Custom dash for RHD to LHD conversion - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old January 12th, 2014, 04:45 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Andy,

Any chance you'd go the other way and try to make the setup more minimalist?

There's really not a lot of space in the cab as it is, having all that stuff (like a glovebox, etc) may make it a bit cramped?

I personally loved running my Defender minus the lower dash and would love a setup without a dash altogether.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
Just enough room on RHS of instrument binnacle to get the duel lever heater control in against the central cover section, so have added it. Will draw up a bowden cable mounting bracket for the vent flap end next & test it out. If that works OK the old RHD heater cables should be long enough to do both flaps. Will just need a used vent control to salvage a couple of cable grips & screws. Should make a nice 'OEM' looking install if it works
Tried it out and it works awesome, opens the vent to about 70 degrees up. Next to draw up a retaining bracket to hold the cable. Also tried pulling the vent open when latched closed and it takes quite a bit of force, deff more than can be exerted by a foam seal I think.

------ Follow up post added January 12th, 2014 04:45 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Andy,

Any chance you'd go the other way and try to make the setup more minimalist?

There's really not a lot of space in the cab as it is, having all that stuff (like a glovebox, etc) may make it a bit cramped?

I personally loved running my Defender minus the lower dash and would love a setup without a dash altogether.
Not really, whole concept was to put together a LHD dash with a decent heater & A/C without using any LHD parts. The glove box will exist in the space that the old dash plenum box occupied. No dash and thus no real heater/demist might work for the sunny states but would be a real PITA up here at 20c below !
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

So, here is the new vent cable bracket... had trouble getting the little doubler tab to bend at 180 degrees so estimated the bend allowance & will 'adjust' it to fit

Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Got the vent control cable brackets back from the water jet cutters.... folded & tacked together, just need to see if it'll work now

Old January 15th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
Got the vent control cable brackets back from the water jet cutters.... folded & tacked together, just need to see if it'll work now
Darn..... need to learn to read a tape measure up side down..... 60mm isn't the same as 90mm
Old January 16th, 2014, 03:19 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
Darn..... need to learn to read a tape measure up side down..... 60mm isn't the same as 90mm

However, tested the operation & it works just sweet..... just need to get the brackets recut and were all good on this bit... back to the main dash now
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I did see this crazy set up that uses levers, but it eats alot of space.

-Jeff
Digging the functionality of this. Thumb screws across the top and hinges @ the bottom- ie no tools needed to access the wiring behind the panel. Reminds me of series trucks and the long wiring behind the binnacle that allows you to remove it and work on it. Rover definitely got away from that farsightedness with the defender. Probably because of the Leyland cost control people trying to improve profitability so they could sell the company

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 19th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Started to get more detail into the drawings now, instrument binnacle tabs done and next to the glove box. Still waiting on a set of radius gauges so I can finish off the dash top pad.... getting there

Old January 19th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Andy.

How about you bend the top part of the center console so that it has approximately the same angle as the driver binnacle? That way the gauges will be easier to read and the center console looks less like a shoe box. I would also leave more room around the gauge holes. They will be difficult to install if they go all the way to the edge and it will look better if there is soon clearance around them. Compare with the MudUK Console.
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Andy.
How about you bend the top part of the center console so that it has approximately the same angle as the driver binnacle? That way the gauges will be easier to read and the center console looks less like a shoe box. I would also leave more room around the gauge holes. They will be difficult to install if they go all the way to the edge and it will look better if there is soon clearance around them. Compare with the MudUK Console.
The holes in the centre cover over the HVAC unit are for vents not gauges, so they really need to face forwards for best air dispersal & they also have the flex ducting behind them connecting to the top of the HVAC unit just below. It'd also put the radio at an angle which would then be in the same space as the HVAC unit. It's getting a bit tight for space in there.

I'll be adding a top pod to the centre console next that'll have my carling switches & some aux gauges in it. Still working on something that'll look 'nice'... and not too boxy but it's difficult as the centre console has only 5mm clearance to the HVAC units front & sides.

It also needs to be able to be bent up on my tray/pan bender so I can only bend in one plane and can't have any other bends or edges along the same bend line. Makes it a bit more complicated and does restrict the design some what.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:49 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Radius gauges arrived.....

So, got the dash top pad mostly detailed out & started to finish off the end caps.

