Chassis rust removal and protection - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old March 27th, 2014, 07:52 PM
landrovermanuk
John Lindsay
1986 Land Rover 90, 3.9Efi

Registry
Sounds good to me. I need to have a chat with my local galviniser. Trouble is, every time I drop by he's out...

Land Rover owners like it rough and dirty...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2014, 06:08 PM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

Can anyone give me a ballpark cost on having my frame HDG'd? I'm about to start my project, trying to figure out some costs before I start.
Old April 18th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovermanuk View Post
I understand that and realise that these companies pay for articles to be written.
However what they said made sense. They said that patches on the chassis can trap air which expands when heated by the zinc distorting or blowing a hole in the chassis. Secondly unless the chassis has been chemically dipped it could still have rust or dirt inside the rails...
If it works ok I would consider doing mine as it needs a rear crossmember but the rest is good and a chap close by builds the crossmember out of 6 mm steel and I love the idea of such a strong tow point.... John
Here....all galvanizers will dip in acid and that will chemically eat/remove any rust prior to dipping it in the flux tank and then the molten zinc.
I can't see any of the issues given in that article being possible. A far more likely issue is that the chassis comes out of the heated acid bath with holes in it where the acid ate away unseen rust from inside the frame rails.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderholty View Post
Can anyone give me a ballpark cost on having my frame HDG'd? I'm about to start my project, trying to figure out some costs before I start.
Galvanizing costs can vary wildly. You need to call companies in your neck of the woods. Last fall I wanted to galvanize my sankey. One place I called quoted $1200 another $1700. Third place did the job for $215. This was with them cleaning it back to bare metal, I hate sand blasting anything that won't fit in my cabinet.
Quotes should be based on the weight of the metal as opposed to how some places price small jobs like these.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old April 18th, 2014, 11:03 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Galvanizing costs can vary wildly. You need to call companies in your neck of the woods. Last fall I wanted to galvanize my sankey. One place I called quoted $1200 another $1700. Third place did the job for $215. This was with them cleaning it back to bare metal, I hate sand blasting anything that won't fit in my cabinet.
Quotes should be based on the weight of the metal as opposed to how some places price small jobs like these.
So unfair.. seems as if you guys in the east have so many options on galvanizing shops. I am still hunting for one that isn't over 100 miles from me.. am going to call some body shops and see if they know of any that I have yet to locate.
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:26 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Have you tried ?
U.S. Galvanizing - San Antonio
5731 FM 1346
PO Box 200047
San Antonio, TX 78220-0047
United States

Don't bother with any in Houston, if you don't have an oil rig they don't want to know, I had to go to Beaumont

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old April 19th, 2014, 12:04 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
Have you tried ?
5731 FM 1346
PO Box 200047
United States

Don't bother with any in Houston, if you don't have an oil rig they don't want to know, I had to go to Beaumont
Thank you John!... if it were a snake it would have bit me.
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
So unfair.. seems as if you guys in the east have so many options on galvanizing shops. I am still hunting for one that isn't over 100 miles from me.. am going to call some body shops and see if they know of any that I have yet to locate.
The one I used was well over 100 miles away.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old April 20th, 2014, 12:02 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Have you tried ?
5731 FM 1346
PO Box 200047
United States

Well I remembered why I had missed that SA location. When I went to that link initially it was showing the Houston location only...but when I read the page again last night it says they have a SA location too. I called the number this afternoon and actually got somebody but he said they had sold the SA location and was unsure if it was still operating. So I'll call back Mon. and if not then Beaumont or I also see one in Katy. Thanks again for the info.

------ Follow up post added April 19th, 2014 11:09 PM ------

Quote:
Have you tried ?
5731 FM 1346
PO Box 200047
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
The one I used was well over 100 miles away.

Yup, I have learned they are all 150+ miles from San Marcos.. so basket of goodies on a trailer I go.
Old April 20th, 2014, 09:52 AM
chuckc4
chuck b

It doesn't seem like many people galvanize the bulkhead--any reason why you shouldn't?
Old April 20th, 2014, 10:39 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
It doesn't seem like many people galvanize the bulkhead--any reason why you shouldn't?
No reason not to get the B/H done, did mine and no warping, with all the items I did I was still under the weight limit for the base cost.

When do you intend on going?

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old April 20th, 2014, 12:12 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
No reason not to get the B/H done, did mine and no warping, with all the items I did I was still under the weight limit for the base cost.

When do you intend on going?
Have to wait till tomorrow so I can make some calls...but it's looking like I'll be headed towards the Houston/Beaumont area. Which is cool by me because I'll get to visit my brother and his familia. I was crawling around underneath just now and I'm seeing that I got to this little one just in time ..oh and I now have a patch of oil in my driveway lol

------ Follow up post added April 20th, 2014 11:19 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
Everything will be galvanized.. I just started inspection and I'm also seeing I may be replacing a few cross members in the rear. As far as the floor.. lets just say I am seeing daylight where I shouldn't be lol This is going to be a labor of love and I'm thinking if I can keep the cost for the rehab under $15k I'll be a happy camper

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects