Cleaning Headliner - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old February 18th, 2015, 07:43 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
Cleaning Headliner

My headliner is in pretty good shape but the light grey is pretty filthy...not quite sure what the material is but what have people found to be the best to clean it with? I was almost tempted to use a Mr clean magic eraser but again not really sure of the material...

In the warm weather I may remove it to fix some minor sagging around the skylights...anyone resurface their headliner, and did you glue it directly to the current material?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57 (16).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	114076  

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2015, 08:04 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
I have had a couple cars professionally cleaned. They don't recommend anything but vacuuming the headliner.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old February 18th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I was talking to Dave Marchand (known for being fastidious-thats not a bad thing) and he's going to peel one back to the cardboard backer and have it shot with Line X. That combo will never sag and can be cleaned with spray cleaners and a paper towel.

If its sagging anywhere it will all fall if you mess with it. The backer is a thin open cell foam that breaks down over time and thats why it sags. Any chemical hastens that process.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Mineral spirits on a clean rag
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:39 PM
blenkush
Severin Blenkush
97 D90 LE, 10 Lotus Exige S, 05 LR3

Headliner repair

The factory headliner in my 97 NAS separated in most areas and was sagging as you described. I searched unsuccessfully for similar material because I wanted to maintain a factory look. I pulled both front and rear headliners out (removed roll bar), peeled the factory material off the fiberglass (the foam disintegrates causing the sagging), scraped and vacuumed the foam residue from both sides, glued a thin layer of neoprene to the fiberglass (purchased off eBay) to act as a cushion, then glued the material to the neoprene. I used large ziplock bags full of sand to keep the neoprene then material moulded to the fiberglass while the glue dried. the process was time consuming but the results were very good and I retained the factory look. While the headliner was out I Dynomat lined the roof and added a layer of that silver bubble insulation. It cut some of the noise down. It's all holding well almost two years later. Good luck! I have a few pics somewhere if you'd like to see.
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:03 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I was talking to Dave Marchand (known for being fastidious-thats not a bad thing) and he's going to peel one back to the cardboard backer and have it shot with Line X. That combo will never sag and can be cleaned with spray cleaners and a paper towel. If its sagging anywhere it will all fall if you mess with it. The backer is a thin open cell foam that breaks down over time and thats why it sags. Any chemical hastens that process.
I've seen something like this done with a rubberized undercoating spray. Maybe that helps soften the feel a bit. Don't know how well that surface would clean up though.

Old February 20th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Ncrover725
Bobby
1985 110

Registry
On my D1 I removed all fabric and painted it with almond colored rust oleum. Zero issues for about 3 years now. Stephen at SafariHP dyed my 110 headliner a charcoal color and it looks great.
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:48 AM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Had mine done..

Quote:
Originally Posted by icnsltmfg View Post
My headliner is in pretty good shape but the light grey is pretty filthy...not quite sure what the material is but what have people found to be the best to clean it with? I was almost tempted to use a Mr clean magic eraser but again not really sure of the material...

In the warm weather I may remove it to fix some minor sagging around the skylights...anyone resurface their headliner, and did you glue it directly to the current material?

at a local shop and they found an 80's Mercedes Vinyl that looks almost identical. Matches the sunvisors which I did not have redone and it looks great. Kinda pricey tho..

If anyone want the fabric code I'm sure they would give it to me. Let me know if anyone wants pictures...

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Lasalle etc headliners seem crazy money. Need to figure out a DIY/Cheap Bastard solution for a SW with bare roof (and external ribs)

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 20th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

You can clean it with baby wipes and/or windex and it comes out great. The UK forums recommend baby wipes.
Old February 20th, 2015, 02:03 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben01 View Post
You can clean it with baby wipes and/or windex and it comes out great. The UK forums recommend baby wipes.
Might as well start with that....and if I pull the headliner down to insulate, I can always use a few matching Christmas tree pins to hold up the few sagging areas...

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old February 20th, 2015, 06:04 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
I'm telling you guys, the best thing to clean virtually anything on these trucks is the old Bleche White. Before McGuiars took it over. Cleans everything but ya gotta pay attention..

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects