Custom dash for RHD to LHD conversion - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old April 16th, 2014, 03:55 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
Here is the draft model for the passenger side, glove box opening measures approx 10" wide, 6" high & 6" deep, it slopes slightly down inside to stop things rolling out. Above will be a chunky grab handle for those interesting moments

Question is.... is it too big ?

Would a 12V & USB socket be useful to the right of the glove box... what about a USB socket on the inside for phone charging ?
The more power options the better. A USB and cig lighter socket would be great inside the glovebox.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2014, 07:43 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Also having an 'always on' charger in the locking glove box would be invaluable if you need to leave your phone in there while you do something else
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
Also having an 'always on' charger in the locking glove box would be invaluable if you need to leave your phone in there while you do something else
My thoughts exactly.... ok, will add both to the outside & a USB on the inside.

Thanks !

Have to wait now for 2 weeks to get the parts cut
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2014, 12:57 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Gives you time to get forum feedback on your center section
Old April 16th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
Gives you time to get forum feedback on your center section
I need the passenger side in place so I can hang the cardboard mock-ups off it for the center section... my water jet cutters are super busy at present.... snow's gone & construction is starting back up. We only get 5/6 months building time here before we start to get snowed in again... it gets crazy busy over summer
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:27 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Bit more done on the centre section, the DIN hole is just 6.5" deep to the closest point on the bulkhead behind so will be very tight for many head units. The newer crop of digital only should work ok as they appear to be around 4" deep.

Can't decide which way to go... bump it out further or leave as is and keep it all tight.

Thoughts.... ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash Assembly.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	93407  
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:52 AM
göktu
göktuğ tuncer

seems to be perfect.

dont understand why anyone didnt do something like your project till now.

very nice job!
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:43 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Bit more done on the centre section, the DIN hole is just 6.5" deep to the closest point on the bulkhead behind so will be very tight for many head units. The newer crop of digital only should work ok as they appear to be around 4" deep. Can't decide which way to go... bump it out further or leave as is and keep it all tight. Thoughts.... ??
I think we can all agree that the CD player is going the way of the dodo... That said the cb radio is alive and kicking! I wouldn't worry about the depth, a bezel could tackle the depth issue and since you are using metal it would be easy enough to mount
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:08 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Man what a huge effort.

I think the width of the current center section will be too wide and encroach on the occupants space. Have you considered having each side angled slightly that would get it away from the driver / passenger some and would also allow you to provide a little depth to the center section. Kind of what they did with the later puma dash.

One other thing have you considered rolling the lower section instead of having such a sharp bend? I would always be worried about what would happen to my knees offroading or in an accident.

Here is a pic of the puma dash with your design you could even mount some switches on the driver side angle part.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dash.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	93408  
Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:45 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Man what a huge effort.
Thanks, keeps me from watching the TV in the evenings.

Quote:
I think the width of the current center section will be too wide and encroach on the occupants space. Have you considered having each side angled slightly that would get it away from the driver / passenger some and would also allow you to provide a little depth to the center section. Kind of what they did with the later puma dash.
The width is dictated by the size of the HVAC unit, can't go any smaller without moving it to the engine side of the bulkhead & don't want to do that. The center section is only 1/4" off the HVAC unit, no room for angled sides & if I did it'd stick out further into the driver/passenger space. It'd also impinge into the gear shift area more too, mine's an auto so no issue for me but it may be for a manual & there are no other 90/110's here in town to look at for measurements.

Quote:
One other thing have you considered rolling the lower section instead of having such a sharp bend? I would always be worried about what would happen to my knees offroading or in an accident.
Yes, but I only have a single plane box/pan bender so bends are designed around that. The lower edge bend is also tight to the lower steering column shroud so it'd only be a 1/2" radius or a small flat facet. If it were 'productionised' then I'd add a roll to it.

