I've recently done some pretty cool upgrades--full dynmoat, black carpet, new headliner, 4.6L conversion, black powder coated rims, and awaiting my SD full cage from ECR...

I blog about my interests and the D90 always gets a lot of comments, and search engine traffic...
Peace,
MJ

http://www.focusonthedonut.com/2009...-cars/#more-212
That 110 roll cage is custom and is built from the 90 ST cages, 90% sure of that.

#9 ·
Hi,

Damn Nice 90 !

After the Dynamat install, do think it made a significant difference ?

Im planning on Dynamating my 110, but to ship that much heavy dynamat here is going to cost alot of money.

Do you feel it was worth the investment ?

Also...please post up a pic w/ that Heritage grill !

thanks,

rob

mfj20th said:
Gents

Peace,
MJ

http://www.focusonthedonut.com/2009/11/18/defender-90-redux-no-boring-cars/#more-212

#10 · (Edited)
Rob
Thx for the note....I do think the dynomat is worth it...I did a pretty long road trip this weekend in, mostly freeway driving and the roadnoise difference is marked....everything just feels more solid....I think Barry (BJF) has posted pix of the Heritage Grill, they are really nice and look great...

I'm sure the shipping on the dynomat for a 110, overseas, will be nutty...there is a Dynoamt alternative that some of the local hot rodders/custom guys in my neighborhood use...It's a roofing material, same self -stick as dynomat, but it doesnt have the foil backing...you could get enough of this stuff to do a whole 110 for $150...It's not exactly the same--but, I think it woud do the trick...
Peace,
MJ

Follow-up Post:

Here's the pix of the grill that BJF posted...
I'll post some pix of the work on my D90 this week...
Peace
MJ

Yudda said:
Hi,

Damn Nice 90 !

After the Dynamat install, do think it made a significant difference ?

Im planning on Dynamating my 110, but to ship that much heavy dynamat here is going to cost alot of money.

Do you feel it was worth the investment ?

Also...please post up a pic w/ that Heritage grill !

thanks,

rob

#13 ·
some updates mods:
Jonathan (Wolf Fab) built some perfect crossbars, ladders, and side rails for my SD Cage setup....
This gives me the ability to use the cage as a rack, for luggage/pelican cases--w/out raising the, already too high for some garages roof height, beyond the SD cage...I had this all powder coated in semi-gloss black to match the wheels. Used nut covers from Mud UK to cover all mounting points to match the SD nut covers--highly recommended.

The cage is a perfect surfboard rack now, with pads on the main crossbars.

Also, removed stock antenna, plugged antenna hole with a Firestix, antenna cap kit--very clean, and relocated to antenna to the ARB front bar...Antenna is a 4 ft Firestix fiberglass am/fm antenna, that was cut to the exact roof height of the D90 to give me a guide in low spaces...I had a non-functioning fiberglass antenna there before to serve as a guide, now Firestix does double duty....found the whole set up at cbworld.com for under $40...all looks very clean, hated the stock chrome antenna, and having 2 antennas.

Also, added two additional pigtail power adapters alongside the console--can be tucked away when not in use, this avoids the xmas light strung cig adapter to dash for the iphone. Hardwired a Pelican LAPD police tactical flashlight and charger to an unused bolting point-behind the drivers seat, that was now free with the removal of the NAS internal cage--amazing flashlight, and with the charger, a perfect set up. Mounted a halon fire extinguisher to the opposite side.

Picked up a safari guard rear light bracket, over license plate and trying to figure out if this will become a rear fog light, an aux backup light or a worklight...need something small in a black housing---Hella matador?
Pix forthcoming this weekend...
Peace,
MJ

#16 · (Edited)
D90 Recent Upgrade Pix

Gents
Here are the pix as promised:
Install of Wolf Fab rear ladder and removable, clamped cross bars is complete after powdercoating in semi-gloss black to match stock Defender wheels and lug nuts (See use of old NAS interior roll bar pads as new surfboard pads.)

I've also included interior pix to show the full set of black Porsche carpeting, including seat boxes, with leather kick panels at corners, and covered subwoofer box immediately behind the front seats. This was all done after full dynomat throughout the entire interior (see previous post.)

The removal of the NAS cage provided two new interior mounting points for the Halon fire extinguisher on the passenger side and the Pelican LAPD tactical flashlight and charger on the driver's side. You can also see the fab'd steel/powder coated seatbelt mounts immediately adjacent.

I had been on a quest for a replacement radio antenna, and you can see the detail of the Firestix cap for the old hole, and the new 4ft Firestix AM/FM antenna mounting on the ARB Brush Bar, fed through the Heritage Grill (Thx BJF) The antenna is cut to match the D90's height. giving me a height gauge for parking garages. Also, installed the billet wing vents, that i picked up on the parts board. Any thought on what to do with the Safari guard rear light bracket...Rear fog lamp, or worklight? Is there an LED version that could work in conjunction withe the back up light?
Thx for the ideas...

Peace,
MJ

Attachments

#17 ·
Halon extinguisher source....

I've had some PM's about the Halon extinguisher, and the source....
First of all, Halon is really th best way to go...If you've ever seen the mess left by on of the powdered extinguishers, it's almost worse than a fire...

I bought a couple of these from Kansas Fire supply via ebay...I love the cool billet ones, in great colors, but the price is very good from these guys...
Here's the link...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Amere..._Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item2ea8b8c15d

Peace,
MJ

#19 ·
UOTE=KKilo23;220820]Looks good! Where did you get the black carpet from/done?[/QUOTE]

I looked everywhere for a black carpet kit for a D90 wagon with auto and couldn't find one.
A local shop ended up using the oem carpet as a template, added the leather scuff pieces, carpeted the seat risers and all the way up the firewall, replacing the cardboard nonsense. The carpeted mats on the floorboard are removable and for surf trips and road trips I just use the LR rubber mats.
Peace.

#20 ·
UOTE=KKilo23;220820]Looks good! Where did you get the black carpet from/done?
I looked everywhere for a black carpet kit for a D90 wagon with auto and couldn't find one.
A local shop ended up using the oem carpet as a template, added the leather scuff pieces, carpeted the seat risers and all the way up the firewall, replacing the cardboard nonsense. The carpeted mats on the floorboard are removable and for surf trips and road trips I just use the LR rubber mats.
Peace.[/QUOTE]

Cool thanks. :cool:

#27 ·
Truck looks great. I just purchased a 97 White ST D-90 a few weeks ago and plan to do some work on it soon. It was very low mileage (27K) but I may steal some of your ides. Looks great.

Chad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.