Closing in on a winch, final thoughts? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old July 24th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Winch theft should be the least of your concerns.
It happened to my buddy's Jeep truggy parked outside of my house. I live in the affluent whites/Northface families part of town. The being said, I'll take my chances.
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2014, 06:06 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
You guys hang out with the wrong Jeepers
Old July 24th, 2014, 06:18 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
I once knew someone with a jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

You can't go wrong with the 8274, had them on all my series rigs. If you Goooooooooooooooooooogle it there are 2 places that sell repair parts for them. 1 in Minn and 1 in Cali. May be others but I don't know them.
One advantage of the design is the mounting bolts are in the direction of pull, with the bottom bolted winches the bolts are in shear.
Want to impress your buddies in fast recovery go to the Gigglepin website and upgrade you 8274!
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 24th, 2014, 08:22 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I remember seeing a video on youtube where a guy welded the ends of a 3/16" thick strap of steel onto the winch bumper so that the strap laid on top of one of the winch bolts. (not welding the bolt itself, just covering it.)

Only one bolt was necessary to cover to prevent theft, and it would deter all but the most serious of criminals, since removing the strap would involve cutting or grinding the steel strap - neither of which are quiet or quick operations.
Old July 24th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I've thought of just putting a tack weld on the bolts. It'd be easy enough to cut if you needed to remove it, and it would deter the opportunist.
Old July 25th, 2014, 07:10 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
thanks guys for all your responses. i'll have to think about this over the weekend.

If I got the 8274, I'd have to fab a nice heavy gauge steel box (only need sides, front, and bottom) and weld that into the bumper winch tray. Then I'd have to come close to matching the gauge of the bumper to weld a piece onto the front since my box will be higher than the winch tray, grind it down at the seam to match. This way it'll look like the higher welded in box has always been part of the bumper tray (I know it's aesthetics, but if I'm doing all this might as well go all the way and make it look good).

Or, as Josh succinctly put it, I could just get a 9.5 (9000, 8000, etc.) and bolt it in and done. which would be just fine for what i'm doing.

I have this pic of a friend's 90 and how he did the battery box. I'll have to find it and post if here.
Old July 25th, 2014, 07:16 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
here's his battery tray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1994 Defender 90 battery 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	99361  
Old July 25th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Seems like your decision is made. So stop dithering Man and DO IT. Sheesh...,,

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 25th, 2014, 07:30 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Randy I have a winch plate for an 8274 you can have as a starting point. You'd probably want to add sides but the rest should be perfect for you. Shipping might be pricey but maybe there will be a rurr opportunity. Otherwise places do sell them for under $100.

If you are interested I can get you pictures tonight.
Old July 25th, 2014, 08:13 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Seems like your decision is made. So stop dithering Man and DO IT. Sheesh...,,
dithering might be my only strong suit.

------ Follow up post added July 25th, 2014 08:18 AM ------

Quote:
Randy I have a winch plate for an 8274 you can have as a starting point. You'd probably want to add sides but the rest should be perfect for you. Shipping might be pricey but maybe there will be a rurr opportunity. Otherwise places do sell them for under $100.

If you are interested I can get you pictures tonight.
Thanks Charles. Let me figure out what I'm going to do this weekend. It really comes down to vanity/take this jeepers and shove it (8274, because I know I won't be close to using it to its full capacity) or practicality (8000/9000).

I'll borrow a beagle this weekend, get some cheap whiskey, and mull it over.
Old July 25th, 2014, 09:29 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Just got with the 9.5 and be done with it.

Yes the 8274 is all that and a box of cookies. However the 9.5 is sufficiently strong and fast for your needs.

Either get a good used one (or a basket case with the intent on rebuilding it all fancy, and don't be afraid of a rebuilt winch, I've rebuilt mine twice) or a new one. Get synthetic line and for the east coast, all you need is 100 ft. But synthetic is amazing. Very forgiving and easy to handle. People will try and tell you its weak and is damaged easily. Well if you are an absolute idiot then yes.