Quote:
Here is a pic of the puma dash with your design you could even mount some switches on the driver side angle part.
I used the Puma as inspiration, will have a top pod for gauges & switches once the center section is done

------ Follow up post added April 22nd, 2014 07:46 AM ------

Quote:
I think we can all agree that the CD player is going the way of the dodo... That said the cb radio is alive and kicking! I wouldn't worry about the depth, a bezel could tackle the depth issue and since you are using metal it would be easy enough to mount
Have already sketched up a 'deep' front with an extra inch of depth behind the radio slot. Just in case I change my mind
Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:56 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy

We did a bit of window shopping whilst we were back in the UK visiting family before Christmas.... if only
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hunters-1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	93410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hunters-2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	93411  

Name:	Hunters-3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	93412  
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:00 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
We did a bit of window shopping whilst we were back in the UK visiting family before Christmas.... if only
I don't know Andy, with your skill and craftsmanship I would take one of your build over a stock Land Rover.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:54 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Had a think about the mounting of the vents, heater controls & radio in the center section and how to connect them up easily. I'm going to put them into a sub panel that mounts to & behind the main center panel. All initial connections can be made then much easier and they then don't need to be disassembled for general servicing.

Will also mean I can get them all roughly in place before I commit to getting the metal cut for the main center panel
Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:59 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Had a think about the mounting of the vents, heater controls & radio in the center section and how to connect them up easily. I'm going to put them into a sub panel that mounts to & behind the main center panel. All initial connections can be made then much easier and they then don't need to be disassembled for general servicing.

Will also mean I can get them all roughly in place before I commit to getting the metal cut for the main center panel
removable panel is the way to go, that way if you decide to change up switches or add accessories you don't need to drop the whole dash to do it. then again if you put the whole center section on a hinge who cares about taking it apart :D
Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:16 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
removable panel is the way to go, that way if you decide to change up switches or add accessories you don't need to drop the whole dash to do it. then again if you put the whole center section on a hinge who cares about taking it apart :D
No real room for anything extra in that panel... has the 2 front vents, heater controls & single DIN hole for the radio/CB. By the time it's wired & the vent hoses connected to the heater it'll be a tight fit getting it all in. It really makes you appreciate what the design engineers at LR have to go through to package all the stuff in the Puma dash and they can design custom ducting to fit the available space. Putting the heater box in the engine bay would make a big difference but it's not something I wanted to do. If you look at the Icon D90 they had the same issues & ended up chopping a large hole in the top of the passenger foot well to house the HVAC unit. That gets it away from a simple nut & bolt install job.

BTW, The top pod should have enough room for 3 x 52mm gauges & a 6 way Carling switch bank.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:29 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
BTW, The top pod should have enough room for 3 x 52mm gauges & a 6 way Carling switch bank.
That's really all you need anyway; you could still add a mud pod on top if you needed more
Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:09 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
That's really all you need anyway; you could still add a mud pod on top if you needed more

My pod is in place of the MUD pod... sits on top of the dash over the ashtray hole. Here is the dash with the removable centre section mounting added in. I reduced the gaps between the components quite a bit so I can add some angle to the side panels too. Just got to work out the bend sequence so I can make them. Might bump the top bit out an inch or so for better clearance behind the radio, have to see how that looks later and want to keep the flat area below usable for a little cargo net or tablet mount.

Top pod will secure to the top pad centre mounting hole & the top of the centre section with a removable front. Should keep it looking neat & tidy then

Cut parts ordered for the passenger side & centre removable panel...... I hate waiting for things
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dash Assembly.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	93501  
Old April 25th, 2014, 01:05 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy

First rendering of the dash with the top gauge/switch pod added on. Still need to work out final mounting tab sequence so I can bend it & then assemble easily to the dash hiding as many of the fixings as possible. Needs some more finessing of the shape to make it look a bit less boxy...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dash Rendering.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	93592  
Old April 25th, 2014, 06:54 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
First rendering of the dash with the top gauge/switch pod added on. Still need to work out final mounting tab sequence so I can bend it & then assemble easily to the dash hiding as many of the fixings as possible. Needs some more finessing of the shape to make it look a bit less boxy...
So impressed! Looks great. I was thinking about your project last night (chill, I wasn't dreaming about it, I was awake), have you considered an angled switch bank (carling) on the lower left drivers side of the center section. If you bumped it out a bit and gave it an angle it would increase the amount of accessory locations on the dash (people love switches and USB ports)
Old April 25th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
So impressed! Looks great. I was thinking about your project last night (chill, I wasn't dreaming about it, I was awake), have you considered an angled switch bank (carling) on the lower left drivers side of the center section. If you bumped it out a bit and gave it an angle it would increase the amount of accessory locations on the dash (people love switches and USB ports)
I might add some later, but it would be as an add-on pod... bit like the top one. Keeps options open then & makes the centre section easier to bend up. Need to get it all in & see how the clearance to the knees & shifter look... as the truck may get an NV4500 next

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
conversion, dash, lhd, rhd