D90 bolt on upgrade projects - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old July 10th, 2015, 11:15 AM
stevieweevie
Steven Fudge
1987 Defender 90

D90 bolt on upgrade projects

Hi all,

Thought I'd post my D90 that I'm trying to build up. Its my first LR and its great fun so far. Probalby will never be a show vehicle and unlikiely I'll do a frame off resto on it but want to upgrade it and maintain it for form and function. I like to take it on local trails so moderate off-road capability is key for me, stock isn't good enough for what I like to do and has unfortunately left me low and wet...

Pics attached of how it was when I originally purchased it -

Have recently added following, with more to follow -

ARB front / rear lockers
Terrafirma tube bumper with grill guard
HF 12k Winch
More aggressive tires

Next on list -
Rock Sliders
2 in ome lift
offroad light upgrades
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2109.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	124701   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6331.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	124702  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2015, 11:28 AM
stevieweevie
Steven Fudge
1987 Defender 90

Tire Upgrades

Purchased some retread tires from TireRecapers in TN and they worked awesome offroad even with full air pressure. Cheap - 500 bucks after tax and mounting
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6070.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	124703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6090.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	124704  

Name:	IMG_6091.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	124705  
Old July 10th, 2015, 11:36 AM
stevieweevie
Steven Fudge
1987 Defender 90

Bumper Upgrade

Went with the Terrifirma bumper, seemed to be the best pricing i could find for what I was looking for. Would like to get a skid plate style steering guard protector in the future to ad to this. I think the look of these is pretty tough along with the actual protection.

Went with HF 12k Winch, I know HF doesn't have the best reputation with long life but I did add the warranty to this and for $300 bucks it was hard to find something else that will makes more cents...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6309.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	124706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6310.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	124707  

Name:	IMG_6313.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	124708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6329.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	124709  

Name:	IMG_6316.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	124710   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6330.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	124711  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Kidzvillage
Luis Beltran
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieweevie View Post
Went with the Terrifirma bumper, seemed to be the best pricing i could find for what I was looking for. Would like to get a skid plate style steering guard protector in the future to ad to this. I think the look of these is pretty tough along with the actual protection.

Went with HF 12k Winch, I know HF doesn't have the best reputation with long life but I did add the warranty to this and for $300 bucks it was hard to find something else that will makes more cents...
It looks great! are you doing the conversion by yourself? how about the power to the winch?
from the standard bumper to the Terrafirma, is it a bolt on replacement?
Old July 10th, 2015, 11:49 AM
stevieweevie
Steven Fudge
1987 Defender 90

Thanks a ton! I love the truck and am excited to get these things installed.

I had the ARB lockers installed by a local shop, that's probably a little out of my tool box and capabilities / confidence but they did a great job for good price - relatively speaking. Those things are expensive!

Did the bumper / winch myself yesterday. All wired up and functional. Going to try and pull something with it today. . Thinking the pulling giant 20 year antenna dish in the back yard out of the ground ha.
Bolt on replacement, no special tools or cutting / welding required. Needed additional length for power cable since D90 battery is in cab rather than engine bay as most jeeps are, otherwise would have come with enough wire from winch in box. Has circuit breaker with kit as well. I did purchase 50ft wireless remote and permanently mounted to bumper by drilling a couple of holes.
Old July 10th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Kidzvillage
Luis Beltran
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieweevie View Post
Thanks a ton! I love the truck and am excited to get these things installed.

I had the ARB lockers installed by a local shop, that's probably a little out of my tool box and capabilities / confidence but they did a great job for good price - relatively speaking. Those things are expensive!

Did the bumper / winch myself yesterday. All wired up and functional. Going to try and pull something with it today. . Thinking the pulling giant 20 year antenna dish in the back yard out of the ground ha.
Bolt on replacement, no special tools or cutting / welding required. Needed additional length for power cable since D90 battery is in cab rather than engine bay as most jeeps are, otherwise would have come with enough wire from winch in box. Has circuit breaker with kit as well. I did purchase 50ft wireless remote and permanently mounted to bumper by drilling a couple of holes.
Wow! it is looking great!, I will start my plans to do the same,
Old July 14th, 2015, 03:19 PM
stevieweevie
Steven Fudge
1987 Defender 90

Rock Sliders

Added some Rock Sliders over the weekend from Rovers North. These are the Rovers North branded versions. These were kind of a pain in the ass because of rusted on bolts for me but finally went together in the end. The caked on mud didn't make things any easier

Had some help from this video which shows how to install this particular brand of slider -

Id add to the tool list for this video a big hammer with 2x4 to help "ease" the rear bracket into the outrigger hole. Mine was no longer perfectly round so the rear bracket took some encouragement to make its way into the hole. I also needed to get some large washers to use as spacers for the front bulkhead bolt to get the slider centered front to rear of vehicle. Also needed to let the front bulkhead bolt soak with PB Parts Blaster to remove to prevent stripping the bulkhead bolt off. That was a pain because of whoever removed and rigged it up last.

Hope to install 2" OME lift next weekend

Last pic is my "test run" of the winch Pulled an old satalite dish from the ground. Might try using snatch blocks next time or cut the wire down, it was super long and got a bit tangled wrapping back up but the winch does have a tensioner to help spool it back a little better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6327.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	124977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6332.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	124978  

Name:	IMG_6334.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	124979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6349.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	124980  

Name:	IMG_6350.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	124981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6352.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	124982  

Name:	IMG_6339.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	124983  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
90, d90