Defender Source Forum banner

D90 transformation post--dynmat/4.6 conversion

8K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  mfj20th 
#1 ·
Gents
I am more of a lurker than a poster here, but as a neighbor and friend of BJF, I've gotten more active. I've made some purchases from Nadir--roof rack, and Barry--heritage grill.

I have a 1997 D90 SW, that was purchased new, sold for 4 years and came back to me...
I've recently done some pretty cool upgrades--full dynmoat, black carpet, new headliner, 4.6L conversion, black powder coated rims, and awaiting my SD full cage from ECR...

I blog about my interests and the D90 always gets a lot of comments, and search engine traffic...
I thought you guys might like to see this post...
Hope this isnt considered too spammy.
Peace,
MJ

http://www.focusonthedonut.com/2009/11/18/defender-90-redux-no-boring-cars/#more-212

#29 ·
MOre tweaks to the D90...7.29.10

Some pix of the latest addition to the D90 SW:
Changed all exterior and most of the interior bulbs to LED

Added Hella work light to the Safari Guard light bracket that I picked up on the forum--the light is operated by a separate switch and is also activated with the back up light

I had already changed the carpet to black, post dynamat, and I always wanted thr rest of the interior to match the carpet and the Badger Coachworks black seat covers. So, I had a great local upholstery guru, black vinyl wrap all of the grey plastic pieces, including the door panels and interior trim pieces...looks great.

Best addition, the same guy had already installed power door locks (driver/Pass) tied to the Alpine alarm system. He thought he could build a simple auto door lock for the rear door--which was much needed. He did it, and its the most useful mod yet...completely stealth as well.

Also, BJF referred me to the MudUK's recent offer of current style black rear door cards that replace the lame vinyl over cardboard orig cards...see pix--looks great and hides the auto door lock in the rear.
lemme know if you have any questions.
Peace,
MJ

Attachments

#32 ·
I was wondering about these door cards ... they are not expensive ... are they any good?

The rest of the truck looks fantastic ... I wish I could find a decent local trim shop :-(

#34 ·
the door card is a huge improvement over stock but it takes some fiddling to get it on. I wasnt thrilled with the install but it seems to be holding up.
Looks great. See door card off ECR site as another option. Anyone know if its a LR part or a good source? Thoughts??

Attachments

#35 ·
Thats a TD5 door on ECR's site ... currently available for about $1800 from rovers north .. as opposed to 89 quid for the after market version.

Barry ... I guess the question is .... would you have one in your 110 if you were keeping it? I know how 'particular' you are about things.

#36 ·
Well I have a td5 door for my 110. Brand new unpainted with all the trimmings including the top of the line door card with the net that I want to put on my 110 if I keep it. If I sell the truck the door will be for sale. Funny I sourced every single thing separate and then RN starts selling it as a package. Oh well. In any event the stock doors on our trucks are pure crap and all the plastic card does is hide the problems. The new door is galv steel over a galv frame. Much better use of money in the long run.

But if you have a door that isn't cracked inside like Matt's wasnt then a good alternative is going mantec with the new door card for a decent long term upgrade.

Now with my 110 I have the mantec and if I ever did put a new door on I have the proper mantec plate to use it on the td5 door

#40 ·
the whole door including card ... excluding the virgin delivery ...

#42 ·
The cool thing about the Mud Door card is that is was black, and it gave us the room to hide the actuator for the power door lock.
With the larger rear tire and the Mantec carrier
It was a hassle to lock/unlock the rear door. This is a killer solution.
This and my antenna delete are my 2 favorite upgrades.
Peace. MJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.