Cross Member - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old September 10th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Cross Member

So this weekend I decided to get a better look at the rear cross member. It's been two years (Sept. 5th.) since I've owned her and it was due. From the surface it was just a little bubble...no big deal. Then the fun started. After I started digging around it was worse than I suspected.

I dropped the tank and took off the reciever and got out the wire brush. It's not too bad and I could leave it but I know it will only get worse. I cleaned it all up and sprayed neutralizer on it and tonight I have to button it all back up.

I orderer a new crossmember today from Safari, good thing I did it today as he only had two left. So I have two months before my new Rock Ware tire carrier arrives to get'er done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120909-00522.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	57433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120909-00523.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	57434  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2012, 11:04 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think you just motivated me to Eastwood the 90 like I did to the 110.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 13th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

So after searching through four pages of cross member threads and not finding what I need. I'm thinking of galvanizeing my new cross member before its installed and I'm thinking of painting over it after. I can do that right? I would think that the metal would need a special sorta prep right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2012, 11:53 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
don't look through crossmember threads - look through painting galvanized pieces threads. etching primer and paint from what I recall. Oh wait, you mean to put the crossmember back on - yeah there was a recent-ish discussion on that actually...what did you find?
Old September 13th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

nothing that spoke of painting Galvanized Metal. My search method was off. I'll have to look more tonight...thanks for the correction. I'm replacing my crossmember with a new one that I will have Galvanized, then I want to paint it and install it.
Old September 13th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
nothing that spoke of painting Galvanized Metal. My search method was off. I'll have to look more tonight...thanks for the correction. I'm replacing my crossmember with a new one that I will have Galvanized, then I want to paint it and install it.
Soda blasting prior to a zinc rich primer should work well to improve top layer adhesion.
Old September 13th, 2012, 01:24 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
The best coating for galvanized metal is an epoxy primer followed by a two part polyurethane. You don't need to do anything to the galvy, prep-wise. I have found that most epoxy primers are white for some strange reason, so you may want to tint before coating. Follow up with something like Interlux Perfection.
It is not going to be scrape resistant, so be prepared to keep it touched up.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 13th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
You don't need to do anything to the galvy, prep-wise
DE-GREASE and clean at least...

If galvanized metal is not prepared and painted properly, it will tend to peel over time. Clean new galvanized metal surfaces with a water based cleaner/degreaser to remove any oil or and contaminants. Once the metal has dried, dampen a cloth with white vinegar and wipe the surface down. The acid in the vinegar will act to etch the metal and help the paint adhere.
Old September 13th, 2012, 03:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have never been able to get paint to stick to galvanizing long term and I like the rover chome so I just leave it.
Old September 13th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Thanks for all of the advice...I just am not very fond of the galvy look its ok just not what I prefer. I got home a bit ago and my new cross member was sitting outside my garage with a nice big box of Exmoor!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Braunfels-20120913-00526.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	57569  
Old September 13th, 2012, 04:47 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Thanks for all of the advice...I just am not very fond of the galvy look its ok just not what I prefer. I got home a bit ago and my new cross member was sitting outside my garage with a nice big box of Exmoor!
Wow that's nice and shiny! I figured you got the crossmember with extensions - are yours fine as is, and only the crossmember is rusting?
Old September 13th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Wow that's nice and shiny! I figured you got the crossmember with extensions - are yours fine as is, and only the crossmember is rusting?
as far as I can tell I wont need the extensions, but to be honest I forgot otherwise I would have ordered them. I dropped the tank and inspected everything including the tub and its all fine. I wish safari would have wrapped the cross member now I have to clean off those six stickers and glue before I take it in...I'm complaining too much today...
Old September 13th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

The best guides I found were on aulro...that being said...the paint still does not stick very well.
Old September 13th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

so maybe I forgo having it Galvanized?!? if I want it painted. I suppose the risk is low for rust if iI treat it with a Zinc primer inside...
Old September 13th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

By the time this rusts you are probably due for an entire galv chassis, don't bother having it done.
Old September 13th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

So maybe I forgo the Galvanized treatment? Because I really want to paint it. Would it really matter so much it I just treated the inside with a Zinc primer instead?
Old September 13th, 2012, 05:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes it matters. Chassis in the UK often get multiple rear crossmembers (I know the 83 I imported had one and needed another yet the chassis rails were perfect). The paint on the replacement crossmembers sucks and there is no protection to the steel where there are layers so it should be dipped. Why not leave the galvanized exposed? Maybe it is because I love series trucks, but exposed galvanizing is a great look for a rover.

I now see you have one in bare metal. If you primer and then paint it and then waxoyl, you should be fine. BTW those are a royal PITA to install properly without extensions.
Old September 13th, 2012, 06:07 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Since its relatively small and off the truck, why not just dip it yourself in the paint of your choice? Make up a shallow trough out of some ply or something and line it with some plastic sheet. Drop in the cross member and pour in a gallon of paint. Rotate it around a bit every so often to get coverage, then hang it up to dry? Make the trough as close a fit to the cross member as practical and the paint will go further. Pour back into the can what you don't use and use it for touch up later.

You can always rub down any runs or drips on the back surface after and touch it up with spray or a brush. As long as the paint gets into all the nooks and crannies then it should help stop the rust getting started? Touch up the welded areas later on the side rails after you have fitted it with a brush or spray again.
Old September 13th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Bill, I bought the same one from Safari HP. I welded up all the extra holes and galvanized. Then will paint once its installed. Clean good with degreaser, prime with etching prime then paint. Eastwood has all the stuff.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old September 13th, 2012, 07:31 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Since you are in Texas now, doubt you wil have another issue with rust. My truck has spent its life in ga and has zero rust or corrosion.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects