Custom Snorkel Fabrication - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old January 19th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Custom Snorkel Fabrication

This is another one for the project archives. I just finished a custom snorkel for my D-90 and just wanted to share the project and ideas for any of you who may attempt to make your own in the future. It turned out great. Here are a few pics and a link to the write-up.
http://www.cj-3a.com/fabricating_a_custom_snorkel.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03974.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	11768   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03977.JPG
Views:	2149
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	11769  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03978.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	11770  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Well done! Being mechanically inclined can definately save money when working on these trucks. One day I will have a welder...

I had a Safari Snorkel on my Jeep TJ years ago and it seemed the ram-air effect gave the motor a bit more pep...do you notice anything performance wise?

Keep us posted on your mods...

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have not taken the rover for a spin since the install, but I'll let you know. It's been so damn cold here the past few days....

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Talking

I know...it is going to get cold this weekend here in Cincinnati...0deg
BTW, your truck and mine truck have the same name...Grover...

Cheers...

Old January 20th, 2008, 11:11 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

Teufelhund,

where did you get the 3" pipe sections? Can you get these anywhere? What are your thoughts on PVC? Obviously not weldable but I was considering using rubber hose for the bend connections and either bending the pvc with heat or using angles
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:06 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You can get the 3" pipe sections at most good muffler shops. I got mine at a racing parts/fab shop. You can also buy them online. I think I saw them on Ebay, but I bet Summit probably sells them. I have an extra section if anyone is interested.

As for the PVC, it would work, and they do make various angles for your bends. I just think it would look cheesy. But if you are going for function versus form, then go for it. As for heating the PVC, you could only get a slight bend out of heating it up before it creases and collapses in on itself. Using flex tubing for the bends would work, but then again it would look like shop class.

Semper Fi!
Old January 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You must have some plan for securing it to the roll cage? Its hard to tell - from the back, it looks like the pipe follows the angle of the cage, but from the front it looks off - whats the real deal?

Old January 21st, 2008, 01:47 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I don't know about the angle. I agree with you, from some pictures it looks perfect and from others it looks slightly off. If you look through the page again he shows a tab a few times that is welded to the upright tube and one of the roll cage bolts goes through it to secure it. Really nicely done actually instead of having those big brackets hanging off.
Old January 21st, 2008, 01:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oh yeah, I didnt click through. Silly me.

Old January 21st, 2008, 03:21 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You have to look at directly from the side for it to parallel the roll cage. And yes, there is a tab welded to the snorkel that bolts to the cage. It's surprisingly rigid. Plus the panel that covers the fender vent is welded to the tube, so that keeps it secure as well.

Semper Fi!
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Nice Job - you have been a busy bee. Regarding the single bracket, do you think that's enough to secure it if a good sized branch got hooked on it? I'd think you'd want one higher up too.

Have you prepped her to be able to go deeper than the stock intake level yet? Do share what steps you take. One thing I hardly see is the axle vents extended too, which I think is a must.

So when are you taking her in some water? I'm doing a trail on Feb 17 with a local 4x4 club that will have a nice bit of water to play in if your interested in coming.

charles
Old January 21st, 2008, 08:13 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
We are not quite ready for water playtime. I still need to install the winch, add some armor, add some more waterproofing, plus figure out some mechanical issues.

The tubing I used it 1/16" thick, which is actually thinker than most exhaust tubing. The bracket is plenty strong enough and it would take a massive tree hit to do any damage or bend it. Next time you see my Rover I'll let do some yanking on it.

As for the wheeling, I've been meaning to join Off Camber Crawlers, but there are all those crazy rules for membership. I just need to get out to some of the functions but I am still prepping my ride.

Semper Fi!
Old January 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Ok. Just keep in mind I'm taking my POS '84 110 on this ride, so how much preparation could you need? :D

You can come as a guest on any trial ride that is not a members only event, and the base requirements are purely safety equipment and things like recovery points. You'd qualify as-is, although armor is always a good idea. The trail I am talking about is fine - maybe a diff guard would be a good idea.

charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
snorkel