Defender Source Forum banner

Custom dash for RHD to LHD conversion

95K views 142 replies 31 participants last post by  Warriorsage81 
#1 ·
As part of my general rebuild of my RHD D90 to LHD... plus a few other minor mods that are in my rebuild thread here http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36827

I need to sort out a decent dash board... however, the lower LHD plenum box is in prity poor condition and to restore will cost quite a few $, also the heater output for our cold winters is at best marginal. So, got me thinking.... why not just ditch the lot & start from scratch again, I know there are a few threads around on building custom LHD dash's but thought I'd stick mine up for reference.

Starting point was a new heater/AC unit... might as well, whilst were at it :)

Found these : http://www.vintageair.com/index.asp

What I like about them is all the vent flaps are servo controlled so there are no restrictive control push/pull cables to have to worry about routing like the old LR heater. They also have a number of universal units of varying physical size.

Next to see if I can get the loan of the mock up cases they list from a local supplier in Vancouver, can work on the layout of the dash then.

Am rather fond of the Lara Croft dash... although it would look a lot better in crinkle finish black powdercoat ;)

Attachments

See less See more
#122 ·
Been off this for a while, got a bit done today. Relocated the wiper motor 1" higher than stock.

And decided to move the water pipe pass-throughs in the bulkhead to the spare space below the dash where a hand throttle cable could be mounted. After searching around I decided the simple way was to just make the pipes out of 1/2" copper water pipe fittings.

#123 ·
Made up a temporary blanking plate for the bulkhead to locate the heater pipes, finished them off. Not bad for a 'home' plumbing job ;)

The fuse box will need moving over a bit to accommodate the water control valve but it'll all be hidden behind a new fuse box cover.

Hose connections are easily accessible in the engine bay.

Next to finish drawing up the blanking late & rework the dash demister vents, haver tried to make the old LR ones and the after market fit but there just not going too. So, time to make my own.

#126 ·
Had a set of demister vents cut & got them bent up. I must say I'm rather pleased as they fitted together quite well.

The vents accept standard 2" flex duct and I made the opening in the top trim a little narrower to introduce a bit of back pressure. This should hopefully give a good spread of air.... we shall have to see how that goes. They also are a direct drop in and use the existing mounting holes too.

#130 ·
Got back to doing some work on my custom dash, all the panels are now powder coated and being installed for the last time. Found it easier to install the top crash pad last. Still need to make some little trims for the top ends where the plastic used to fit over but that can wait till later.

Working on connecting up all the heater vents now, then to get the LS fired up.

#141 ·
Got back to doing some work on my custom dash, all the panels are now powder coated and being installed for the last time. Found it easier to install the top crash pad last. Still need to make some little trims for the top ends where the plastic used to fit over but that can wait till later.

Working on connecting up all the heater vents now, then to get the LS fired up.
Are these the T7 vents or something else?