Just get a thimble at the end of the synthetic. No big dumb hook that'll just rust shut when you need it.

If you are really worried about having enough winch line, then order up a 50ft extension. Then you can be like me, and have 50 ft of brand new, never been used synthetic sitting in the back of your truck for 12 years.

Really any winch will work but with one of these strong, fast winches, you'll be happy. Just remember to fully pull the cable out and under light load, reel it in. Do this once a month. Prevents your winch from rusting up. Also just testing it out, its easier to find problems the month before your trip rather than knee deep in misery in BFE.

The stock electrical system in good condition can handle winch use no problem. Heck I've done full pulls with just the battery, and had enough to crank the engine afterwards.

However if you have to winch, just increase the engine RPMs to like, 2k or so during the entire winching. Then for like, 30 minutes afterwards, keep electrical power requirements to a minimum. Then you should be fine. If you fully kill the battery and need a jump, then run on minimal power for like, an hour and everything will be alright.

Lastly, put your controller, tree strap, and shackles behind your seat BEFORE you go off road. If they are in the box in the back...and your rear door is sitting against a tree preventing you from opening it...none of this does you any good.
Old July 25th, 2014, 10:29 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

In cab winch controls FTW! :D
Old July 25th, 2014, 10:33 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
In cab winch controls FTW! :D
Pics or it didn't happen!
Old July 25th, 2014, 10:34 AM
aquatiger
S
none

Registry
Winch

I'll be taking this bumper off and replacing it with a stock bumper. You could buy my winch if it fits. I'm in northern NJ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 10.32.40 AM.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	99362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 10.34.01 AM.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	99363  

Old July 25th, 2014, 10:47 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Although I agree, I'd point out that I that was out general attitude we'd probably all drive jeeps
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
Just got with the 9.5 and be done with it.
Old July 25th, 2014, 10:51 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
Pics or it didn't happen!
Obviously this is my D1.
Volume + = Winch Out
Volume - = Winch In

These labels later came off because they were ugly.
Three way toggle switch. Up supplies power to my Puma Compressor. Middle is Off. Down is power to the above in cab winch controls.
Pneumatic lockers switches are to the right of the three way switch.

I still retain the winch remote socket on the front, too. Seen behind the Hella in the grill.
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:48 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Yeah Max, good points. Lots of thinking to do this weekend.

------ Follow up post added July 25th, 2014 01:48 PM ------

Quote:
Although I agree, I'd point out that I that was out general attitude we'd probably all drive jeeps
Bingo

------ Follow up post added July 25th, 2014 01:50 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatiger View Post
I'll be taking this bumper off and replacing it with a stock bumper. You could buy my winch if it fits. I'm in northern NJ.
Thanks Shawn, pm sent
Old July 25th, 2014, 02:42 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
If you are going for custom controls, the non intigrated winches are the ones to get. You can remote mount the solenoid/contactor pack and hard wire in your controls.

-Jeff
I could have done that but lets be honest, using those Volume +/- buttons isn't really any easier than reaching over and adjusting the dang radio itself. So they were basically taking up space and now they're put to use and look sano. FWIW they control relays that control the solenoid, they aren't going straight to the solenoid themselves.
My solenoid is remotely mounted behind the grill. The stock remote plug is mounted in the grill. And there are also the in cab controls which are only Hot when I flip the 3-way switch. The biggest obstacle was mounting those damn pneumatic switches for the lockers and the 6 airlines needed for them.
Old July 25th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
If you are going for custom controls, the non intigrated winches are the ones to get. You can remote mount the solenoid/contactor pack and hard wire in your controls.

-Jeff
Its really not any more difficult on an integrated solenoid winch. I had mine all apart to install larger power and ground cables. There are two screws to remove the plug for the winch controller.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
ht, winch