Need a bit of help now, not sure how to create the profile for the strip of metal that wraps round the top end of the crash pad & is welded to the end cap. Don't think I can do it as a sheet metal part though, anyone help ?

Just a few small details to finish on the drivers side and can then get those parts cut & bent up....
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:34 AM
göktu
göktuğ tuncer

this is what I need.

goog luck
Old March 13th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Been away from this for a while.... made up a 'cardboard' end cap and found that both the bulkhead & top crash pad models were slightly off in their dimensions leaving the end cam about 5mm off. After lots of measuring & cross checking dimensions between reference points have got the models to a good compromise now. There is so much variation from the RHS to the LHS it makes getting a 'universal' part difficult.

So, have a set of end caps being cut & should get them tomorrow.... fingers crossed there a good fit

Here's the drivers side tidied up, if the end caps are ok can finalize the rest of these parts & get them cut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash Assembly.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	91191  
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Got the dash end caps back & bent up, they needed a bit of 'fettling' for final fit but overall they look good.

Got the drivers side dash front printed out & mocked up.

Found that the old vent control wasn't going to work along side of the binnacle so have relocated it to the underside right of the dash. Still within reach and usable.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 02:25 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Drivers side cut parts back, bent & tacked up....

Very pleased with the general fit, found a couple of small items to change but overall won't need to recut the part. Vent levers in the dash bottom are easy to operate too. Can finish off the binnacle mounting tabs now I have a solid base to work off, the cardboard mock up was a bit too floppy

Added holes for 12V & USB charging outlets....

Still undecided on best way to finish the top crash pad corner, as I've added a return lip to the top of the panel that hooks behind the lower edge of the top crash pad I think I'll have to make a separate trim panel for this area or maybe a plastic printed part.

Now just waiting on hinges/catch for the glove box from Southco dealer and a D1 interior grab handle, can then get the passenger side finished off then.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 05:05 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

With the vent controls at that height and angle aren't you going to knock into them with your knee getting in and out of the truck and also while offroading when you are banging around on the trails?
Old March 23rd, 2014, 05:09 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
nice sheet metal fab work, andy!
Old March 23rd, 2014, 07:17 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
With the vent controls at that height and angle aren't you going to knock into them with your knee getting in and out of the truck and also while offroading when you are banging around on the trails?
Think there going to have to move, more from a use point. A bigger issue is the actuator on the end of the HVAC unit, sticks out about 1/2" and is right where my knee wants to rest. Thinking I'll be making a small relocation bracket & linkage for it next and then I can chamfer off the middle cover corners. Will also improve the looks too
Old March 25th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Quote:
Think there going to have to move, more from a use point. A bigger issue is the actuator on the end of the HVAC unit, sticks out about 1/2" and is right where my knee wants to rest. Thinking I'll be making a small relocation bracket & linkage for it next and then I can chamfer off the middle cover corners. Will also improve the looks too
Swapped my Qt fiberglass comp seat back in last night and got all the clearance to the dash back. The seat back angle makes a big difference in these truck cabs with bucket style suspension seats.

Also tried the vent levers to the right of the instrument binnacle in the gap above the HVAC actuators and there is just enough room to get it into the center panel section....

So, will have a pair of Empi hi-backs seats going spare now, and need to either get another Qt comp seat or an Exmoor Trim one for the passenger side.... think the wife would prefer an Exmoor
Old March 30th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy

Spent lots of hours working on the three brackets that mount the instrument binnacle, after quite a few cardboard mock-ups finally got the angles dialled in and it fitting nice & tight to the top crash pad.

Also made quite a few small changes to the end & main dash panel, so will get them both recut this week, fingers crossed that should finish off the drivers side. Still waiting on the Southco hinges & push button catch as well as the D1 grab handle for the passenger side, hopefully they'll be here this week & can then get that side finalized.... this waiting for parts is frustrating

My new Kenwood 4" speakers arrived and now the wiper motors going to have to move up a bit for clearance even with a 15mm spacer ring. Not a big deal as I will use the old RHD tube cut & flared rather than the LHD one I have in at present. That'll get rid of the last LHD dash specific part in the conversion

Order into MUD UK for some speaker spacer rings & their nice framed mesh map pockets for the centre dash section & above our heads in the roof lining

Looking for a small map pocket to fit below the dash to the right of the speaker... needs to be no larger than 250mm wide x 150mm high.... thoughts ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
conversion, dash, lhd, rhd